[COMPLETE] Wilderness Ways by Wm. J. Long - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Wilderness Ways by William J. Long (1867 - 1952).

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page: https://librivox.org/wilderness-ways-by-william-j-long/

Volunteers outside the USA: William J. Long died in 1952. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.
Late nineteenth-century naturalist William J. Long invites us in to the secret worlds of woodland animals in this, his second, fascinating book. Long's stories of the secret lives of woodland animals come from time he spent in the woods, observing the behaviors and characteristics of the wilderness inhabitants directly. His method? Sit quietly, wait (sometimes for hours), and the animals will come. This book, unlike his first, Ways of Wood Folk, seems to be directed at his critics who accused him of assigning human emotions and intentions to the animals he profiles in his writings; Wilderness Ways very deliberately tells the unvarnished truth about animal behaviors, both tender caring and vicious murder are illustrated herein. Wilderness Ways opens up the hidden world of its woodland subjects with beautiful imagery and descriptive prose which is accessible enough for a child to read while at the same time engaging for readers of all ages. Be transported into Long's hidden wilderness world. (Summary by Jill Engle)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15950
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================
      Genres for the project: Nature & Animal Fiction; Short Stories
      Keywords that describe the book: will add
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

For pronunciation help, please see the "Glossary of Indian Names" at the end of the book.

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [section number from MW] of Wilderness Ways. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Wilderness Ways, by William J. Long. [Chapter number] [Chapter title] [Part number if applicable]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [section number from MW]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Wilderness Ways, by William J. Long."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      wildernessways_##_long_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wildernessways_01_long.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: William J. Long
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Wilderness Ways

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please PM me or post below
      Jill :)
Last edited by jillebean on August 9th, 2014, 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paks6

Post by Paks6 »

hi there when you get this up and running I would be interested in reading a chapter or 2 :)

oh darn :( its not public domain in my country ...sorry
Last edited by Paks6 on August 8th, 2014, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie Paula

Always take the road less travelled!
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi, Jill-

Could I PL this for you?
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Paks6 wrote:hi there when you get this up and running I would be interested in reading a chapter or 2 :)
Great! Keep an eye out, we should be up and running as soon as a MC claims us. Thanks for your interest!

Jill
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

pschempf wrote:Hi, Jill-

Could I PL this for you?
Hi Fritz!! Nice to hear from you! You most certainly may DPL for this project. That will be fun. Thanks for volunteering. I'll get things moving as soon as we get claimed by a MC.

Jill :)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Jill! Let me MC. I'll go set it up!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

OK. MW in place! :D
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Rapunzelina wrote:OK. MW in place! :D
Hi Rapunzelina!!! Thanks for taking on our project. :) I will fill in the MW later today. Thanks so much for getting it set up!

Jill :clap:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You're welcome, Jill! When the MW is ready we'll move to the Readers Wanted, since we already have a DPL! Thanks, Phil :thumbs:
Paks6 wrote:oh darn :( its not public domain in my country ...sorry
If you are currently in Canada, the rule there is 50 years after author's death. So you are safe to get involved in this project! :wink:
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

I believe that I have the MW and everything else in order and that we can move to Readers Wanted. Rapunzelina, will you please make sure the way I structured the introductions to each section makes sense? I also added extra sections after deciding that some of the chapters would be more manageable if split in half. I think that's all. Thanks!!!

Jill
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The intros make perfect sense :thumbs: And we are now in Readers Wanted!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

May I read section 0?
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Kangaroo692 wrote:May I read section 0?
Hello! Welcome to LibriVox!

Yes, of course you may read Section 00 for the project! We're glad to have you.

Before you record for this project it is strongly recommended that you complete a 1-minute test. This helps ensure that you have everything set up correctly and that your audio is at the correct levels which saves you from having to re-record files for projects like this one. Here is the wiki page on how to record, upload, and receive feedback on your 1-minute test:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Also, if you haven't already seen it, the Newbie Guide to Recording is a page you should read through:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I have added you to the LibriVox catalog, you can see your catalog page at: https://librivox.org/reader/9478. You can also get to this by clicking on your name in the Magic Window (MW). This is a good place to look to keep track of recordings you've signed up for, to see section details click on the link to "Reader Section Details" which appears just a few lines down from your name. This page includes your forum name "Kangaroo692" and can also contain your real name or a pseudonym, plus a web site/blog if you have one you would like to link to. Let me know if you would like to add a name and/or a web site.

Again, welcome to LibriVox and enjoy!

Jill
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

jillebean wrote:
Kangaroo692 wrote:May I read section 0?
Hello! Welcome to LibriVox!

Yes, of course you may read Section 00 for the project! We're glad to have you.

Before you record for this project it is strongly recommended that you complete a 1-minute test. This helps ensure that you have everything set up correctly and that your audio is at the correct levels which saves you from having to re-record files for projects like this one. Here is the wiki page on how to record, upload, and receive feedback on your 1-minute test:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Also, if you haven't already seen it, the Newbie Guide to Recording is a page you should read through:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

I have added you to the LibriVox catalog, you can see your catalog page at: https://librivox.org/reader/9478. You can also get to this by clicking on your name in the Magic Window (MW). This is a good place to look to keep track of recordings you've signed up for, to see section details click on the link to "Reader Section Details" which appears just a few lines down from your name. This page includes your forum name "Kangaroo692" and can also contain your real name or a pseudonym, plus a web site/blog if you have one you would like to link to. Let me know if you would like to add a name and/or a web site.

Again, welcome to LibriVox and enjoy!

Jill
Thank you for your advice.
Also thank you for creating my catalog page.

I have read the "Newbie Guide to Recording" and a lot of other pages from the wiki.

May I also record Section 01?