Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918 by JFC Fuller

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ElliotF

Post by ElliotF »

Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918 by John, Frederick Charles Fuller (1878-1966).

Major General JFC Fuller, who served in the British Armed Forces during WWI, examines the role of tanks in WWI and armed conflict in general. ( Elliot Figueira)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24180642M/Tanks_in_the_great_war_1914-1918
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: gqtR9YVQ
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (John, Frederick Charles Fuller) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._F._C._Fuller
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 41
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Elliot Figueira Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: history, WWI, war, tank

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918, by John, Frederick Charles Fuller. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918 by John, Frederick Charles Fuller. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918, by John, Frederick Charles Fuller. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename tanksinthegreatwar19141918_##_fuller.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tanksinthegreatwar19141918_01_fuller.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: John, Frederick Charles Fuller
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Tanks in the Great War, 1914-1918

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Eliot!

This looks like a worthy project! But please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very talkative DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

I'm moving this to Book Suggestions until you've done the test, and (I hope) a little in a group project. When you're ready to do the solo, post in the thread, and an admin will move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

This is a large project. I would be willing to work with one or more readers on this, but it is a lot to take on as a solo for me anyway.
Bill2147

Post by Bill2147 »

If another reader wanted to take half the chapters I would like to work on this after I finish the ones I am working on now. It would take me a while to read this. When I finish David Crockett maybe I'll look at it. If I am not mistaken the man who wrote it served in WWII also and wrote about that also.
fredreads

Post by fredreads »

I may be interested in helping with this . . .
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

JFC Fuller is mentioned on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._F._C._Fuller

(But wikipedia doesn't mention this book.)

His dates are 1878-1966

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on May 6th, 2015, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So he's not PD anywhere but in the USA. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
fredreads

Post by fredreads »

TriciaG wrote:So he's not PD anywhere but in the USA. :)
Does that mean it could not be done?

Thanks!

Fred
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No - it means LibriVox can host it - but only USA residents can legally read it. Which cuts down the number of available readers.

Anne
fredreads

Post by fredreads »

annise wrote:No - it means LibriVox can host it - but only USA residents can legally read it. Which cuts down the number of available readers.

Anne
Thanks for the clarification Anne - still new here . . . :)

I'd be interested in helping with this as part of a group reading . . .
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Project Gutenberg has now made an ebook of this: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49808
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919