Translating into Spanish/French

Non-reading activities need your help too!
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Good evening

I’ve set up a Wiki account on Wikipedia, and can now login on Wiki pages I visit.

But funnily enough, I can’t login to Libribox Wiki pages (user name unknown).
Is there a catch ? Or do I have to have a Librivox login ?

This isn't a problem for the time being as I can download the Wiki source code ;
but when the time comes for putting it up on the Net . . .

@+
Philippe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life (Confucius)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Um, no, we have nothing to do with Wikipedia. Our Wiki is completely separate from that. Just PM me with your email address and I will set up a LibriVox Wiki account for you :).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello ananr

I’ve translated the page “How to Volunteer” ( original here : http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_to_Volunteer )

I’ve put it up on a web site from which you can download,
as I don’t know how to put a Word document on the Forum.

The download address is : http://www.golfbouffe.com

You will probably get a popup warning (depending on your operating system and your security settings).
- Authorise (Accept)
- The Word page opens
- Click “Page” in the menu just above and choose “Save as”.

When you have finished the proof-reading, Post on this thread and I’ll ask Ruth
to send you my e-mail address ( that if there is no way to upload directly on the Forum ).

Ruth
I sent you a private message yesterday.
Did you get it ?
If so, no need to answer.
If not, tell me so and I’ll try again.

@+
Philippe.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life (Confucius)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I sent you a private message yesterday.
Did you get it ?
No, I haven't received a private message from you, Philippe. Did you hit 'Submit', or just 'Preview'? You need to 'Submit', otherwise it doesn't get sent.

Ruth
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello Ananr

As I’m a bit dense, I had to read the Intro/Explanation several times that is the first post on every project page.

And all of a sudden I was asking myself (yes, I do talk to myself) if a Frenchman whose Mother Tongue is not English :
could understand the subtleties of the text ?

So I’ve translated it, adding info on MC and BC,
as well as step by step info on “How to Upload”.

It’s here : http://www.golfbouffe.com/librivox/librivox.php

Please look at it and give me your correction suggestions.

I authorise Ruth to give you my e-mail address
so that you can mail me your suggestions (all in blue or red if possible).

Ruth : Thank you for my LibriVox Wiki account. I now have to learn how to use it . . .

@+
Philippe.
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Hi Philippe,

I just asked Ruth for a wiki permission.

I have also taken a look at your translation (bravo!). I just did a couple of corrections/suggestions you will see as soon as I can email you the files.

I have used the Word editing tools, so corrections/suggestions should appear in green (since you already used blue and red for other purposes). Lines where corrections were made also appear with a small black line on their left margin.

In order to see my corrections, you the Editing Tool will have to be activated on your Word program. Let me know if you need help for that.

Best,
ananr
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Hi both,

I started editing the wikis with Philippe's translation, but then suddenly started wondering what would happen to the English version if I replaced it with the French???? So I had to back up and replace the French with the English... I was wondering if we needed to change the name of the page or ???

Sorry for the inconvenience, Ruth. I hope we can start making this rolling without bothering you further.

Philippe: I think it would be a lot easier if you translated directly into the wikis. It should save us both time. You only have to go to the page you want to translate, log in with the new translator account, and then click on the "edit" button at the right of each section. You will only have to make sure you respect the formatting, as Ruth was saying. For instance, do not erase any added symbol (such as [], ==), and make sure you leave the inter and intranet addresses intact.

If you make a mistake, there is always the "cancel" button!

Cheers,
ananr
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

PS. For the time being, and as soon as we get an answer for my previous question, I will do the wikis editing for what you translated, Philippe, since I have already made (really minor) corrections to it and you took the time to format it.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You should create a new wiki page for your translations into French/Spanish, linking it back to the existing one in English.

All you need to do is to make a link to your translation, looking like this
[[de volontaire]]
(or whatever you want the title to be)

This will create a red link in the wiki. If you click it, you will get a message that this page does not exist, and whether you want to create it. Go from there :wink:

Be careful choosing the title, as far as I know only the wiki admins (Ruth) can change titles or delete pages.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

Hi!

Thank you Availle!

So, one of Philippe's translations is ready! Please let me know if you can access it:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Comment_devenir_benevole

(Sorry about the lack of accents in the title: I was not sure if it could support them, but apparently it does, so I will do better next time).

Philippe, can you please check for errors I might have made, or changes you do not agree with and let me know?

best,
ananr
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Hello anaNR

It looks fine to me. Thanks alot.

I’ve noticed that the links open in the same page, not in a separate Tab.
Is this standard LibriVox/Wiki procedure ?

And also, down by the end, just before “Audituers et éditeurs”,
the phrase “rendez-vous sur la page Newbie Guide to Recording”.

Wouldn’t it be better to write it in French : “Guide pour les Nouveaux Venus”,
as the page exists in French : http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_pour_les_d%C3%A9butants

Again, thank you anaNR.

@+
Philippe.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I’ve noticed that the links open in the same page, not in a separate Tab.
Is this standard LibriVox/Wiki procedure ?
Yes, that must be how the underlying MediaWiki system works. If you need to open multiple pages at once, you can right-click the link and "Open in new tab (or window)".

Ruth
anaNR

Post by anaNR »

dumbo wrote:Hello anaNR

And also, down by the end, just before “Audituers et éditeurs”,
the phrase “rendez-vous sur la page Newbie Guide to Recording”.

Wouldn’t it be better to write it in French : “Guide pour les Nouveaux Venus”,
as the page exists in French : http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_pour_les_d%C3%A9butants

Again, thank you anaNR.

@+
Philippe.
Bonjour Philippe,

Comme vous l'avez suggéré, j'ai remplacé "Newbie Guide..." par "Auditeurs et éditeurs". Je pense en effet qu'au fur et à mesure que les pages seront traduites, il faudra traduire en Français les titres qui s'y réfèrent (je suppose que, comme vous l'avez bien vu, ce n'est pas nécessaire pour les différentes sections du Forum).

Sauriez-vous me donner le lien anglais du 2ème wiki que vous avez traduit: "Comment choisir un chapitre"? Dès que j'aurai un peu de temps, j'éditerai le wiki.

En tout cas, merci pour votre implication et votre collaboration.

Cdt,
ananr
dumbo

Post by dumbo »

Bonjour anaNR, Hello Administrators.

Je vais écrire ceci en Anglais, car cela concerne aussi les Administrateurs.

As I indicated in an earlier message on August 31 st,
the “First Post” of a project ( the page with all the explanations and the Magic Window ),
has been translated into French here : http://www.golfbouffe.com/librivox/librivox.php - “Comment Choisir un Chapitre”.

For the moment it’s a Word doc.
How do we put it up on the Forum ?
- a brand new Wiki page
or
- a simple html page (which I can encode).

Has the Forum a web master who could give us the correct procedure ?

@+
Philippe.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

If you are trying to make a French version of the first post of a project, Philippe, there is no need, as this is already available in the Project Template Generator that is used to start a project. The first post text is available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. You choose the language of the template in the drop-down menu directly beneath 'Librivox Dashboard Librivox Forum Help'

Ruth