I need a Scot. Or a reasonable facsimile.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kristin

Post by kristin »

Obviously we need more Scots on here, because I need one too.

It's for a poem written in dialect (really heavy dialect) for my solo project. I'll PM it to whoever is interested in helping.

EDIT: Reading through it again, I find I could probably use a translation, as well. :roll:
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Worcesterhibby

Post by Worcesterhibby »

Hi I'm John, the guy that Chris has suggested helping out with all things Scottish. I would be delighted to help out where I can, although i warn you having never recorded anything before, I'm not sure how professional it will sound. I will have a good look at the dialogue you need recorded this weekend and try to get my head round how audacity works etc. I'll post on here if I have any questions/problems.

As far as Authenticity is concerned, I was born in Edinburgh which is about 30 - 40 miles from where John Muir lived and I have visited the area regularly. As you may know there is a Country Park named in his honour nearby which I have visited several times. My Mother and Father retired to a small village called East Linton which is a stones-throw from Dunbar, where Muir himself lived and when my Father passed away a couple of years ago we had a tree planted in rememberance as part of a scheme to protect an ancient woodland nearby. I'm sure Muir would have approved.

look forward to working with you.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Yeah John and welcome. Don't worry about sounding "professional" Very few here are actualy professionals. The main thing to worry about is sound levels ie good volume and low background noise.

I think you will be in very high demand :P

Looking forward to working with you. :D

Oh and feel free to send a test recording here and we can have a listen. This is definately NOT an audition but rather a sound check.

Esther :)

ps we can use this thread to hash out details.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Ponyfeathers

Post by Ponyfeathers »

Welcome, John! What a beautiful story about your father's remembrance. Thanks for helping out. I'm really looking forward to hearing your recordings. :D
I’ll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. -Issac Asimov
Worcesterhibby

Post by Worcesterhibby »

kristin wrote:Obviously we need more Scots on here, because I need one too.

It's for a poem written in dialect (really heavy dialect) for my solo project. I'll PM it to whoever is interested in helping.

EDIT: Reading through it again, I find I could probably use a translation, as well. :roll:
Hi Kristin,

I'm happy to take a look at your poem, some of the northern dialects can be tough to understand even for us Scots especially if they were written 100+ years ago. PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I have not heard from my Scotch reader and was hoping someone would step up and record for me. Its the ONLY bit left to do for Life in the Clearings.

Its chapter 12 - all the dialect needs recording. If one of you Brittish fellows (sorry ladies) could record this, it can be catalogued for March Madness.

Esther
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

Hey Starlite,

Oh yer story 'as touched me 'eart. -Ringo, Yellow Submarine

Fear not for as I told Cori in email, I'm on it.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ah ha! Cori wouldn't tell me who she got LOL. :lol:
Cori

Post by Cori »

Sheesh, SJ, you were all hidden under my hat, too!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
SmokestackJones

Cori wrote:Sheesh, SJ, you were all hidden under my hat, too!
Sorry, it's stuffy under there and I got asthma. :mrgreen:

-SJ
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh wow This is great stuff here. I can empathize with you. I actually tried to do the accent too. The editing a tough though. I am determined to get this done this week though!!!
SmokestackJones

Starlite wrote:Oh wow This is great stuff here. I can empathize with you. I actually tried to do the accent too. The editing a tough though. I am determined to get this done this week though!!!
Hey Starlite,

Yup, that accent's hard but it got easier as I went along.

Yeah, sorry about the raw file. I'm used to editing my own work, but I can't seem to get Cool Edit Pro 2 to obey me as well on my laptop. I persevere, though.

-SJ
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection