New desktop software for browsing the LibriVox collection

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Just wanted to offer this up, for anyone who might find it useful... 8-)

Now available in a free* public BETA release (desktop software for Windows & Linux -- Mac is now available):

CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER (and iTunes importer)
-- a new way to experience the LibriVox collection of public domain M4B** audiobooks

EDIT March 1, 2015: The Mac version is now available (release v1.4.1)!!
Come one, come all -->> Mac, Linux, or Windows: http://commonvox.org/le-download

Watch the demo/tutorial (3 1/2 minutes) to see how it works: HERE.
Download the BETA software (for Windows or Linux, Mac now available): HERE.
Comments/questions?: HERE.

Features:
  • -- automatic download/import into iTunes (or download to your desktop to play with other software)
    -- plays chapters for preview purposes (or may be used as your desktop audiobook player)
    -- random browse feature, for those who are feeling lucky (or would like to get lucky)
    -- browse by Genre, Author, Reader (solo & group), or Language
    -- click on the Quick Browse: "NEWEST" button to instantly see the latest offerings in the collection
    -- use MY LIST to create your own personalized lists of Authors, Readers, and individual Audiobooks
    -- very simple interface: watch this 3 1/2 minute demo/tutorial video, and you'll be an instant expert

If you're still reading -- GOOD -- because here's the important part:
This software is not in any way produced, supported, or endorsed by LibriVox. Please come to commonvox.org for the beta software, and for all information and support regarding the software!

*Free, and will always be free/libre open source software (FLOSS!).

**M4B = iTunes-compatible audiobook file. (M4B files essentially group together multiple "section" or "chapter" files of an audiobook into a single, larger file.)
Last edited by dvimont on March 1st, 2015, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ON THE NATURE OF THINGS is complete.:)
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Can't wait to try it on my mac!

This made me lol:
-- random browse feature, for those who are feeling lucky (or would like to get lucky)
Our new slogan: Get Lucky At LibriVox! (ok maybe not!)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
smike

Post by smike »

Wow! This is absolutely AMAZING! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I downloaded and installed it, and I can't thank you enough! I can't find words to express how awesome this is, and how grateful I am for this feature! I particularly like that it displays all the wonderful covers.

I love it, thank you! :9:
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

kayray wrote:Can't wait to try it on my mac!
Hey Kara,

I'm sorry that the Mac version is not yet ready, and at this point I can't say when it will be ready. It seems that crucial bits of the latest releases from Oracle (of Java) are not playing nicely with the latest releases of the Mac operating system (from Apple).

I see from the Java developers' problem-logging system that the Oracle folks have been aware of the problem since December, but there's no telling when a fix will come. There's another vendor that I'm working with who may provide a workaround, but otherwise, we have to wait for Oracle and Apple to work things out. :roll:

In the meantime, invite yourself over to a friend's house (one who has a Windows computer): you bring the beer, wine, ginger ale, whatever, and they supply the computer -- the bigger the screen, the better! :thumbs:

Dan
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

smike wrote:I particularly like that it displays all the wonderful covers.
Hi Claudia,

Yes!! In the early phases of developing "CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER", when the cover art started to dance across my screen, I realized that I had never had a proper appreciation for the wonderful cover art that has been produced to go with our collection of audiobooks!! In this application, the artwork truly is the star of the show (up to the moment when you click on the "play" button, of course, and start listening).

Thanks for the wonderful comments! :D

Dan
---
smike

Post by smike »

I have a question, Dan: if I bookmark the location from where I stopped listening, would this be gone once I've run ccleaner? And I never save any cookies, either.
Claudia

smike

Post by smike »

To answer my own question: the bookmark remains, which is great.

Dan, would you mind if I used the logo in a blogpost?
Claudia

dvimont

Post by dvimont »

smike wrote:Dan, would you mind if I used the logo in a blogpost?
Please, go right ahead! 8-)
---
smike

Post by smike »

Thank you. :) I linked the logos to the website, of course. :)
Claudia

dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Claudia,

Could you give the link to your blog?

Thanks!

Dan

==================
EDIT: Found your blog posting (thanks to Twitter): http://bel-goes-blog.blogspot.com/2015/02/listeners-attention-please.html

Thanks a bunch!!
Last edited by dvimont on February 20th, 2015, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
smike

Post by smike »

Do you have the commonvox twitter account? In that case you retweeted the link. :)
Claudia

dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Hi Claudia,

In your blog posting (linked above) you suggest that you don't have any media player software on your Windows computer with which to play M4B (audiobook) files.

If you're still looking for an M4B player, have you tried VLC Media Player?
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
While I can't endorse it from extended personal experiece, I have installed it, and it does work.

Also, one can apparently install iTunes and use it as a media player without giving a credit card number to Apple:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204034
However, if you simply choose to steer clear of large multinational corporations and their bloatware, I can empathize. (Sometimes such software can be a bear to UNinstall!!)

Regardless, it's great to hear you're enjoying LibriVox Explorer from CommonVox.org! :D

Dan
---
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

M4B's are fantastic on iThings and work on iTunes. And Some other players will work on computers if you call them m4a not m4b but that is a bit clunky I feel.
But if you have any iThings it is a great format to use.
Anne
smike

Post by smike »

Hi Dan, thank you for that! When I tried to open the M4B file, a box popped up telling me there was no known software to open the file on my PC. I didn't try to open it with VLC, because VLC is set as the standard to open audio and video files with. I'll try to right-click and choose 'open with VLC' and see if that works.

I's rather go without software than installing something horrid like itunes (I once had quicktime installed, and it was a pest). These programs probably work fine on a mac, but on a windows system, they're a failure. :)
Claudia

scout

Post by scout »

Content retracted.

Daniel
Last edited by scout on February 27th, 2015, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's
storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text.
— scout