About Wikipedia & LibriVox links

Non-reading activities need your help too!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

we had some problems with wikipedia: as part of the LV cataloging process we were adding links from appropriate wikipedia pages to the LV recording. the links were fine; but having a systematic process to add the links was in violation of wikipedia's neutrality & point-of-view policies: a fundamental principle of wikipedia is that no one from a particular site/organization should post links/or write about that organization site etc. this takes precedence over other policies such as: "articles about a book ... should link to the book."

The proper wikipedia procedure if you are affiliated with say, LibriVox, is to post LV links to the Talk/discuss section of an article, and let other editors make the changes if they see fit. We can add this to our catalog procedure if we wish...let's let everyone cool down first though.

If you are making links to LV recordings from wikipedia, there are a few things to remember:
*wikipedia is careful not to become a "link farm"; they want only appropriate links on appropriate pages; they DON'T want articles to become long lists of links.
*a link from the book/poem wikipedia article to the LV recording is good
*a link from the author page to the LV recording is NOT good
*a link from a page about, say, a collection of poems to ONE poem at LV is NOT good
*if the article about the book/poem does not exist - write it! explain who the author is, why the author/poem/book is important, what others have said about it. try to use a format from similar articles
*avoid adding just links; better to add some content as well
*DEFINITELY avoid adding many links from many different pages, all to one site, all at once - this sets off linkspam radar
*If you notice LV links getting removed, please PM me and I'll see what I can do
*definitely DO NOT revert the deletions ... that is not viewed well in wikipedia land. not at all.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

All very understandable and respectable. In retrospect should have asked experienced wikipedians first perhaps.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Check out this thread.
Nathaniel wrote:Hello. So, I basically found this place from Wikipedia, but it really was a godsend. Essentially, I needed to clean my dorm room (this place is messy! Still is, sadly), but I also needed to do my homework (read Frankenstein), and so when I clicked the link off Wikipedia, this place was exactly what I needed. I had even thought at one point that a place like this would be useful, so I'm glad I found it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out some narration in the future, but I wanted to mention how much I appreciate that this place exists.
Cool. :)
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

I've been here for less than a day and I'm already being quoted in entirely separate threads? Wow, I think I like this place!
I like books.
JennyLee639

Post by JennyLee639 »

Hi!

Anything new in regards to adding links to Wikipedia?

I am not (yet!) a participating member of LibriVox, so I feel free to add links to recorded books to Wikipedia articles. I will create articles when I feel qualified to do so. I wish I had been able to see links to Audio versions of books/stories I viewed on Wikipedia. I cannot go to sleep without listening to something and I may never watch TV again after listening to TV for so loooong!

I found my way here (Internet Archive) entirely round-a-bout. [adding an external editor to Wikipedia!] otherwise I wouldn't have known so many audio recordings were available free of charge [I can't afford the $20+ I see at Amazon, eBay, where ever]

I don't want to waste my time or get in a snit with anyone at Wikipedia.

Thanks for any thoughts, I will keep in mind what was already posted.

Jen :help:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, feel free to add the links to Wikipedia! I think following Hugh's guidelines in his post of Mar 17, 2006 is best.

If you need help with which page to link to (example: a search result for a particular author, to add the link to the author's Wikipedia page), post the question/request, and I'm sure someone will be along to help you with it. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lezer

Post by lezer »

JennyLee639 wrote:Hi!

Anything new in regards to adding links to Wikipedia?

I am not (yet!) a participating member of LibriVox, so I feel free to add links to recorded books to Wikipedia articles. I will create articles when I feel qualified to do so. I wish I had been able to see links to Audio versions of books/stories I viewed on Wikipedia. I cannot go to sleep without listening to something and I may never watch TV again after listening to TV for so loooong!

I found my way here (Internet Archive) entirely round-a-bout. [adding an external editor to Wikipedia!] otherwise I wouldn't have known so many audio recordings were available free of charge [I can't afford the $20+ I see at Amazon, eBay, where ever]

I don't want to waste my time or get in a snit with anyone at Wikipedia.

Thanks for any thoughts, I will keep in mind what was already posted.

Jen :help:
I'm all for it - would be great if you could work on adding more links, Jen - and perhaps reach even more listeners who haven't heard of us before.
Anna
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Does LibriVox have a list available of everything offered sorted by author, and then by title? I would like to begin putting links in wikipedia for everything in our catalog.
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Not an answer to your question - but would you check this out ? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1736
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

annise wrote:Not an answer to your question - but would you check this out ? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1736
Good link. I have read these threads and hope I do not create any problems by my activities.
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

I am starting a project to add links in Wikipedia for every LibriVox offering.

So far I have added links for Tarzan of the Apes and The Return of Tarzan.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Merged new posts into the existing Wikipedia thread to tidy up a bit.

David O
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Wikipedia URL for Trazan of the Apes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_of_the_Apes

Wikipedia URL for The Return of Tarzan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_Tarzan
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

I have added to Wikipedia the following:

The Beasts of Tarzan @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beasts_of_Tarzan
Jungle Tales of Tarzan @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Tales_of_Tarzan
The People that Time Forgot @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_That_Time_Forgot_(novel)

The LibriVox link on the Wikipedia page for The Land that Time Forgot is in a different format and I cannot change it. All Wikipedia has is "{{Reflist}}" whatever this means.

I modified the link on the Wikipedia page for The Gods of Mars

I did not find a Wikipedia page for The Lost Continent (Beyond Thirty)

Before I do more I need to know more about this "reflist," and LibriVoxers better than I need to pic a format for our Wikipedia links please. :mrgreen:
The one I have been using is "text name [linked to librivox] at LibriVox [linked to wikipedia] (audiobook)"
Cori

Post by Cori »

You could use this format: *{{librivox|The Beasts of Tarzan}}

The nice thing about that is that it comes ready formatted as per Wikipedia standards, so it's much less likely to get flagged or deleted internally. Also, it links to the search rather than a specific version, which makes it fairer to readers and listeners when there is more than one version available.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!