More recent Sci fi

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Robert Marquardt

Post by Robert Marquardt »

Norton currently on PG:

* The Gifts of Asti
* Key Out of Time
* Plague Ship
* Ralestone Luck
* Star Born
* Star Hunter
* The Time Traders
* Voodoo Planet

All as HTML, several with illustrations or at least a scanned cover.

ibiblio.org seems to be down. At least PG and Groklaw databases are both down. Groklaw talks about a fried RAID card.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

PaulW wrote:Piper, the Doc, and Andre Norton are my top three favorite authores (when I could read physical books), and I'm eagerly anticipating proof-listening any of their works I can find
"Storm Over Warlock" by Andre Norton is in PPV at DP so it should be in PG in a week or so.

(PPV Post Processing Verification, DP Distributed Proofing, PG Project Gutenberg)

Greg Weeks
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

PaulW wrote:It's too bad the Library of Congress NLS doesn't have much of anything Andre wrote.
If you're eligible for NLS you should be able to get Baen books webscriptions also. They have a fair amount of Andre Norton. It's not nearly as nice as a human read book, but it's at least something.

http://www.readassist.org/read/service/webscform.php

Greg Weeks
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

gweeks wrote:
PaulW wrote:It's too bad the Library of Congress NLS doesn't have much of anything Andre wrote.
If you're eligible for NLS you should be able to get Baen books webscriptions also. They have a fair amount of Andre Norton. It's not nearly as nice as a human read book, but it's at least something.

http://www.readassist.org/read/service/webscform.php

Greg Weeks
I've already been to Baen's web site and just found the announcement about the Read Assust program, and have previously gotten some of the books from their Free Library, but I haven't been able to afford the NeoSpeech or AT&T voices...most fo the rest of the free SAPI voices just aren't worth listening to unless you absolutely have to. The folks over at AI Squared are now including the NeoSpeech voices in their latest version of Zoomtext Screen Reader/Magnifier, I may go ahead and bite the bullet and upgrade.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

The Black Star Passes by John W. Campbell is at Project Gutenberg now.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20707

Greg Weeks
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Gird your loins. The Spousal Unit and I will be taking a little vacation. Upon my return on the 19th, I plan to post Plague Ship in solo's, to be be completed March 23. The following week I plan to start Oomphel in the Sky and Omnilingual, to complete on March 31. Three books in two weeks - truly March Madness. Or perhaps Spring Stupidity. Any aspiring proof listeners should be on the lookout.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

H. Beam Piper's "Space Viking" "The Cosmic Computer" and "A Slave is a Slave" posted tp PG this weekend. "The Cosmic Computer" is already done. Thanks Mark.

"Rebels of the Red Planet" by Charles L. Fontenay posted this weekend also.

Greg Weeks
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

gweeks wrote: "The Cosmic Computer" is already done.

Greg Weeks
I know. I recorded it.

My website
My Librivox reader page
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

sjmarky wrote:Gird your loins. ... Upon my return on the 19th, I plan to post Plague Ship in solo's, to be be completed March 23. The following week I plan to start Oomphel in the Sky and Omnilingual, to complete on March 31. ... Any aspiring proof listeners should be on the lookout.
:clap: I'll happily volunteer to help proof listen Plague Ship. It was the novel that got me hooked on Andre's works. Depending on how my time goes after that, I'll probably be able to hep with the other two.

Paul from Austin TX
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

PaulW wrote:
sjmarky wrote:Gird your loins. ... Upon my return on the 19th, I plan to post Plague Ship in solo's, to be be completed March 23. The following week I plan to start Oomphel in the Sky and Omnilingual, to complete on March 31. ... Any aspiring proof listeners should be on the lookout.
:clap: I'll happily volunteer to help proof listen Plague Ship. It was the novel that got me hooked on Andre's works. Depending on how my time goes after that, I'll probably be able to hep with the other two.

Paul from Austin TX
Excellent. So when I post it I'll include a note that you want to proof, and the BC should set you up.

My website
My Librivox reader page
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

Triplanetary by E.E. Doc Smith is at Project Gutenberg. This is the
original 1934 Amazing Stories publication not the later book
publication where it had been worked into the lensman series.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/0/7/8/20782/

It's permanent home will be:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20782

Greg Weeks
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I just submitted The Gifts of Asti to Short Story Collection 012.

My website
My Librivox reader page
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

sjmarky wrote:I just submitted The Gifts of Asti to Short Story Collection 012.
Cool. You've done a lot of the H. Beam Piper. Are you an Andre Norton fan also? :) Storm over Warlock just posted to PG also.

Greg Weeks
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

gweeks wrote:
sjmarky wrote:I just submitted The Gifts of Asti to Short Story Collection 012.
Cool. You've done a lot of the H. Beam Piper. Are you an Andre Norton fan also? :) Storm over Warlock just posted to PG also.

Greg Weeks
Just posted Plague Ship over in Going Solo. Will start recording as soon as I get back from vacation on the 19th.

Also looking at Voodoo Planet some time in the near future. Cripes, there's so much available all of a sudden it's a little overwhelming. I am open to any suggestions and recommendations.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Cori

Post by Cori »

I got to Plague Ship with my MC tag -- good luck with it!

I also have another of Greg's books (via DP) -- "On the Trail of the Space Pirates" by Carey Rockwell, nestling on my hard drive -- it's not at PG yet, but will be when I muster the energy to get the HTML in order (argh, illustrations!)

If you want to read that before it's PGed, just let me know, and I'll whizz on over the plain text version.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!