Complete Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913 by Harris Newmark (1834 - 1916).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sixty-years-in-southern-california-1853-1913-by-harris-newmark/

Harris Newmark was personally acquainted with every person and family involved in the founding of the city of Los Angeles, California. He gathers into this well-written book his reminiscences of the period from 1853 to 1913, as Los Angeles developed from a tiny village surrounded by great ranchos into a modern city. This book is a fascinating treasure trove of information for anyone who lives in Los Angeles. ***NOTE: It should be noted that there is language within this book that was commonplace during the time this book was written that is often considered offensive today.***(Summary by PJ Landau, Note by KHand)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42680
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913, by Harris Newmark. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913 by Harris Newmark. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Sixty Years in Southern California 1853-1913, by Harris Newmark. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename sixtyyearsinsocal_##_newmark.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sixtyyearsinsocal_01_newmark.mp3)
  • The tags can stay blank!

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by MrsHand on May 20th, 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Note: This project already has an Admin/MC (Carolin) and DPL (Laura).
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

youre all set :thumbs:

let me know if you need anything else :)
Carolin
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I've gotten everything bookmarked and I'm all set to go. :)
Laura
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Looks good! Thank you both. :clap:

I'll exercise the MW when I preload the section info later today.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

very good! lets move out to going solo in the meantime :)
Carolin
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Carolin wrote:very good! lets move out to going solo in the meantime :)
Gee, such confidence. :wink:

Right now I'm going over the text for each section and selecting which footnotes are worth including and moving them inline with the text so it flows smoothly and I don't have to fool around when I'm reading it.

I work off the plain text version from Gutenberg which I break up into the intended sections, move footnotes to where they flow well in the text (usually after the paragraph where the citation appears), then I convert it to a reflowable PDF that works properly on my Nook Simple Touch. The first ten sections are done and ready to be read.

The word counts in the MW are maximums because they include all footnotes, image tags, and image captions. Actual word counts are usually a bit less than what I show in the MW and never more.

Even though I've read the book, my main problem is wasting time by constantly getting sucked into the text and reading it again. I really love the book.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

pjlandau wrote:I really love the book.
perfect! :mrgreen:
Carolin
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Carolin,

We didn't disappear. Laura and I are batting emails and sound samples back and forth while getting a new mike set up tuned in properly.

PJ
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

oh, i dont worry if i dont hear from you in a few days -- who can post a section in their solo every day? :wink:
Carolin
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Section 01 is up. 41:03
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

What a delight this was to listen to. I really like this author's style of writing and the sound of your new microphone is fantastic! :clap:

There was one word change that I've noted:

@4:09 Text is: "Fortunately, just then they met Perry Worden, a post-graduate of Columbia and a Doctor of Philosophy of the University of Halle, Germany; a scholar and an author of attainments.-- "They" was read "I"
Laura
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

lvictoria wrote:What a delight this was to listen to. I really like this author's style of writing and the sound of your new microphone is fantastic! :clap:
I like to hear that! :D

Nice catch on the error. :clap: The corrected version will be up as soon as it's done compressing, etc.
pjlandau

Post by pjlandau »

Corrected Section 01 is up. Duration changed to 41:02.

Section 02 is up. Duration 29:08.
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

A very nicely done edit on 1. :)

I've got 2 downloaded and will listen this evening.
Laura