Need Uploader help? (was: Report Uploader Errors)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Great!

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
fshort

Post by fshort »

Good morning to you!

I have been unable to use the uploader for the last 12 hours.
I cannot get to the uploader using the general user name and password nor my personal username and password. I have tried from Safari, Yahoo and Firefox. I have a Macbook Pro. I can get to the forum. I have used Log Out a couple of times as you suggested to another user.
(I have a new computer but the transition has been easy because I had back up on a hard drive.)

I hesitate to get a new password. I've had the same one for years. Also I can get onto the forum; I'd hate to goof up that
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Which 'personal name and password' are you using, Florence? If you are using your forum name and password, this will not work on the uploader. You need to use either your Workflow password (the one you use to get into the MW) or the generic uploader user name and password:

All passwords are case sensitive.

Ruth
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

:help:
Platform/Operating System: Linux/Mint
Program used to record the audio: Audacity
Connection type/upload speed if available: wifi
Browser/version: Firefox 32
Number of files in upload: 2
File size of files with errors 14.83 and 13.18 MB
Error message: Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

Both files got this message when uploaded together or separately.

Thank you!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

karlkuzmich wrote: Platform/Operating System: Linux/Mint
Program used to record the audio: Audacity
Connection type/upload speed if available: wifi
Browser/version: Firefox 32
Number of files in upload: 2
File size of files with errors 14.83 and 13.18 MB
Error message: Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
What were the file names, and which folder did you select? I'll have a look to see if they made it in after all. Sometimes they do.
Laurie Anne
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

That error message is usually due to not being logged in. (Even if you think you are, sometimes you can get logged out without realizing.)
Here's a suggestion from the FAQ:
Q. After Uploading a file I am getting one of the following messages:
SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character (Firefox)
SyntaxError: Unexpected token (Chrome)

A.
Refresh the uploader page to make absolutely sure that you are logged in, and upload again. This error seems to occur when you have become logged out unbeknown to you, perhaps a program updating in the background might be the cause.
It can also be caused by unexpected characters in the ID3 tags. Remove all tags and upload, if the refreshing doesn't work. Tags can always be fixed after.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have not been able to get files to upload since last evening. Actually, it doesn't even let me get to the uploader at all - asks for ID and password (which it has not asked for in many months) and then fails. I can't get to MW workflow either - that also fails. Worked fine Saturday night. Have tried on two different computers.

No problem with regular forum.

Anyone else having problem with this?

Thanks, Todd
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am having no difficulties, and nothing has changed at LV, as far as I am aware. I'd certainly try deleting all your LibriVox cookies, then restarting your browser. Which browser are you using, by the way?

Ruth
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Tried Firefox and Internet Explorer both, on two machines. Not home now to test again until evening.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And uploader still does not work at home. I can post in the forum, I can get to MW stuff to post claims, but I can not upload the sections I have ready to go!

EDIT: So in frustration I decided to try with the old uploader password and I got taken to a page that said the old uploader was not in service and had a link to the new uploader - and that link took me direct to the new uploader and it actually worked for me!

Grumbling and confused, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

My access problems have not been cured. Although I seem to have a workaround for uploading sections (see above), I can not get into the Project Screen to start preparing for cataloging "Romance of a Mummy". I get a message that I "don't have permission for this area". Which I did have a week ago when I made all the dramatic work cast lists using project screen data from lottsa projects.

Help!

Thanks, Todd

(Posted this here even though it is not strictly an uploder problem in case the history of problems is helpful in solving this.)
EmilyBarton

Post by EmilyBarton »

I'm working on uploading my 1 minute test. After my my first test, one of the comments that I received was that it should be an .mp3 not a .wav
I had a lot of trouble uploading my first test, and the main problem was that whenever I hit upload, it told my that the file type wasn't allowed. I tried making it a .mp3 (it was originally in an .aud) but .wav was the only one that would work. So I rerecording my test (there were some other things I needed to change as well), and I'm still facing the same problem, what am I doing wrong?. I'm using Google chrome on a mac if that helps any.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Are you putting in any metadata? Try exporting as MP3, but without putting in any metadata.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

And, have you downloaded LAME separately? Audacity won't make MP3s without that, and I don't think it comes as standard with the Audacity download itself. It's labelled optional here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac but it really is essential. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah, yes - Cori, I think you have it.

You cannot rename the file from .au to .mp3, but have to export it as mp3. And that requires the LAME encoder. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine