COMPLETE Selected Interviews with Robert Ingersoll,Vol 2-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teddy wrote:Hi, may I have Sections 2, 4 & 5 as well?

Is Section 8 a mistake as it has the same title as Section 4, only with a slight change in the number of words i.e., 996 and 966?
Thanks for catching that. It's a lot of info to keep straight so the more eyes on it, the better. :)
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Teddy

"Under all discouragements, he pursues his object, and yields to nothing but impossibilities." - Rights of Man, by Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Please may I have Section 9: Justice Harlan and the Civil Rights Bill...I feel I am getting my own back for all the criticism of the English by Thomas Paine... :twisted:
Teddy

"Under all discouragements, he pursues his object, and yields to nothing but impossibilities." - Rights of Man, by Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sure, Teddy, 9 is yours! Turnabout is fair play, or so some say!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 20, Wow, a long, hard-hitting message, and well delivered! Thanks, Kristin.

A few things to correct before I edit my part in:

.44 lifeless, I hear liceless
.48 of others who staked out, remove who
1:32 have filled their lives with content, I hear eyes
2:01 Had she then, is slurred
2:32 is virtue in danger, I hear "a danger"
5:10 It is where one party promises, I hear part.
6:15 After Marriages are made by men and women, a Slurred word, then these next few sentences are in the wrong order:They are not made by the State, and they are not made by the gods. By this time people should learn that human happiness is the foundation of virtue—the foundation of morality. Nothing is moral that does not tend to the well-being of sentient beings.
6:33 that does not tend to the well-being of sentient beings. to is missing, and I hear sen-ti-nent for sen-ti-ent.
9:47 vice, I hear "wice"
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 2, Star Route Trials

between 2:00 and 3:30 or thereabouts: Ainger, you pronounce "anger" several times. I don't know the correct pronunciation, but to avoid confusion, you could say Ain-jer, with a "j". Your choice, I'm just mentioning it.
10:10 prosperous, I hear prospus
11:43 dis-franchise, I hear "dis-en-franchise". Do they mean the same thing? I don't know. Wouldn't be hard to cut out the 'en'.

Oh, I just love the last answer! I've been saying that for years. Did I get it from Ingersoll? I can't remember.
Walt Whitman, "I loaf and invite my soul." A lovely ending. The rain is also a nice touch, alas, it won't make the final cut.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 4, Civil Rights Bill, compiled, ready for final PL. Ball is in your court, Teddy. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_04_128kb.mp3 6:48
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 4, Civil Rights Bill PL'd Okay...nice editing as always Michele.

I will make changes you suggest to Section 2 tomorrow, Sunday, and upload, without the storm...
Teddy

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 2, without the storm...I was just trying add a little authenticity as it is in the script...I just hope it made you smile... :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_02_ek_128kb.mp3
Teddy

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Here is Section 9: Justice Harlan and The Civil Rights Bill.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_09_ek_128kb.mp3

Size: 15.25
Time: 16:15

Ingersoll was a great man, what a shame he is not alive today; if we are bring him alive today, by bringing his words to a new audience, then it is worth our time and effort.

Enjoy...
Teddy

msfry

Post by msfry »

Teddy wrote:Section 2, without the storm...I was just trying add a little authenticity as it is in the script...I just hope it made you smile... :)
Section 2 is compiled and ready for final PL. In your court now, Teddy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_02_128kb.mp3 17:56

I love surprises, so of course I LOL'd at the thunder storm sound effect. Even more, the last paragraph made me laugh AND clap AND shout hurray. As you Brits say, BRILLIANT!

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 2 is well recorded as always and PL'd okay.

My only comments, which you can obviously choose to ignore if you wish, are that I think the first deep breath you take just before speaking the introduction could be removed. I think breathing sounds are fine during the recording as they add an atmosphere to the recording and make it sound 'live' and less like it was recorded in a studio. My only other comment is one I have made before which is the gap between question-and-answer-and-question, which I think is generally a little too long. I can understand a reasonable gap between a complicated question and answer, to allow Ingersoll time to think (not that I think he needed much time to think of his answers) but the gap between the very short question and answer session between 11:40 and 11:50 is I think particularly long. My experience of reporters is that they are ready to ask the next question immediately the interviewee has drawn breath. I think the gap between Ingersoll's answer and the reporters question of "But who will win" at 15:14 of 0.86 seconds is perfect. But this is entirely your call.

Have you ever used the 'Truncate Silence' function in Audacity? I use it all the time. It allows me to leave large gaps whilst recording, then reduce the gaps automatically. If you haven't tried it I suggest the following settings: Truncate Detected Silence. Detect Silence Level -35db; Duration 0.5 seconds; Truncate to 0.9 seconds.
Teddy

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 re-uploaded with recommendations. New time -5 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_02_128kb.mp3 17:51

Good catch on the opening breath. You can tell I had intended to remove that one as with it, the opening silence was more than 1 second. As to the other gaps, it is a matter of taste but I tightened the mentioned parts up a bit for you. I generally like the question to sink into the reader's mind, and sometimes I like Ingersoll's more pithy answers to "hold" the space for awhile before being trampled over by the rapacious reporter's next question. No doubt just wishful thinking!

No I haven't tried the Truncate Silence feature, but my settings don't read like yours. Mine say:
Min silence duration: x milliseconds
Max silence duration: x milliseconds
Silence compression: x:1
Threshhold for silence: x dB

And I still don't understand what it would be used for. Do you want all your gaps to be the same length?
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Section 2 PL okay.

What version of Audacity are you using, I am on 2.0.6

There are two choices on the version I have: Truncate Detected Silence and Compress Excess Silence, the second option has a percentage compression ratio.

No, I don't want all my silences the same length, but what I do is use Truncate Silence to get rid of all the big gaps so that they are all the same length, then as I listen to the recording again I increase those that I think should have longer pauses, rather then editing the length of each pause individually. I just thought you might find the tool useful for when you have to insert your words between Ingersoll's answers when the gaps in Ingersoll's answers vary so much i.e., depending on the reader.
Teddy

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 3 is compiled, uploaded, and ready for PL. Your turn again, Teddy. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ingersollinterviewsvol2_03_128kb.mp3 7:45