[COMPLETE] "The Worshipper of the Image" Le Galliene-annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Anne and Lucretia,

Thank you so much for fixing the volume problem and proofing my first section. I am using Audacity and I attempted to reduce the volume, however, it seems I blundered it.
I am compiling and editing Section II today. I hope the wave is more consistent and the volume correct. I know where I made the blunders the first time and hope I have remedied them correctly.
Quick question: :help: Do I need to put the full Librivox disclaimer at the beginning of Section II and III? I spoke with Bob Gonzalez, he said since each section is a separate file, they may need to have the full disclaimer. Bob suggested that I check with you. I have recorded the openings with the full disclaimer and the abbreviated disclaimer. I will save both files and post the one that you suggest for PL.
Again, you both have been more than patient with me and I very much appreciate your help. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Holly
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

I did not say it needs the full disclaimer, only that it definitely needs a disclaimer. I believe the abbreviated disclaimer is all right to use, isn't it, Anne? That shorter disclaimer should be in the first post.

Bob
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes every file has to have a disclaimer. The short one is fine - it's really worth reading the first post :D . It's not perfect but instructions seldom are.

Anne
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Thanks to you all. I have read and re-read the informational post. :oops: Okay, I admit I'm a quite dyslexic, but with your help and advice, I'll get it right. The short disclaimer is what Sections II and III will have.
I apologize Bob, sometimes I hate corresponding via email. I promise I'll do my best to get it right.
Thanks,
Holly
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hello Anne and Lucretia,

I have completed Section II, Chapters 8-13 and uploaded them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worshipperimage_02_legallienne_128kb.mp3

In addition, I have attempted to edit these files at the correct decibel level of .89. I have searched for a simple tool on Audacity to measure the recording's decibels, but have as yet been unable to find a simple graph to show me the levels. :hmm:
If this recording needs amplification either negative or positive, please let me know and I will remedy it ASAP.
Also, if there is a simple dB graph, please enlighten me. I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for your patience and I look forward to your feedback.

Regards,

Holly
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

HollyMcGuire wrote:Hello Anne and Lucretia,
I have completed Section II, Chapters 8-13 and uploaded them.
In addition, I have attempted to edit these files at the correct decibel level of .89. I have searched for a simple tool on Audacity to measure the recording's decibels, but have as yet been unable to find a simple graph to show me the levels. :hmm:
If this recording needs amplification either negative or positive, please let me know and I will remedy it ASAP.
Also, if there is a simple dB graph, please enlighten me. I would be most appreciative.
Thank you for your patience and I look forward to your feedback.
Regards,
Holly
Thanks, Holly! We have a few things to fix--a couple of places near the end where your voice seems to have been cut out or maybe overwritten with some silence--?

Section 02:
--At ~43:43 the portion in red is omitted from the recording: "As terrible was the look of torture that came over his face, one night near the end, when Wonder in a sudden nightmare of delirium had seized his hand and cried:--"
--At ~44:18 the portion in red is omitted from the recording: "..."so she never heard this, and it was no mere cowardly consolation for Antony to think afterwards that no one but he and his little child had known of that fatal afternoon in the wood."
--And then we still have a problem with the volume. This track comes in at 97.4 dB, so we need to reduce the volume by -9.0.

To make the volume correction, open your file in Audacity. Select the whole track by doing Ctrl-A. Then go to the top menu bar, select "Effect" and then "Amplify". Enter -9.0 (negative 9.0) for the Amplification dB, then click OK.

Also, maybe it would be helpful to watch this short, instructional video: Amplifying a File with Audacity. Do keep in mind that the video shows how to amplify a file that is too quiet. In your case, we need to reduce the volume, so you will need to enter a -9.0 (negative 9.0) in the box for the "Amplification (dB)" amount. But the principle is the same, so you will be able to see how to do it.

As for checking the volume on your tracks, many of us here use either a program called MP3Gain or else a program called Checker. Both of these programs are free downloads, and they will show the volume level for your recordings. Checker also gives you some extra technical specs about your recording if you click on the "Information" tab. (I have both programs on my laptop.)

If you choose to download and use one of these programs, you might want to check out one or both of these very short videos: MP3Gain: Finding the Volume of Your MP3 Recordings or Using Checker to Find Your Decibel Level (One of our very amazing LibriVox members is kind enough to make these helpful videos for us--thank you, Phil!)

So give the corrections a try. Let us know if you still run into problems. If you are not using Audacity to record/edit, then we'll find someone else to lend a hand who has some expertise in the recording software that you use. Post the link here for the edited file along with the new track length, and I'll take another look. :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hi Lucretia,
Thank you for your very helpful feedback. I will get on this Monday. Thank you for pointing out the dropped lines of the text. I continue to have errors when opening the Audacity files that read something to the effect that the errors were replaced with silence. I went back to my original recordings and re-mixed the tracks hoping I got all of the dropped/missed recordings mixed back in. (I think perhaps my file names are too long. Fortunately, I backed up most of my files on a DVD disc and an external hard drive.)
I will check out and download one of the programs you suggested as well. I won't have a problem adjusting the amplification. I think learning the nuances of Audacity is as big of a challenge as doing the actual recordings. (But I'm getting more comfortable with Audacity every day.)
I have finished recording Section III and hope to have this final section edited, mixed and posted next week.
Again, you have gone above and beyond anything I could have expected in a PL'r and I really appreciate it.
I'll correct the errors and post again ASAP.
Enjoy your weekend. The weather is swampy, heavy, rainy, hot and humid, and just plain gross here in Tampa, FL this weekend. Not exactly the ideal billboard vacation spot the "Sunshine State" advertises.
Regards,
Holly
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

You know, Holly, it's difficult for anyone to learn a new software application--so I understand. Let me point you to some additional videos about using Audacity (scroll about halfway down this page): Instructional Videos. Also, we have a searchable Wiki here LibriVox Wiki if you prefer.

I don't know if you will find anything helpful there or not, but thought that I would toss it out. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone will be hanging around to answer! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Holly

THe problems you are having with Audacity sound to me like "resource" problems. Audacity uses a lot of everything when it is running.
Suggestions
Close down any other things that are running that you don't need. I used to have problems when my Abtivirus software started running
Check the space where it is storing the files , can you give it a bit more ?
Consider exporting as a .flac file as you stop a session . call them section2A , 2b etc. They are very small and it is a lossless format.
When you restart Audacity and it says it had problems you can open the latest .flac file you have (in Audacity) and use it as a replacement

Anne
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Thanks Anne, I'll do that. Losing files or parts of files is a big disappointment, especially after recording and re-recording to get them as best as one can.
Still awful weather here in Tampa as I hear thunder extremely close to my house. Rain and lightning are sure to follow. Living in a sub-tropical climate "ain't always what it's cracked up to be!" Cross your fingers we don't lose power...
Holly
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hi Lucretia,
In my haste to sign off my computer (due to a thunderstorm approaching) I didn't see your post. I'm printing both your and Anne's tips and I'll put them into action.
Bob Gonzalez sent me a document on the waves and I'm going to implement his suggestions too.
You guys are great with helping we mere novices. With your help, we'll get through this project and look forward to the next. Keep the tips coming.
Holly
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hi Anne and Lucretia,

I downloaded MP3Gain and the volume has been reduced by -9.0 per your suggestion. MP3Gain works great!
It now reads at 88.4. (Let's hope it's close enough. I dare not mess with it!)

I have replaced the sections that the original file dropped by losing files in Audacity and have saved Audacity files as .flac files.

Here's the file:

Length: 45:33

I've completed recording Section III and I'm in the process of editing it now. I can see daylight! :clap:

Please let me know of any other errors and I will attempt to correct them ASAP!

Holly
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

HollyMcGuire wrote:Here's the file:
Length: 45:33
I've completed recording Section III and I'm in the process of editing it now. I can see daylight! :clap:
Please let me know of any other errors and I will attempt to correct them ASAP!
Holly
Wow, Holly--that really sounds good with the volume brought down, don't you think? :thumbs:

For some reason, though, the dropped pieces are still not fixed. Check out the big blank spots at 43:43 and 44:18. :hmm: Could you please try again on those omitted lines? Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Hey Lucretia,
Will do. I'm sure I put them back in. (Perhaps I uploaded the wrong file?) I'll do it first thing on Wednesday.
Holly
HollyMcGuire

Post by HollyMcGuire »

Okay Gals,

Here we go:

Time: 45:35

I've listened to the end of the recording, the missing pieces are there. MP3Gain has the volume at 88.6. I'm 99.9% sure the correct file has been uploaded. Let's hope all has translated correctly!

Section III edit is almost finished. I have 4 hours to devote to Section III editing today.

Let's do this thing :!:

Holly