'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Kara Shallenberg!

Dearest Kara,

We are a homeschool family with six children, four with vision issues two of whom also have dyslexia. The oldest just graduated high school and is off to a private university. The next is close behind with an amazing, off-the-charts auditory learning ability yet extreme difficulties in every other area. Not with standing, her future is astoundingly promising! Why? Literature and the access all these children have had to a world that they would have otherwise been excluded from or found overbearing and overwhelming to experience.

Your voice is so distinguishable in our ears, after so many years of you coming alongside us in our education and entertainment, as familiar as a voice living inside these four walls. We are from San Diego but live in Orange County, so we feel as if we are your neighbor and dear friend.

Thank you for all that you have done to enrich our lives and expand exponentially a love for literature, as these children go out into the world-your voice echoing in their ears, whispering, singing, imagining, sharing your love of literature and theirs with a malnourished postmodern, technologically gluttonous and sound bitten world!

As we begin a new phase of education, we can’t help but look back and hear you in the halls of our minds.

With all our love and blessings,

Faye and family
All of Kara's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for earthcalling (David Barnes) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
RE: George Muller, Answers to prayer from Narrative. English reading.

A big thank you. An amazing and inspiring book and so wonderfully read. It was almost like George, calm and composed narrated the story himself.

It would be amazing if I could find out other books you read for!

Cheers and regards
Glenn
Tauranga
New Zealand
Answers to Prayer
All of David's recordings

I have directed the listener to your catalog page -ck
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
To Mark Smith,

Thank you for your reading of "Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ". I know a lot of work went in to recording this, and I wanted to let you know that someone enjoyed it very much! The scenes at the Crucifixion especially came alive more so than when I read the book myself. Thank you for your work that was so well done.

Tryphena
Dear Mr. Mark F. Smith,

Let me express my thanks for your reading
of The House of the Seven Gables by N. Hawthorne.
It was a very enjoyable performance.
Much appreciated.

Sincerely,
mlcui
All of Mark's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for om123 (om123) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Kindly convey my thanks to OM123
All of om123's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for gToon (Richard Grove) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Richard. If you recorded more than the first five chapters, I would be more than happy to purchase them.

David
The Good Soldier
All of Richard's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. MaryAnn,

Thank you for your wonderful reading of
The Street of Seven Stars by MR Rinehart.
I loved every moment - was both anxious and
excited for all the characters. I intend to listen
to more of your readings and more from this author.

Sincerely,
mlcui
The Street of Seven Stars
All of MaryAnn's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for johng (John Greenman) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. John Greenman,

Thank you for your reading of
Uncle Tom's Cabin by H.B. Stowe.
I loved how carefully and skillfully you voiced
all the characters. It was very interesting
and enjoyable to listen to. Much appreciated.

Sincerely,
mlcui
All of John's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for Adrian (Adrian Praetzellis) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just finished enjoying My First Summer in the Sierra by John Muir, narrated by Adrian Praetzellis, and it was excellent! Mr. Praetzellis was the perfect narrator for this book, and his tone and expression were spot-on. He perfectly expressed the wonder and reverence of John Muir’s descriptions of the beautiful landscape, and voiced the characters and quotations with just enough differentiation of accent and tone, but not too much. I listen to lots of audiobooks, and this volunteer recording was more than up to the standard of expensive, commercially-produced ones. Thank you, Mr. Praetzellis, for the hours of work you must have put into this project.

-Jill
My First Summer in Sierra
All of Adrian's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for JessicaLouise (Jessica Louise) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Jessica Louise,
I want to thank you for your beautiful readings of both The Autobiography of
Anthony Trollope and The Warden.
One day I'd like to be a DPL for Librivox
I'm from Minneapolis too.
Sincerely,
Charles
All of Jessica's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for DSayers (Denny Sayers) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello librivox and hello Denny Sayers,

Many thanks for your great reading of Robinson Crusoe, it was one of my
favourite books as a kid and now having listened to your audio on of the
full rendition it came alive as a story for me, i enjoyed your reading
so much i looked for more titles under your name like The Life,
Adventures & Piracies of Captain Singleton.

Regards
David from Ireland
All of Denny's recordings
Carolin
ahab

Post by ahab »

Sincere thanks to both of you for these kind words -- much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Stewart
Carolin wrote:Praise for ahab (Stewart Wills) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Stuart Wills

I really enjoyed your reading of Moby-Dick; you have a very relaxed, informal style that allows the text to speak through you, and your characterisations of Stubb and the other sailors is sensitive, corresponding well to the descriptions given by Melville. I’m English so hearing this great American novel in a suitable accent adds to the pleasure. Thanks again

Yours sincerely

Steve
Stuart Wills's Reading of H. Melville's "Moby Dick"

Outstanding job!!! Beautifully written and wonderfully read.
All of Stewart's recordings
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Dear Martin Geeson
I wanted to congratulate you on your marvellously atmospheric, humorous and sensitive reading of Rabelais ... any chance you could record the whole thing?

No disrespect to your collaborators but your readings beautifully express the character of the original with wit and a lightness of touch I’m sure Rabelais would’ve appreciated...

Steve
I'm so pleased to read of your enjoyment of this Rabelais project. I do indeed intend go ahead with the other three books, as solo readings, when I've got through some of my other commitments.

Rabelais, in Urquhart's wondrous translation, is a great challenge and (especially in the wilfully tedious parts) calls for comedic resources that I hadn't realised I possessed. It really is a joy to forget one's a 5 foot 5 inch introvert and go cavorting outrageously with giants.

All the best
Martin
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hello everyone!
I'd like to say thank you so much to Martin Geeson for being such an amazing reader. I've been listening to The Idiot and The brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and my very favorite chapters are those read by him. I've just found out he's read many other books as well, and I was now wondering, which one he most enjoyed reading? Thanks again and congrats!
Thayla
You are very kind and make me want to get back to recording the great Russians. :)

Quite often it is the books read in collaboration that are most fun, I find. Solos can get a bit lonely, particularly when they're lengthy. One group project I loved doing was Chekhov's play The Bear - it's section 5 of this collection:
https://librivox.org/one-act-play-collection-003-by-various

Generally I enjoy myself most in works that seem to suit my voice - so you'll often find me growling as an eighteenth-century squire. I love doing anything by Sterne (The Sentimental Journey was a favourite solo; also the run of chapters I read in Vol. 4 of Tristram Shandy - I would so like to have done more of that marvellous novel).

Best wishes
Martin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for yazpistachio (Yazpistachio) and rlowalrus (Madame Tusk) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Yazpistachio and Madame Tusk,

I love your work on A Damsel in Distress. I have never heard such perfectly portrayed characters by a single voice. I was not hardly ever aware of it still being the voice of just one person when listening. Was completely in the world. And since I have never read his work I was startled into laughter when the funny bits came along. You guys are even better than the voice in my head when reading.

Really well done. Seamless transition between readers and excellent performance. I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this version of P.G. Wodehouse's work first to listen to. I recommended this version to my friend. You guys really made several of my days really pleasant and I really wanted to thank you for contributing your time to reading this book! Thank you! Thank you!

Warm Regards,
Grace.
A Damsel in Distress
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for beckym (Becky Miller) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Whoever read Daniel Deronda!

You were great

and the novel is great great great!

Thank you for making it possible!

bminder