[COMPLETE] Little Masterpieces of American Wit & Humor 1-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Gavenport wrote:
JoeS wrote:Hi Tricia,

I just uploaded the introduction. The duration is 2:07

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanwitandhumor1_00_masson_128kb.mp3

Now that the boring stuff is done (hopefully), on to the fun reading.
PL:OK :thumbs:
Excellent. Thanks!
Joe

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” - George R.R. Martin
Freya

Post by Freya »

I'd like to take a stab at #10 if I may?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Freya wrote:I'd like to take a stab at #10 if I may?
I'll sign you up.
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
readingword

Post by readingword »

Lynnet wrote:
readingword wrote:I'd like to claim section 30--The Owl Critic
I know I am jumping the gun a bit . . . but https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanwitandhumor1_30_masson_128kb.mp3
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
I like your enthusiasm, but, as you say, you are jumping the gun :shock:
A few things:
1. Before you record a section, we usually ask you to submit a one minute test, so that the admins can check your technical set-up. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=one+minute+test As you have already recorded this piece, you can use this as your test - just put a note in your post that you recorded a section for a project.

2. To make things official, you need to be entered in the catalog as a reader. I can do that for you but I need to know how you wish to appear. Most of us use our real names, but a pseudonym or forum name will work (it should be what you say "recording by...." and will make you searchable by friends and family).

3. You've obviously discovered how to find stuff to read... but the protocol is to stake a claim but not submit the file until it gets the OK. These sections are short - but just imagine if you read and edited a piece with a finished length of 30 minutes only to find someone else had done the same and submitted theirs moments before you. Frustrating, to say the least! Sometimes it may take a BC a few days to confirm a claim (some people have real lives outside of Librivox :shock: ) so it is OK to have a few claims active as long as you can fulfill the commitments within 2 months. It is easy to get carried away though (been there, done that :oops: )
Lynne
Edit: We also need to know the length of the file in mm:ss (e.g. 12:43)
Thanks for the reply Lynnet.
I recognize better now the importance of following protocol so that spats don't start up.
I have posted on the test thread and am waiting for feedback.
Also, as Gavenport recommended, I leveled the sound and tried to get rid of some of the pops and noises.
Regarding the catalog, I would like to be listed as "Stephen Wilson".
The length of the audio file is 04:30.

Thanks,
Stephen
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

readingword wrote:
Lynnet wrote:
readingword wrote:I'd like to claim section 30--The Owl Critic
I know I am jumping the gun a bit . . . but https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanwitandhumor1_30_masson_128kb.mp3
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
I like your enthusiasm, but, as you say, you are jumping the gun :shock:
A few things:
1. Before you record a section, we usually ask you to submit a one minute test, so that the admins can check your technical set-up. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=one+minute+test As you have already recorded this piece, you can use this as your test - just put a note in your post that you recorded a section for a project.

2. To make things official, you need to be entered in the catalog as a reader. I can do that for you but I need to know how you wish to appear. Most of us use our real names, but a pseudonym or forum name will work (it should be what you say "recording by...." and will make you searchable by friends and family).

3. You've obviously discovered how to find stuff to read... but the protocol is to stake a claim but not submit the file until it gets the OK. These sections are short - but just imagine if you read and edited a piece with a finished length of 30 minutes only to find someone else had done the same and submitted theirs moments before you. Frustrating, to say the least! Sometimes it may take a BC a few days to confirm a claim (some people have real lives outside of Librivox :shock: ) so it is OK to have a few claims active as long as you can fulfill the commitments within 2 months. It is easy to get carried away though (been there, done that :oops: )
Lynne
Edit: We also need to know the length of the file in mm:ss (e.g. 12:43)
Thanks for the reply Lynnet.
I recognize better now the importance of following protocol so that spats don't start up.
I have posted on the test thread and am waiting for feedback.
Also, as Gavenport recommended, I leveled the sound and tried to get rid of some of the pops and noises.
Regarding the catalog, I would like to be listed as "Stephen Wilson".
The length of the audio file is 04:30.

Thanks,
Stephen
Thank you. I have added you to the catalog - if you click on your name in the magic window it will take you to your own personal catalog page. It will show the status of all your claims.
If you follow any recommendations made it sounds like there are only fairly minor fixes needed to make this file meet standards.
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

Do I (as DPL) have to wait for a 'OK' in the test-file-thread of Stephen?

Otherwise I give you on section 30 a

PL:OK :clap:

And welcome on board, Stephen! :birthday: :mrgreen:
Gavenports Reader Page
Aktuelles Solo-Projekt: in Vorbereitung 'Die Ahnen - Aus einer kleinen Stadt'
DPL: -
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Gavenport wrote:Do I (as DPL) have to wait for a 'OK' in the test-file-thread of Stephen?

I'll PM Tricia as she is one of the admins that works on tests.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
readingword

Post by readingword »

Gavenport wrote:Do I (as DPL) have to wait for a 'OK' in the test-file-thread of Stephen?

Thanks Gavenport! :9:

And thanks for adding me to the catalog and contacting TriciaG, Lynnet!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

readingword wrote:

Thanks Gavenport! :9:

And thanks for adding me to the catalog and contacting TriciaG, Lynnet!
Stephen,
I see everything is great now and you are ready to take the librivox world by storm. Feel free to claim some more if these short pieces so you can practice the suggestions you were given!

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
carteki

Post by carteki »

can I do sections 22-26? is it possible to do them as one recording as they are so short.
Thanks
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

carteki wrote:can I do sections 22-26? is it possible to do them as one recording as they are so short.
Thanks
I can sign you up for those sections.
We do need them as separate sections, otherwise it will mess up the catalog numbering. There is nothing to stop you from recording them as one long recording, then chopping them up during editing. Just be sure you have the official disclaimer (intro and outro) as stated in the first post on each file.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Gavenport wrote:She asked for constructive criticism so there are more comments than needed for a standard PL and I'm not sure if the forum is the right place for this comments. I informed Tricia about this.
Standard PL-notes for section 58:

01:48

...who he had heard... - it's double read

04:24

Why, it never made no difference to him—he'd bet on anything—the dangdest feller.

'the dangdest feller' is missing

06:59

and it was his fault,

short breath into the microphone on the word 'his' – not annoying this much but only for being complete :-)

The other comments would belong to 'Word perfect'-PL and some 'technical irritations' which I sent/asked through PM.
This is now ready for spot-pl. I just did the standard ones, because I'm not quite sure how to fix the other things. Thank you, though, for being so detailed!
Adele

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Hi,

I'm not sure how to split up sections 39 and 40. 39 ends like this:
Ah, this is it; it is headed
And 40 starts like this:
"OUR SUMATRA CORRESPONDENCE

"This island is now the property of the Stamford family—having been won, it is said, in a raffle by Sir —— Stamford, during the stock-gambling mania of the South Sea scheme.

If I leave section 39 just how it says, it sounds like a typo. Should I just do that, though?

Thanks!
Adele

Post by Lynnet »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure how to split up sections 39 and 40. 39 ends like this:
Ah, this is it; it is headed
And 40 starts like this:
"OUR SUMATRA CORRESPONDENCE

"This island is now the property of the Stamford family—having been won, it is said, in a raffle by Sir —— Stamford, during the stock-gambling mania of the South Sea scheme.

If I leave section 39 just how it says, it sounds like a typo. Should I just do that, though?

Thanks!
We are not supposed to alter the text... but I agree, it would be better to end 39: "Ah, this is it" then leave the listener waiting with baited breath for section 40 "It is headed..."

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hear are corrected files for Sections 12 and 13

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanwitandhumor1_12_masson_128kb.mp3
4:54

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanwitandhumor1_13_masson_128kb.mp3
3:12

Section 12 is a new recording
Section 13 - clipped the small click - hardly noticeable to my ears . . . .

~ Larry