[COMPLETE] Celebrated Travels and Travellers, vol 3 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kajo

Post by kajo »

Celebrated Travels and Travellers, vol 3 - "The Great Explorers and Travellers of the 19th Century" by Jules Verne (1828 - 1905). Translated by N. D'Anvers (1844 - 1933)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/celebrated-travels-and-travellers-vol-3-by-jules-verne/

Volume one
Volume two

This volume, entitled "The Great Explorers and Travellers of the 19th Century", forms the third of three volumes under the general title of "Celebrated travels and travellers".
Volume three comprehends:
"The Dawn of a Century of Discovery (part I, chap. I), "The Exploration and Colonization of Africa" (part I, chap. II), "The Oriental Scientific Movement and American Discoveries" (part I, chap. III), "Voyages Round the World, and Polar Expeditions" (part II, chap. I), "French Circumnavigators" (part II, chap. II), "Polar Expeditions" (part II, chap. III, part I) and "The North Pole" (part II, chap. III, part II) (ToC)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26658 Please use the links to the prepared text in the MW! (It contains all the necessary text for the section + intro and end of recording phrase.)
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro) (The respective intro for the section is part of the linked file given in the MW.)
      • "Section [number] of Celebrated Travels and Travellers, volume 3. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Celebrated Travels and Travellers, volume 3. The Great Explorers and Travellers of the 19th Century, by Jules Verne. [section title]"

END of recording (The respective end of recording text for the section is part of the linked file given in the MW.)
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [section number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Celebrated Travels and Travellers, volume 3. The Great Explorers and Travellers of the 19th Century, by Jules Verne. Translated by N. D'Anvers"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      celebratedtravels3_##_verne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. celebratedtravels3_01_verne_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (Not required for this project)
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Jules Verne
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Celebrated travels and travellers, vol 3

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by kajo on October 31st, 2014, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(D)PLer with all my heart: It is a PLeasure for me to listen to the spOKen words of LV readers (in dutch, english, german and latin).
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi there! <waves> :)

<bookmarks the thread>
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
kajo

Post by kajo »

:D Hi there, too. :clap:
(D)PLer with all my heart: It is a PLeasure for me to listen to the spOKen words of LV readers (in dutch, english, german and latin).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, why not? ;) MW is set up.

I added the _128kb to the file names. I'm not sure how this project is set up, but you might want to edit the intros/outros a bit to make them more clear to the listener.

And whatever you put in the section titles in the MW will be what goes in the ID tags, so ID tags aren't required by the readers. :)

Piotrek, are you DPL'ing, or were you just subscribing to the thread?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kajo

Post by kajo »

:D Thank you very much Tricia for MCing volume three also. Great! :clap: Thanks for the MW and the correction of the file name pattern.
I used a mobile device to post the new project and got totally lost. :? :lol:

The MW is filled up. We're up and running.
A DPL would be great. Thanks for adding the ~, Tricia! :)

Many thanks and greetings
Kajo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, I've been looking forward to this! :thumbs:

I'll try to restrain myself and only read two chapters. Which make up sections 17 - 24, if you please, please? :oops:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Ava, great that you want to continue with the voyages. :clap: Thanks. Sections 17 - 24 are all yours. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm glad you'll have me :wink:

I've quickly glanced at the text. There is a short introductory table of contents at the beginning of every chapter, but you have left it out in the google docs for chapter 3/section 17. Was that on purpose or an oversight?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
kajo

Post by kajo »

I'm very glad, too. :thumbs: Oops, that's not quite right, nor wrong :mrgreen: . My text division was faulty, so it was not copied into the resulting file. It's fixed now. Thanks for finding and pointing out. :clap:
(I missed these smileys so much.)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

TriciaG wrote:Piotrek, are you DPL'ing, or were you just subscribing to the thread?
I won't be PLing this time, so please don't put me in the MW.

I'd like to claim section 36-42, please.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
kajo

Post by kajo »

:D Thank you very much, Piotr. Great to have you on board again. :clap: The sections are all yours.

36% of the all the sections are already assigned. That's a great start. :thumbs: :9:
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Hello,

If it's still open and everyone agrees I'd like to DPL.

Thanks,

Denise
Denise
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have a winner!

You're in as DPL, Denise. :)

Moving this to Readers Wanted...
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Denise, great to have you on board as DPL! :D
Whoosh... Thanks for the lift Tricia! :D
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Thanks both of you! :)
Ready to do my part of the project, sounds real fun! :thumbs:
Denise