(Complete) [DRAM.READ] Wives and Daughters, E Gaskell - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Libby! Lady Harriet is all PL OK! :thumbs: Although your voice credit still surprises me every time I hear it! :lol:
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Elizabby wrote:Thanks Libby! Lady Harriet is all PL OK! :thumbs: Although your voice credit still surprises me every time I hear it! :lol:
It surprises me too!
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Here is the narration for chapter 1! Do you want the time with each recording?

Time: 16:39

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_01_narrator.mp3
~Tiffany
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks! Definitely yes please, the times are useful for me to plan my PLing as I often have time to do small parts but have to plan around longer sections.

PL notes for Ch 1:

@00:10 there is long gap of more than 2 seconds in the middle of the disclaimer, right before "For more information..."
@02:03 there is another similar gap. It is better for the listeners and editors if the gaps are not too large between sentences. About 1 to 1.5 seconds is plenty. Leaving 3-4 seconds for the insertion of other lines makes a clear difference between the end of a sentence and gaps for lines.
@03:47 "where lived my Lord and Lady Cumnor" sounds very different from the rest - more muffled? This line was obviously recorded separately but it might be better to try to reproduce the original recording circumstances.
@05:38 the French "sansculottes" should be "SAN-kew-LOTS" (or look it up on howjsay.com to hear it spoken). It is a term for French Revolutionaries (it means "without fashionable breeches" and is a class comment by the upper classes on the lower classes, so very applicable here!)
@07:42 no "a" before the French expression "de rigeur"
@09:11 "bowled along the smooth tree-shaded road, and deposited its covey of smartly-dressed ladies" (a covey is a group of birds, nothing to do with transport)

Also, can I ask what noise cleaning settings you are using? There seems to be an odd hum underlying your lines which is NOT there in the silences, and I wonder if this might be a noise cleaning artefact from too much noise removal? Did you save the unprocessed file?

Sorry to be so picky, but I figure if we can get the first chapter really right, then the rest can all just be done the same! :thumbs:
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I will try to get the edits done next week. I can't remember what my noise cleaning is set to, but I will do less when I re-upload. I did keep the original file in case of edits and I will try to get the parts I need to edit in sounding better. And I will be careful about shorter silences between paragraghs and sentances in future. I think that covers everything!

No worries about being picky, I knew when I volenteered to narrate it would have to be more particular than just a normal recording of a book :D
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I hope it sounds better, I can never get my recordings to sound the same twice, :roll: but I have edited and will try to upload tomorrow!
~Tiffany
SudeshnaDash

Post by SudeshnaDash »

Hi, may i please read 14 - Mrs. Goodenough? I'm also a bit confused on how I make out which are her lines since the version I downloaded from Gutenberg does not seem to delineate who is who like in some of the Google Docs I see. Please advise. Thank you.
- Sudeshna
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SudeshnaDash wrote:Hi, may i please read 14 - Mrs. Goodenough? I'm also a bit confused on how I make out which are her lines since the version I downloaded from Gutenberg does not seem to delineate who is who like in some of the Google Docs I see. Please advise. Thank you.
You are welcome to take Mrs Goodenough - welcome to the project!

In the MW, scroll down to your part. You can see that Mrs G appears in chapters 3, 4, 26, 31, 38, 40, 46, 47, 58, 59. So now you keep scrolling down inside the MW until you get to the link for "Text Link for Chapter 3" which is in purple. Click on that, and it will take you to the colour-coded script - Mrs G is light purple highlighter, as shown at the top.

Say "Mrs Goodenough, read by yourname" at the start of the first file (you don't need any LV disclaimer or outro, as the narrator will do all that.) Just read your lines with nice gaps of at least 3 seconds between lines. The editors can always remove space, it is much harder to add it.

You only have one line in Chapter 3, so that's it! (Please make sure each chapter is in a separate file.) If you look at a chapter like 26, you'll see you have a lot more to say!

Just post back here if you have any questions!
PeregrinTook

Post by PeregrinTook »

May I read the part of Dick Hayward?
Ryan Cooley (PeregrinTook)

"Great! So…where are we going?"
SudeshnaDash

Post by SudeshnaDash »

Hi,

I'm done with the first chapter of being Mrs. Goodenough. Here is the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_03_mrsgoodenough.mp3

Duration: 00:17

I'm excited and nervous to know if it is ok.

Sudeshna

Elizabby wrote:
SudeshnaDash wrote:Hi, may i please read 14 - Mrs. Goodenough? I'm also a bit confused on how I make out which are her lines since the version I downloaded from Gutenberg does not seem to delineate who is who like in some of the Google Docs I see. Please advise. Thank you.
You are welcome to take Mrs Goodenough - welcome to the project!

In the MW, scroll down to your part. You can see that Mrs G appears in chapters 3, 4, 26, 31, 38, 40, 46, 47, 58, 59. So now you keep scrolling down inside the MW until you get to the link for "Text Link for Chapter 3" which is in purple. Click on that, and it will take you to the colour-coded script - Mrs G is light purple highlighter, as shown at the top.

Say "Mrs Goodenough, read by yourname" at the start of the first file (you don't need any LV disclaimer or outro, as the narrator will do all that.) Just read your lines with nice gaps of at least 3 seconds between lines. The editors can always remove space, it is much harder to add it.

You only have one line in Chapter 3, so that's it! (Please make sure each chapter is in a separate file.) If you look at a chapter like 26, you'll see you have a lot more to say!

Just post back here if you have any questions!
- Sudeshna
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

And here is chapter 01, narration fixed!

Time: 16:37

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_01_narrator.mp3
~Tiffany
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

PeregrinTook wrote:May I read the part of Dick Hayward?
Great! You got it!

Please note that Dick Hayward appears only in Chapter 53 and is different from "Dick the stableman" who appears in Chapter 2. (You can easily claim other parts, as long as they don't appear in Chapter 53.)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SudeshnaDash wrote:Hi,

I'm done with the first chapter of being Mrs. Goodenough. Here is the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_03_mrsgoodenough.mp3

Duration: 00:17

I'm excited and nervous to know if it is ok.

Sudeshna
Lovely reading! The voice credit is exactly right (you only need to do this once) and the words are all correct. There is only one thing - it sounds like there's a brush against the microphone or something at the word "things". It might be a breath "pop" if you record with the mic close to your mouth.

Also, do you know how to check the volume of your recording? I can check it for you later (I'm just quickly dropping in right now) but I think this might be a little loud. We aim for 89dB, and I think this might have a little bit of clipping in it, which is distortion that occurs when there is too much amplification. If you are in Audacity, have a look at the "Amplifier" in which the positive numbers make the recording louder and the negative numbers make it softer. (It is tricky on such a short recording - it might be easier with a longer bit of text. You can maybe use the next chapter of Mrs Goodenough to experiment and then once you have the settings, come back to this one?)

There is also a "Checker" program here at LV, but I'm not sure offhand where it is. Somewhere in the LV wiki or introductory posts, I think. I'll find it later and link it for you.

Sorry - long weekend here! I'll be back!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Chapter 1 Narration, there is just one sentence which is still not right:

@09:11 "bowled along the smooth tree-shaded road, and deposited its covey of smartly-dressed ladies"
(a covey is a group of birds, nothing to do with transport. Pronounced "KU-vee", stress on the first syllable.)

I think I was wrong about the noise removal issue - the rustling noise underlying your words is much louder now with less noise cleaning, so it might be a real sound. Sorry, my fault, but maybe either go back to your earlier settings or do two layers of noise cleaning (getting a fresh sound sample in between - this gives a smoother result that just one stronger clean, usually.)

I think we are nearly there! :thumbs:
SylviaJM

Post by SylviaJM »

I'd like to read the part of Mrs. Dawes. I'm still waiting for my 1 minute test to be ok'd and to do any needed adjustments, before I start recording any readings. Just wanted to get my name in as interested in reading the part. :D