COMPLETE[SCIENCE]Elements of Mammalogy-Ruschenberger-alg1001

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

The Elements of Mammalogy by William Ruschenberger (1807 - 1895) .
The Elements of Mammalogy is one of seven in a Series of First Books of Natural History Prepared for the Use of Schools and Colleges. This succinct little textbook from 1845 presents an introduction to mammalogy. The information, albeit not current, is still interesting and of use as a general overview of mammal biology and classification. The author was a surgeon in the U.S. Navy and president of the Academy of Natural Sciences. (Summary by A. Gramour)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-elements-of-mammalogy-by-william-ruschenberger/
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/elementsofmammal00ruscrich
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please DO NOT READ the Questions, the Explanations of the Figures, or the Charts. It is not necessary to read the numbers he assigns each of the points in the lesson.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Lesson [number] of The Elements of Mammalology. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Elements of Mammalogy , by William Ruschenberger . [Lesson]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Lesson]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Elements of Mammalogy , by William Ruschenberger . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    elementsofmammalogy_##_ruschenberger_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. elementsofmammalogy_01_ruschenberger_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: William Ruschenberger
    Album: The Elements of Mammalogy

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg - alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This looks highly interesting! Could I have section 12, The Ruminants?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Very cool - great find! :clap:

Could I read lesson 3 about man please? I think this will be the only secton where I can avoid butchering too many latin terms...

Do you want the topiclist at the beginning of the chapter (between the "Lesson III" and "Bimana" in this case) read as well?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Ava,
Lesson 3 is yours. Yes, please read the topic list. As far as the Latin goes, butcher away. Pronunciation seems very variable to me.
This is the fourth of this set of seven text books to be recorded. I am hoping to eventually have them all in the catalog. Geology, Conchology, and Herpetology with Piscatology are left.
Thanks!
Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Lots of -ologies still left. Now I realize why the author's name seemed so familiar, but everytime I shied away from the Latin names. I know perfectly well how to pronounce them - in German, which is highly out of place in an English text. :roll:

Besides, I'm no genius when it comes to that language - when I read the title I thought: Wow, a whole book about breasts - and a serious one to boot! :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

icequeen wrote:This looks highly interesting! Could I have section 12, The Ruminants?

Pretty please? (Just imagine sad, puppy-dog eyes!)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Sure, Ann.
Thank you!
-Amy :D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Availle wrote:
Besides, I'm no genius when it comes to that language - when I read the title I thought: Wow, a whole book about breasts - and a serious one to boot! :lol:
I bet there is one out there! If it was an oldie, it could be pretty interesting. I will have to search the archive. :lol:
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

May I please start with section 1 and 2?

Laurence Trask
NateBrei

Post by NateBrei »

Hello! I've always enjoyed reading old texts like this to see the perspectives of the day and the way they used the language when discussing science-related topics. I look forward to the Geology Text!

For now though, may I have sections 6 and 7 please? Thanks for the consideration!

Nathan Breisath
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

laurencetrask wrote:May I please start with section 1 and 2?

Laurence Trask
Section 1 and 2 are yours.
Thank you, Laurence!
-Amy :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

NateBrei wrote:Hello! I've always enjoyed reading old texts like this to see the perspectives of the day and the way they used the language when discussing science-related topics. I look forward to the Geology Text!

For now though, may I have sections 6 and 7 please? Thanks for the consideration!

Nathan Breisath
Hi Nathan,
I do plan on launching the Geology text next so that is good. 6 and 7 are yours. Welcome to the project.
Thanks!
Amy :)
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

Could I take section 5, Insectivores?
Michelle
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Michele,
I was hoping you would contribute to this one too. I will sign you up for Section 5.
Thanks,
Amy
birdexcellently

Post by birdexcellently »

I'd like to read section 15, please! Should I skip the (See Page #) notes?