[COMPLETE]The Seaboard Parish by George MacDonald-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the suggestion about the "Volume." That makes a lot of sense and would be better than having to go back and paste the "volume 1" that would be a headache! Tiffany will make that call when she gets back. But for now, just leave it out, as the first post indicates and as the other readers have done.

Thanks for signing up for your chapter, it will be neat to hear it!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~Kim
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Hi Tiffany,

I see you are away, and don't expect to hear back for a few days. I would like to read Chapters 1 and 2, if they are still open.

Ed
Peppersnoodles93

edhumpal wrote:Hi Tiffany,
I see you are away, and don't expect to hear back for a few days. I would like to read Chapters 1 and 2, if they are still open.
Ed
Good morning Ed!

I'm filling in for Tiffany while she's away. Thanks for signing up for Chapters 1 and 2. I will mark you down for them.

I'm need to put your name in catalog here. This can be your forum name or real name. For example my forum name is peppersnoodles93, but my catalog name is Kimberly Krause. You can choose whatever you would like though.

Please let me know so I can put you in. :)

Thanks so much!
~Kim
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Thank you Kim...er...Peppersnoodles. :wink: I'm just all Ed all the time. edhumpal here would be Ed Humpal in the catalog. It's an Ed thing, I guess. :hmm:
Peppersnoodles93

edhumpal wrote:Thank you Kim...er...Peppersnoodles. :wink: I'm just all Ed all the time. edhumpal here would be Ed Humpal in the catalog. It's an Ed thing, I guess. :hmm:
Sounds good and you are in the system!!! :) :D
~Kim
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Peppersnoodles93

edhumpal wrote:Well, my hat's in the ring...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/seaboardparish_01_macdonald.mp3
Hi Ed!

Loved listening to this! I can't wait to hear your next recording!

Everything is perfect! The volume is a bit high. We shoot for 89 as the standard, but 87-91 is the flex range there. If you could de-amplify just a couple dB's (you're at 93), and re-upload, that would be great.

When you upload again, please post the file time as well. :)

Thanks so much! Wonderful job!
~Kim
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Thank you for the kind words, Kim. I did drag that file into Checker, and saw that it was a little loud. But I wasn't certain how to proceed, so I decided to wait for a comment. I was mostly worried about an Audacity filter suppressing tone or expression, and hmm, who'd guess that "amplify" could mean "deamplify?" Fretting a little and searching, I came across mp3gain, and that sounds better to my non-tech mind, but I really don't know why. An algorithm for perceived loudness? Too strange. Guess there's a reason I like 19th century books.

Which approach do you think is better? Am I making something simple too complicated?

I'm glad to work on the file again though, so I guess I can just save a couple originals and try it both ways. When I upload again, do I use exactly the same file name, not version 2 or something?
Peppersnoodles93

Hi Ed,
Sorry I didn't give you much instruction there! Ok, for this recording go to "effect" then "amplify" then do "-3dB's" and you're done!

That will de-amplify the whole track. And when you upload it use the same file name. When it uploads it will replace the other one with the correct one.

For future recordings, in audacity there's a little slider with a microphone on it. Just slide that down a bit to make the whole thing a little softer.

MP3 gain is great to check your volume, I haven't used it to make the volume correct.... so I don't know how to tell you to do it on that program.

No need to make a few copies and try it, unless you want to experiment for your own sake. For LV it's pretty simple to get the volume up to par and you're good to go!

Thanks! Let me know if you need more help.
~Kim
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Peppersnoodles93

edhumpal wrote:Shucks, that was easy-peasey.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/seaboardparish_01_macdonald.mp3 11:16
Hey, thanks for doing that. I'm not going to re-download to check it, I'm sure you're good to go! PL OK for this file.
Thank you so much! Can't wait for the next one!
~Kim
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Hi everyone, I have fixed up the first post as has been suggested :D thanks for your patience! Let me know if everything looks right!
~Tiffany
kneverett

Post by kneverett »

I apologize for not getting my chapter recording uploaded as timely as promised. I had a problem with the microphone which requires me to replace it. Another is on order and should be here later this week. Hopefully I'll have it in time to work on it over the weekend.
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

No problem, it actually worked out well, if you had already recorded it I would have to chase you down to insert 'Volume 2' in the intro :D
~Tiffany
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »