COMPLETE[solo]Journal of a Disappointed Man -WNP Barbellion-a

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

The Journal of a Disappointed Man by W. N. P. Barbellion (1889 - 1919).
The journal of British naturalist Bruce Frederick Cummings, spanning from his early childhood through to his early death from complications stemming from multiple sclerosis. The diary combines beautiful, lyrical passages concerning the natural world with more introspective ruminations reminiscent of Kafka. Although successful and scandalous upon their publication in 1919, interest in the diaries has faded along with public interest in naturalism and diary writing more generally. However, Cummings' work is very modern is its forthright confessional tone and contains some deeply moving pieces of writing not easily forgotten. (Adam Whybray)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-journal-of-a-disappointed-man-by-w-n-p-barbellion/
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39585
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Journal of a Disappointed Man. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Journal of a Disappointed Man, by W. N. P. Barbellion. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Journal of a Disappointed Man by W. N. P. Barbellion. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Journal of a Disappointed Man, by W. N. P. Barbellion. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename disappointedman_##_barbellion_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. disappointedman_01_barbellion_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: W. N. P. Barbellion
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Journal of a Disappointed Man

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
---

There has been previous discussion on Librivox about recording Barbellion's diaries. Indeed, he is mentioned in the catalogue! Yet, the journal does not actually appear to have been recorded and I would very much love to attempt to do so myself. Having recorded 2/3rds of the collaborative recording of Frank Norris' 'Vandover and the Brute' earlier this year (we began 2013) and spearheaded the project to successful completion, I feel ready to undertake an entire solo recording myself.

My only concern is how to split the diary. It is split into three sections, but these are rather hefty and unevenly weighted. Perhaps more appropriate would be one chapter per year, but that would lead to some very short chapters and rather a lot of them. Any thoughts?

As for the dedicated proof-listener, my personal preference would be Amy (alg1001) since she did such an amazing job with 'Vandover' and really helped push things through to completion. However, any assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT: Amy has, indeed, agreed to MC / proof-listen! :D

I hope this all seems feasible. It is a work I am very familiar with and care about deeply and I think my voice would suit Barbellion's own.

- Sprocket / Adam :)
Last edited by Sprocket on June 17th, 2016, 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm full up on MC projects, but if no one comes along in a couple days to start this one for you, I'll do so.

Meanwhile, I've made a couple changes to your template. I shortened the file name a little bit, and I also changed your text link to the main Archive page for that work, rather than having it the text link. That way your DPL can choose which format to look at rather than being forced into one. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hurrah! Amy (alg1001) says she will MC and proof-listen!

I'm very much excited about this project.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
The project is set up now. I gave it 21 sections to start. Section 0 being for the preface.
I am moving us to Going Solo now. I am excited to listen to it.
Thanks,
Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

We're all go! Thanks so much Amy!

I've uploaded H. G. Wells' tonally curious introduction. I like his reflection that the journey of life is to abandon egotism. Unexpectedly Buddhist!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_00_barbellion_128kb.mp3
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
This is going to be an interesting listen. It is wonderful to have the intro by H.G. Wells.
I proof listened it. It is in stereo. Please put it in mono.
Thanks!
Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It is in Mono now and PL OK. :thumbs:
Thanks!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

Sorry for the delay, but I have now uploaded section 1, 1903-1908... in which the young Barbellion writes an essay on how cats spend their time, dissects a lot of fish, spies on some girls with his field-glasses and has a run in with an adder that refuses to die!

It lasts 40:33 and is 37.1 mb in size. I've given it a proof-listen myself, but you may want to listen out for my Latin (mis?)pronunciations.

The files is: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_01_barbellion_128kb.mp3

All best,
Adam :D
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

EDIT: I've just noticed that the journal is, in fact, up on Gutenberg, which I had previously missed, in favour of archive.org

I consider Gutenberg to be more reliable... on archive, I was working from the scanned images of the book itself (which I own several copies of!) since the text had some obvious mis-spellings.

Hopefully, it is agreeable to change over to Gutenberg. I suspect that (since I was working from the scanned book pages, not the archive txt file) there should be no discrepancies in what I have already recorded. :)

Hope this is ok.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
That will be fine. Gutenberg is preferred. It is cool that you own some copies. It must be a favorite.
I will PL soon.

-Amy :D
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

It is indeed! I think it's a real shame it's been so forgotten! :)

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks as always,
Adam
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Your file is PL OK. :thumbs:
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Ah! Great! Many thanks.
I think that's the first recording I've managed without need for correction! :9:

What did you make of the diary thus far? (if you have any thoughts!) :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

He is so curious and self-motivated in his pursuit of natural history. It is going to be hard to hear him become disappointed.