COMPLETE [PLAY] Patience (W.S. Gilbert) - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Patience (Bunthorne's Bride) by W. S. Gilbert (1836 - 1911).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/patience-bunthornes-bride-by-w-s-gilbert/

A comic operetta which satirises fashion, pretension and hero-worship. Bunthorne is a poet who pretends to be highly "idealised" in order to impress the ladies. They all worship him, except for Patience, the dairy maid, who is the only one he loves. However, his grand plan goes awry with the arrival of Grosvenor who is more idealised and poetical than he is. The ladies all flock after Grosvenor instead, until Bunthorne curses him with poor fashion sense and stoutness! But will the curse bring Bunthorne his Patience? (Summary by Beth Thomas)
  • Please note this will be a poetic reading NOT a musical one. You do not have to sing to take part!

Casting is Gender Correct please.

(If you are desperate to sing an aria, PM me to discuss it. No singing for chorus/ensemble, it's just too difficult.)

BC: Elizabby
    Editor: Peppersnoodles93
    DPL: Elizabby

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/patienceorbuntho00gilbuoft
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of Patience or Bunthorne's Bride, by W. S. Gilbert. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      patiencedr_role_#.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle - Availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on May 4th, 2015, 5:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I am prepared to edit this myself, but if anyone else would like to help me that would be wonderful.
Help with PLing would also be appreciated!

PARTS in order of size within each grouping:

MEN:
Reginald Bunthorne (a Fleshly Poet - comic role)
Archibald Grosvenor (an Idyllic Poet - comic role)
Colonel Calverley (Officer of Dragoon Guards)
Major Murgatroyd (Officer of Dragoon Guards)
Lieut. The Duke of Dunstable (Officer of Dragoon Guards) - claimed by alanmapstone

Colonel, Major and Duke will also read for the male chorus.

WOMEN:
Patience (a Dairy Maid)
The Lady Angela (Rapturous Maiden) - claimed by JoFriday21
The Lady Jane (Elderly Rapturous Maiden - comic role) - claimed by Hobbit
The Lady Saphir (Rapturous Maiden) - claimed by LibbyG
The Lady Ella (Rapturous Maiden)

Angela, Ella and Saphir will also read for the female chorus, sopranos/altos, etc.
Jane is part of the female chorus in the first act only.

Please note some name pronunciations:
Reginald Bunthorne - REJ-in-awld BUN-thorn
Archibald Grosvenor - ARCH-i-bald GROVE-ner (the "s" is silent)
Saphir - SAFF-ear (like the body part)

There are quite a lot of difficult or obscure words in this play, especially in the poems. Please ask if you are unsure!

Please note that in the song labelled "Quintette" which is repeated at the end, all these words are pronounced as if they rhyme with "die" (it's a parody on a speech pattern which was popular at the time):
In that case unprecedented single I shall live and die
I shall have to be contented with their heartfelt sympa-thy
He shall have to be contented with a tulip or li-ly

LibbyG wrote:What should we do when we run into "etc"? Just say "et cetera" or read the full line(s) again?
Usually you will need to read the whole line again (it is usually a repeat of a chorus, since it was written to be sung.) What I'm going to do is to splice lines together alternately, because it won't be possible to understand if they are piled on top of each other. So when "maidens" and "dragoons" are supposed to be "singing" at the same time, I'll actually have the maidens first, then the dragoons - only three of each keeps the numbers manageable.

If it is a simple repeat (just a repeated chorus for musical reasons) then I'll cut it out, but most of the time there are slight variations in one of the parts, so it's a full repeat I'm afraid!

(If you look at the final full chorus at the end of Act 1 you'll see what I mean - the final product will sound like a poem with four verses with slight variations.)

Everyone: please follow the stage directions, so if it says "all sigh" or "all weep" please give me an appropriate sound!
Last edited by Elizabby on June 22nd, 2014, 4:18 am, edited 8 times in total.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I know the MW is not up yet but I would love to read the Duke of Dunstable. I think I can do an English aristocatic accent.
I have sung this opera and so know it well!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

May I read for the Lady Jane?
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

alanmapstone wrote:I know the MW is not up yet but I would love to read the Duke of Dunstable. I think I can do an English aristocatic accent.
I have sung this opera and so know it well!
Lovely! If you know the music, just be careful not to fall into the trap of reading too fast. Gilbert's words are the star of this production, so we want them to be clear!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hobbit wrote:May I read for the Lady Jane?
Lady Jane is hilarious! That's the other role I considered doing myself. Your claim is recorded!
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I'd love to be involved with this one. Please put me down for whatever you need!
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LibbyG wrote:I'd love to be involved with this one. Please put me down for whatever you need!
The two other girls are Ella and Saphir - the role of Saphir is significantly larger than Ella, so it depends mostly on how much time you have.

Nice wedding pics! I like the deep blue of the bridesmaids - makes a great contrast with your white! :clap:
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Elizabby wrote:
LibbyG wrote:I'd love to be involved with this one. Please put me down for whatever you need!
The two other girls are Ella and Saphir - the role of Saphir is significantly larger than Ella, so it depends mostly on how much time you have.

Nice wedding pics! I like the deep blue of the bridesmaids - makes a great contrast with your white! :clap:
I've got lots of time now, go ahead and sign me up for Saphir!
What am I up to?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LibbyG wrote: I've got lots of time now, go ahead and sign me up for Saphir!
Done! Welcome to the lovesick maidens' club! ;)

Also, are you still LibbyG or are you going to change your name? Just curious. It took me 2 years to sort out changing my name!
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Elizabby wrote:
LibbyG wrote: I've got lots of time now, go ahead and sign me up for Saphir!
Done! Welcome to the lovesick maidens' club! ;)

Also, are you still LibbyG or are you going to change your name? Just curious. It took me 2 years to sort out changing my name!
Well, eventually I'm going to become LibbyS, but that seems like it will involve boring paperwork, so I'm trying to ignore it. But don't be surprised if you hear a new voice credit!
What am I up to?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, I'll certainly regret this, but... I'll MC this.

As this is my first drama (except for a one-acter in a collection), and I want to go easy on myself, I would like to set the MW up as follows:
One line per character per act, plus one line per finished act. (Here is how it should look like: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52431). Eventually I will ask you to provide me with a character list for the summary, but that can wait until all lines are in.

I'll give you the 24 sections you have requested, if you need more, just let me know.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Availle wrote:Okay, I'll certainly regret this, but... I'll MC this.

As this is my first drama (except for a one-acter in a collection), and I want to go easy on myself, I would like to set the MW up as follows:
One line per character per act, plus one line per finished act. (Here is how it should look like: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52431). Eventually I will ask you to provide me with a character list for the summary, but that can wait until all lines are in.

I'll give you the 24 sections you have requested, if you need more, just let me know.
Aww, don't be like that! ;) I've BC'ed lots of dramas so I know what I'm doing - your part should be easy! I'll set up the MW now so you can see how it looks.

EDIT: All done! 24 sections was exactly right! :thumbs:

The character list is in the second post with their full titles. In the MW I've just used their names as they are usually used in the text. (In particular The Lieutenant the Duke of Dunstable is always called "The Duke" and never "The Lieutenant".)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Might I play Bunthorne? I had to be a Dragoon in this 45 years ago and it is time for my martial nature to give way to my inner poet!
Availle wrote:Okay, I'll certainly regret this, but... I'll MC this.

I can help if you wish. And I can use my "almost automatic cast list generator" program to give you that cast list you need later on.

Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Elizabby wrote: Aww, don't be like that! ;) I've BC'ed lots of dramas so I know what I'm doing - your part should be easy! I'll set up the MW now so you can see how it looks.
I'm just a bit scared, that's all. I know why I've been staying away from all those dramas until now. But, as you say, you are an experienced BC, so I'm going to make you do all the work :twisted:

With "cast list" I mean the complete list including links to reader's pages as it is included in the summary of a finished project, like here for example:
https://librivox.org/further-chronicles-of-avonlea-dramatic-reading-by-lucy-maud-montgomery/

I may take Todd at his word for this one though... Thanks a lot! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com