[COMPLETE] The Stone Axe of Burkamukk (Bruce) - avai

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you!

Would you like to read the other two parts of this story as well?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Animite

Post by Animite »

Thank you!

Would you like to read the other two parts of this story as well?

I think that is an excellent idea. I'd be more than happy to take that task onboard the ol' reading queue.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You are in! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Animite

Post by Animite »

Okay, I've made a few revisions as per the proof listener for this project. Here is the resubmitted file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/stoneaxeburkamukk_01_bruce_128kb.mp3

The run time for the file is still 26:25.

On to the next one. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great, thank you!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

The resubmitted file is fine :D
Now I need to know what I should do next. Does the BC replace the one in the MW with the new one? If so will the BC mark it as PL OK or do I do that?
I am still a newbie and learning the ropes, but I really like this.
Max
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The file - as long as it is named exactly as the old one - will be replaced automatically on the server, so the link in the MW will remain correct. To make sure about that, you should always spot-PL using the link in the Magic Window.

You - as the DPL - will have to login to the MW and set the PL status to "PL OK". Just double-click on the corresponding field and you'll get a dropdown.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

I did try the one in the MW first, but it was the first recording. I think this happened because the reader changed the name of the file name to include the underscore that Ava mentioned was needed and I passed that message on to Animite.
I will keep checking the MW and mark as PL Ok when the 'fix is in' so to speak.
Max
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I didn't even notice the missing underscore in the MW...

Filename corrected (you can also make tiny changes like this yourself, no problem with this BC :wink:)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

Thanks Ava, I'm learning a little more each thing I do here. I'm thinking you meant I could have fixed the file name in the same window I go to to add notes or mark PL Ok, correct? But you did notice the missing underscore and told me in a PM. I just didn't know how to do it myself then.
I am enjoying this and if anyone is ever looking for a 'word perfect' prooflistener, I would like to volunteer.
Another question... I have noticed a couple times that a phrase is repeated in a book I'm listening to. Once books are released for public use, do you still want to know about errors like that?
Again, thanks for all your help and patience :)
Max
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You can make those little changes in the Magic Window yourself - provided, the filename is correct in the uploader, like it was here for the second submission. If not, I need to correct the file in the back where you have no access, and in such a case I (should... :oops: ) correct the link in the MW as well.

If you find repeats or other errors in completed projects, please feel free to post over in the "Error" forum. Like for normal PL, we will need the project name (preferrably with a link to the catalog page), the number of the file and when exactly which error occurs. It depends on the error whether it is fixable of course, we don't usually bother with pronunciation or small deviations from the text, or noiseclean old files. Repeated parts or long omitted passages we do try to correct.

As for word-perfect PLing, it's comparatively rare in these parts. Dramatic Readings and Dramas are often kinda word-perfect, but that's mainly to make sure that no parts are missing. I am planning for my next solo something I will probably have PLed word-perfect, but math and science is not everybody's cup of tea :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

Wow, Ava, Your answers are so fast that I wonder if you ever sleep :lol: As to the math and science...I proofread physiology textbooks for a family member when I was a teenager (he couldn't spell and this was in the 1960's), so I don't think the math and science will be a problem. When you are ready I will take a look at the text of the book to make sure I feel competent before signing on, but I don't foresee any problem. Anything I can do to be useful here makes me happy. Still gathering courage to become a reader.
Max
Animite

Post by Animite »

Here is the rest of the story of Burkamukk's marvelous axe.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/stoneaxeburkamukk_02_bruce_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/stoneaxeburkamukk_03_bruce_128kb.mp3

Section 2 clocks in at 21:04. Section 3 is 22:44 in length.

So, for all three sections, I used the text version of this book, which is downloadable from Archive.org. In these last two sections, I noticed there are a few places where the grammar of the text sounds a little off what it should be. If you are using the online text and the reading matches what I recorded, then I suppose it's just odd grammar that appears every so often in literature. If not, then let me know and I will fix it.
Still gathering courage to become a reader.
Everyone's first recording experience can be a little harrowing. I remember that when I did my first recording, I thought my heart would burst out of my chest for fear of making a mistake. But as you practice the routine of what goes into a recording, most of those jitters diminish over time. So long as your passion burns bright for the printed word, it is enough to carry you through. (I hope that didn't sound too terribly cliche. :hmm: )

And who knows? You may even find that you can't stop at one or two recordings. Sometimes you may look back and wonder, "Have I done that many already?" I am certainly guilty on that count.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for your sections - off to a great start! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

Chapters 2 and 3 proof listened. Changed to PL OK.
Thanks for the encouragement about becoming a reader, I'm still working on that, but no doubt I will try it eventually. Probably during our LONG winter nights.
Max :)