What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

Cori wrote:My first name is Cori. :mrgreen:

But there is a little twist, I suppose. Since Cori was a name I started using when I joined the net. And in the end it took over from my birth name offline too. Funny how these things go.
So your first name came from your online name? Or am I stupid? :D
Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life
Cori

Post by Cori »

Not stupid at all, that's exactly right! My old first name is now my middle name.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

You mean you legally changed your name by adding a new one at the beginning? In most countries doing this is way more difficult than in English-speaking countries, where it is apparently rather easy from what i've read. I, too, was like "what?" when I read your post, Cori. :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It's remarkably easy (too easy) in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

Having said that, even just using my middle name instead of my first given name (which I have done since birth) has always caused confusion with official bodies. I have two identities, one that is 'me' and one that is used by 'the authorities' :lol:. On the phone, they may say in a friendly (I'd say rather impertinent) way, "Shall I call you [my first name]?". My answer is generally "Well you can, but nobody else on the planet does." They usually call me Mrs. Golding after that ;).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

In Poland you have to have a very good reason and be able to demonstrate it in order to change your name.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
david wales

Post by david wales »

Most of my bloodline is Welsh, my father 100% (as far as I know - may be an English mailman in there somewhere), my mother I think 50% (definite English something or other there). Hence wales, no capital, easier to type.

I've always liked the name david and had I had a son would have wanted to name him that (david is a Welsh name , too). Hence david (though morgan was a close second).

When I became a little bit interested in family history, I asked my mother to find out what she could about my deceased father's heritage. She called me somewhat later and hesitantly, not knowing how I would react, informed me that my father's grandmother had refused to marry his grandfather, though they lived together for decades, in that North Carolina enclave of Welsh immigrants. When I stopped laughing, I remarked, "Well, at least someone in the family had some imagination!" My mother was not best pleased.

Are not families interesting -- and sometimes hilarious. :lol:

In America, it's remarkable easy to change one's name; you just start using whatever you want. Probably a consequence of our frontier history and especially in the West where I live (California) one is simply accepted for what one wants to present. Most handy. You just have to make sure the Internal Revenue Service (our federal tax johnnies) knows who you are.
Peace, David
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

Cori wrote:Not stupid at all, that's exactly right! My old first name is now my middle name.
That's funny ;-) I never heard that before :D :D
Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello. May I join in ?

I chose “dumbo” in my hang gliding days,
as I’m not very tall and have always had a small weight problem.
The flying elephant seemed appropriate.

Lower case as easier to type.

-----------------

As to changing the name you are born with, here in France the authorities are quite strict about it
and you have to have a very good reason for doing so.

@+
Philippe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life (Confucius)
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

Mine came from my son. He is when he wants to be. :D
Ken
JP4KJV

Post by JP4KJV »

My initials are JP and I am 4 (for) the KJV (King James Bible)! :)
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

JP4KJV wrote:My initials are JP and I am 4 (for) the KJV (King James Bible)! :)
Love it! :D
haimerej

Post by haimerej »

mine is just my first name backwards.
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now - Buckaroo Banzai
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

haimerej wrote:mine is just my first name backwards.
Ha! I hadn't noticed! That's cool!!
Tauriel

Post by Tauriel »

mine is just my first name backwards.
I didn't notice, either! I was thinking, so…this person like hammers, maybe? And then maybe their initials are EJ? But that sure is an odd way to spell hammer… :wink:
~Vanessa Cooley (Tauriel)
_________
"She walks in starlight in another world..."
~Kili, The Desolation of Smaug
heeheekitty

Post by heeheekitty »

Hi, I just joined and have a lot of fun going through all the forum posts :)

Here's my story:
I have always loved cats very much. I grew up with a grumpy black cat called Minchen (if any germans read this, she was named after Majestix's nickname for Gutemine in the Asterix comics...I have no idea how the characters are called in english...)
and i had my own little set of children's cutlery with a smiling cat on it, and I used to refer to it as "minchen haha" at almost every meal.

add a few years of growing up (well sorta...), and some anglophilia, and "minchen haha" became a less specific "heeheekitty".
Tina