COMPLETE: Short Non-Fiction Vol. 36 - Jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 27th, 2014, 3:09 am

Hugh, Thanks for heroic amount of PLing all at once! :)

BellonaTimes
Posts: 3665
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Post by BellonaTimes » October 28th, 2014, 2:57 am

They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 28th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Hi BT, I must say, that Wireless Magazine is wildly fun to browse . . .

I've added a bit to your titles, so somebody looking for Anita Loos would find your recordings. Since she is not the author, a search wouldn't bring them up without some mention of her name. If you have any better wording you would like, let me know.

For Hugh's sake in proofing, I'll mention that the interview is on page 35 of Vol. 10, No. 2, the November 1922 issue.

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » October 28th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Hi BT,

PL is okay.

Sue, Thanks for the page number info. :)
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

david wales
Posts: 5770
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 5:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by david wales » October 31st, 2014, 1:53 pm

No Tax On Books, 1864, by United States Senator Charles Sumner


https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_notaxonbooks_sumner_dw_128kb.mp3

duration 8.03

david wales

https://archive.org/details/workscharlessum09sumngoog page 471
Peace, David

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 31st, 2014, 3:29 pm

david wales wrote:No Tax On Books, 1864, by United States Senator Charles Sumner


https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_notaxonbooks_sumner_dw_128kb.mp3

duration 8.03

david wales

https://archive.org/details/workscharlessum09sumngoog page 471
Hi David, Thanks for this informative read. :) 3% on the paper plus 5% on the book; it's a wonder they didn't tax the printing ink!

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » November 1st, 2014, 2:52 pm

david wales wrote:No Tax On Books, 1864, by United States Senator Charles Sumner


https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_notaxonbooks_sumner_dw_128kb.mp3

duration 8.03

david wales

https://archive.org/details/workscharlessum09sumngoog page 471
Hi David,

PL is okay. :thumbs:
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

Veggrower
Posts: 546
Joined: February 25th, 2010, 9:12 am
Location: Devon, England

Post by Veggrower » November 10th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Hi Sue & Hugh

May I submit this recording of an article entitled "On Gardening", by R.F. Murray, from The Gentleman's Magazine, Volume 265, July to December, 1888, with a length of 14:54:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_ongardening_murray_gb_128kb.mp3

Text source: https://archive.org/stream/gentlemansmagaz80unkngoog#page/n139/mode/2up

I'm pretty sure that the R.F. Murray who is credited with this article is Robert Fuller Murray, who was born in Massachusetts in 1863, moved with his father to Britain when he was six years old, and died in 1894 at the age of 30. He was apparently also known as The St. Andrew's Man, after the town and the university there which he attended. In the 1880s he was contributing pieces to various periodicals, but unfortunately I've been unable to definitely link him with this article, or with The Gentleman's Magazine. Robert Murray was mainly a poet, and two volumes of his poems were published, both of them in PG. The one entitled "Robert F. Murray: His Poems" has a long introduction concerning his life, written by his friend, Andrew Lang.

I introduced and ended the recording as written by Robert F. Murray, but if you think this should be changed to just R.F. Murray (in case I've got the wrong author :) ) I'll re-record those two bits and re-submit. Thanks,

Garth

HughGil
Posts: 1887
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Location: California

Post by HughGil » November 11th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Hi Garth,

PL is okay. :thumbs: Sue will be along shortly to check out the authors name for the catalogue.

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012

Veggrower
Posts: 546
Joined: February 25th, 2010, 9:12 am
Location: Devon, England

Post by Veggrower » November 12th, 2014, 6:31 am

OK - and thanks for the PL, Hugh.

Garth

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18508
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » November 14th, 2014, 8:07 am

Hi there... this is brandnew on gutenberg.org, and probably one of the few modern things we can read for Librivox.

It's called "Earthquakes" and is by the US Department of the Interior / The US Geological Survey from 1996.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47340

I'm not in the US, so I'm not sure if I am allowed to read this to begin with. Besides, I have already contributed to this collection :wink: so may somebody else have fun with it!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16876
Joined: November 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Post by knotyouraveragejo » November 16th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Here's one that might interest you, Ava. :wink:

Mathematics in Evolution
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Roger
Posts: 4060
Joined: December 1st, 2007, 6:59 pm
Location: U.S.

Post by Roger » November 27th, 2014, 11:56 am

"Practical Skunk Raising" by William Edwin Pratt. Certain to be a highly sought after piece.

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47460

Narration: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_practicalskunkraising_pratt_rm_128kb.mp3

Length: 21:32
File size: 20.68

Roger Melin
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » November 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Veggrower wrote:Hi Sue & Hugh

May I submit this recording of an article entitled "On Gardening", by R.F. Murray, from The Gentleman's Magazine, Volume 265, July to December, 1888, with a length of 14:54:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf036_ongardening_murray_gb_128kb.mp3

Text source: https://archive.org/stream/gentlemansmagaz80unkngoog#page/n139/mode/2up

I'm pretty sure that the R.F. Murray who is credited with this article is Robert Fuller Murray, who was born in Massachusetts in 1863, moved with his father to Britain when he was six years old, and died in 1894 at the age of 30. He was apparently also known as The St. Andrew's Man, after the town and the university there which he attended. In the 1880s he was contributing pieces to various periodicals, but unfortunately I've been unable to definitely link him with this article, or with The Gentleman's Magazine. Robert Murray was mainly a poet, and two volumes of his poems were published, both of them in PG. The one entitled "Robert F. Murray: His Poems" has a long introduction concerning his life, written by his friend, Andrew Lang.

I introduced and ended the recording as written by Robert F. Murray, but if you think this should be changed to just R.F. Murray (in case I've got the wrong author :) ) I'll re-record those two bits and re-submit. Thanks,

Garth
Hi Garth, Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry for my delay in responding . . . my e-mail hasn't been updating me on LibriVox and, instead of checking nonfiction in person, I've just been bemoaning how slow things are--talk about a ostrich in the sand mentality! : :oops: I'll check out this Robert Murray thing and post a bit later!

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4056
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » November 27th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Availle wrote:Hi there... this is brandnew on gutenberg.org, and probably one of the few modern things we can read for Librivox.

It's called "Earthquakes" and is by the US Department of the Interior / The US Geological Survey from 1996.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47340

I'm not in the US, so I'm not sure if I am allowed to read this to begin with. Besides, I have already contributed to this collection :wink: so may somebody else have fun with it!
Hi Availle, Thanks for the suggestion :) I'm sorry to be so slow in responding! As I told Garth, my e-mail wasn't showing any activity on this thread and I didn't have enough sense to check in person! :? You can certainly read more than one selection. I would think it would be ok to read "Earthquakes" even from a European base, but, in any case, I see Jo has given you another interesting possibility. Best wishes,

Post Reply