This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/annual-reports-to-the-massachusetts-board-of-education-by-horace-mann/
Horace Mann is called "The Father of the Common School" and was one of the first progressive thinkers on education in the United States. His Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education, written between 1837 and 1848, are wide-ranging essays on a variety of educational topics, including philosophical arguments on the role of education in a democracy, curricular matters such as textbook choice and methods of reading instruction, and nitty-gritty details of classroom furnishings and buildings. Even in the much-changed society of the 21st century, Mann's writing still speaks to us, recalling us to the roots of our faith in a free and equal education for all. (Summary by Maria Kasper)
- Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/lecturesannualre01manniala#page/xii/mode/2up, https://archive.org/stream/annualreportsone00mannuoft#page/x/mode/2up
- Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
BC Admin ===========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
[*] Project Code: Pt1scc5F
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Horace Mann) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Mann
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1837-1848
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Education; *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)
Keywords that describe the book: Massachusetts, education, schools, Horace Mann
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
- "Section [number] of Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
"Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education, by Horace Mann. [1st, 2nd, etc] Annual Report, part #"
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
- "Section [number] of Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education by Horace Mann. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
"[1st, 2nd, etc] Annual Report, part #"
- At the end of the section, say:
"End of Section [#]"
- At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education, by Horace Mann. "
- "Recording by [your name]"
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
[*]Example filename annualreportseducation_##_mann_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. annualreportseducation_01_mann_128kb.mp3)
[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Horace Mann
Title: [1st, 2nd, etc] Annual Report, part #
Album: Annual Reports to the Massachusetts Board of Education
Transfer of files (completed recordings)[/b]
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: iq - icequeen
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post below[/list]