[COMPLETE] Opuscula by Aristotle -tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GeoffreyEdwards
Location: Box 311 Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada R0K1W0 1-204-728-1306

Post by GeoffreyEdwards »

Opuscula by Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC) Translated by Edward Forster (1879-1950), Harold Joachim (1868-1938), Launcelot Dowdal (????-1930) and Thomas Loveday (1875-1966).

Volunteers outside the USA: Thomas Loveday died in 1966. The translator's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.
Opuscala is a collection of shorter books that may or may not have been written by Aristotle.

1. On Colours
2. On Things Heard
3. Physiognomonics
4. On Plants
5. On Marvellous Things Heard
6. Mechanics
7. Concerning Indivisible Lines
8. The Situations and Names of Winds
9. On Melissus, Xenophanes, and Gorgias

(Summary by Geoffrey Edwards)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worksaristotle00arisuoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "On Colours. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "On Colours by Aristotle. Translated by Edward Forster & Thomas Loveday. "

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "[Specific Book Name] by Aristotle. Translated by [Translator(s) Name]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Each book in this recording is treated as a separate entity so there is no need to reference the project title of 'Opuscula'.
    • Only if applicable in the case of multiple sections for the same book say:
      "[Part XXX or Book XXX]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Book Name]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of [Name of Book]. Translated by [Translator(s)]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename opuscala_##_aristotle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. opuscula_01_aristotle_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by GeoffreyEdwards on August 12th, 2018, 7:21 pm, edited 25 times in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Geoffrey. Looking at the text it looks like it could be logically divided into three sections instead all in one. Is there a reason for putting them into one? You have experience with Aristotle so I'm just asking. Looks like an interesting project. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
GeoffreyEdwards

Hi Phil. I've actually recorded the whole book already and edited it once. I just need to edit it one more time. I liked the idea of it just being one section because when I listen to a book I like to spend as little time as possible listening to intros and conclusions. The whole book only takes about 45 minutes. Also, I find I record one section per weekend whether it is 20 minutes or 45 so I am more productive with longer sections.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:Hi Phil. I've actually recorded the whole book already and edited it once. I just need to edit it one more time. I liked the idea of it just being one section because when I listen to a book I like to spend as little time as possible listening to intros and conclusions. The whole book only takes about 45 minutes. Also, I find I record one section per weekend whether it is 20 minutes or 45 so I am more productive with longer sections.
Ok Geoffrey, sounds good to me. I will set this up for you this evening.
EDIT: The Magic Window is ready. I suggest you add a tilde in front of the title to see if you can attract a DPL unless you have one lined up already of course. Let's leave this in the Launch pad for a few days to see if there are any interested parties.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:The whole book only takes about 45 minutes.
For things that are less than one hour in length, we would very much appreciate if they were submitted to one of our collections - we have the non-fiction collection open for this one:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52395

It will be fully search- and findable in the catalog; and there is a DPL for that collection already.

Please do consider that - we can reuse this MW without problems for another project.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
GeoffreyEdwards

Hi Availle and Phil. Ok. Change of plans. I was originally going to do each of the books in the Opuscula separately but I've realized that now is the perfect time to just do them all together as one large project because none of these books have recordings and some are very short. Thanks for the idea. Geoff :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:Hi Availle and Phil. Ok. Change of plans. I was originally going to do each of the books in the Opuscula separately but I've realized that now is the perfect time to just do them all together as one large project because none of these books have recordings and some are very short. Thanks for the idea. Geoff :thumbs:
Would you please explain more about this Geoff? It sounds like the way to go but I am a bit confused.
GeoffreyEdwards

Hi Phil. This book contains several smaller works by Aristotle. Originally I was just going to record them each separately but now I would like to just record them as a collection of apocryphal texts attributed to Aristotle.
GeoffreyEdwards

Bad news. Loveday died in 1966 so I think this book is not public domain for me in Canada. I will search for another version.

On the Internet Archive it is under Canadian Libraries and Toronto and listed as Public Domain. Maybe they know something I don't?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry to butt in here again... :oops:

I very much appreciate the idea that you want to read the whole book! :thumbs:
Pity there are copyright problems... :?

Note that on internet archive everybody can upload texts (or audio) and then set the copyright. If the book was uploaded by an American, he would be correct to mark it as "public domain", as it is indeed PD in the US...

So, if Loveday indeed died in 1966, I don't think there's a way that this is PD for you. :( You could read only the parts that were not translated by Loveday, but the sections probably don't state that, am I right?
Alternatively, you could wait until 2017 with this project...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
GeoffreyEdwards

I came across Loveday in a dictionary of 20th century British philosophers. I think you are right Availle. I will just set this aside until 2017. Sorry to waste your and Phil's time. :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :? Would you please delete this project. Thank you.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:I came across Loveday in a dictionary of 20th century British philosophers. I think you are right Availle. I will just set this aside until 2017. Sorry to waste your and Phil's time. :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :? Would you please delete this project. Thank you.
Not a waste of time all Geoffrey and I applaud you for your interest in recording audio books for the public domain, especially rare items like this. But surely Loveday is not the only person to translate Aristotle from the Greek or Latin? Or is this the only translation you wish to do? Just asking because there may others out there that are PD and you could record these books before 2017. In the meantime I will delete this project and expect you to look for other great things to record! Sometimes discussing proposed projects in Book Suggestions allows troubles like this to be investigated and fixed before actually starting.
:D
GeoffreyEdwards

Hi Phil. I've searched and searched for another similar collection of translated works and so far haven't been able to find one. I can't even find individual translations with Latin or English titles for most of these books. People seem to have picked this translation and stuck with it in terms of putting it on the internet. 2017 isn't too far away so I guess I will wait.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

GeoffreyEdwards wrote:Hi Phil. I've searched and searched for another similar collection of translated works and so far haven't been able to find one. I can't even find individual translations with Latin or English titles for most of these books. People seem to have picked this translation and stuck with it in terms of putting it on the internet. 2017 isn't too far away so I guess I will wait.
Yep., it looks like this will need to wait. I will move it to ON HOLD and perhaps in 2017 we can pick it up again, eh?

So .... what is your next project going to be? There are many thousands waiting to be recorded. :D
What about some of the Latin stoics?
GeoffreyEdwards

Hi Phil. I've got a few books in mind. I will post on here to let you know in case you are free to MC. Thank you. Geoff