KJV Apocrypha

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Cantor

Post by Cantor »

I think it would be very helpful to narrate the King James Apocrypha since they are not available on audio for purchase, to my knowledge at least, and I have also been unable to find anyone working on narrating them here on librivox. A narrated copy of the KJV Apocrypha on librivox would make a fine complement to the currently available narrations of the KJV Bible on the market. Their text on gutenburg is here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/124
Domine Jesu Christe, Filii Dei, fiat nobis sicut cum te.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Keywatcher! We have some of the Apocrypha from the King James Version, and most (all? haven't checked) from the Douay-Rheims Version:
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?title=apocrypha&author=&status=all&action=Search

edited to add: In case this helps with your future searches, we list the Bible version as the author; so a search for title = Apocrypha pulls up the results I linked. If you searched "King James Apocrypha" you wouldn't get anything. And please note, the Additions to Daniel contain three of the books of the Apocrypha (you probably knew that).
Laurie Anne
Cantor

Post by Cantor »

You're right, a substantial number of the "apocrypha" have been completed in either the DRV or KJV. However, I should define more clearly what I mean. By "apocrypha" I am referring to all the deuterocanonical books of the Septuagint bible. Of the books in question, the following have been done or are being done:

Esther with additions (DRV additions fully subscribed, KJV Esther done)
Judith (DRV done)
Tobit/Tobias (DRV done)
1 Maccabees (DRV fully subscribed)
Prayer of Manasseh (KJV done)
Wisdom (DRV fully subscribed)
Baruch (DRV fully subscribed)
Daniel with additions (DRV and KJV additions done)

The following have yet to be done:

1 Esdras
2 Maccabees
3 Maccabees
Sirach/Ecclesiasticus
Letter of Jeremiah/Epistle of Jeremy
4 Maccabees

Though not really apocryphal and so outside the scope of this suggestion, the rest of Daniel besides the Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Youths, Susanna and the Elders, and Bel and the Dragon needs to be done as well. I would note here that I am interested in recording these books because I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian and would love to have a full-fledged Orthodox bible to listen to since we consider all these to be fully cononical except 4 Maccabees.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Now that's a handy list, Keywatcher! I imagine our volunteers will record them sooner or later. It would be nice to have that entire Gutenberg text done as a single project, wouldn't it, but it is very long indeed so readers might rather continue to record it book by book. (Multiple files either way. --grin--)
Keywatcher wrote:I am interested in recording these books
Or did you mean you are interested in recording this yourself? That would be great too! Just take my advice, get your feet wet with something small before you tackle a 500+ page solo. :D
Laurie Anne
Cantor

Post by Cantor »

You're right Choc in both the things you mentioned. I don't expect to solo all of this, and I do plan on getting my feet wet first. I think there are some of the Apocrypha short enough for that. I also expect that they will all be done, as you say, eventually. What I was thinking, though, was that we could just put the whole thing up right now just to have it all in one place where interested readers can pop in and help out instead of waiting for these books to meander in one by one.
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Keywatcher wrote:You're right, a substantial number of the "apocrypha" have been completed in either the DRV or KJV. However, I should define more clearly what I mean. By "apocrypha" I am referring to all the deuterocanonical books of the Septuagint bible. Of the books in question, the following have been done or are being done:

Esther with additions (DRV additions fully subscribed, KJV Esther done)
Judith (DRV done)
Tobit/Tobias (DRV done)
1 Maccabees (DRV fully subscribed)
Prayer of Manasseh (KJV done)
Wisdom (DRV fully subscribed)
Baruch (DRV fully subscribed)
Daniel with additions (DRV and KJV additions done)

The following have yet to be done:

1 Esdras
2 Maccabees
3 Maccabees
Sirach/Ecclesiasticus
Letter of Jeremiah/Epistle of Jeremy
4 Maccabees

Though not really apocryphal and so outside the scope of this suggestion, the rest of Daniel besides the Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Youths, Susanna and the Elders, and Bel and the Dragon needs to be done as well. I would note here that I am interested in recording these books because I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian and would love to have a full-fledged Orthodox bible to listen to since we consider all these to be fully cononical except 4 Maccabees.
I intend to record 1 and 2 Esdras, and 2 Macc. I am recording Sirach DRB. I have recorded the Letter of Jeremiah--it is chapter 6 of Baruch DRB. I am recording 1 and 2 Macc. at the moment. I'm having a great time--I never read the Apoc. before.

However, I can't yet find a PD version of 3-4 Macc. If you can direct me to some, I'd be glad to read them too. :-)
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

"My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalms 45:1, ASV)
Cantor

Post by Cantor »

I havn't been able to find any PD verisons of 3 and 4 Maccabees either. I did find the other projects you mentioned. In fact, I proof-listened what you've done with 1 Maccabees. I'm glad to know that you plan to record 1 and 2 Esdras and 2 Maccabees. I'd be glad to help prooflisten them as well. :)
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Keywatcher wrote:I havn't been able to find any PD verisons of 3 and 4 Maccabees either. I did find the other projects you mentioned. In fact, I proof-listened what you've done with 1 Maccabees. I'm glad to know that you plan to record 1 and 2 Esdras and 2 Maccabees. I'd be glad to help prooflisten them as well. :)
I'm glad to take you up on your offer. :-)

Sam
Samuel Stinson

"And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ASV)

Cantor

Post by Cantor »

I've struck the motherload: the entire open source text for Sir Lancelot Brenton's translation of the Septuagint Old Testament which includes, among other things, third and fourth Maccabees. Here it is: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/brenton/lxx2/files/home.html
stinssd

Post by stinssd »

Keywatcher wrote:I've struck the motherload: the entire open source text for Sir Lancelot Brenton's translation of the Septuagint Old Testament which includes, among other things, third and fourth Maccabees. Here it is: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/brenton/lxx2/files/home.html
This is a good find. It may be some time before all the books are completed, however. I hope soon! :)
Samuel Stinson

sammson

Post by sammson »

I know this is a really old thread but I would love to help out with reading any of the unrecorded Apocryphal books. I'm not familiar with them and would love to learn more about them by reading them for LibriVox.

Also, Sam, I really enjoyed your 1 Maccabees reading. (Listening to it again now, in fact!) :)
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

EDIT: Updated on 20 May 2021. (Updated links to King James Bible Clarified New Testament and New Heart English Bible.)

This is what I have found on the internet so far:

Public domain bible versions and links (not all versions contain the Apocrypha books)
American King James Version
American Standard Version [SEARCH]
American Standard Version
Biblia del Oso (1569) (Spanish)
Biblia Sacra Vulgata (Latin Vulgate) (Latin)
Brenton Septuagint
Catholic Public Domain Version
Chinese Union Bible, Simplified Script (Chinese)
Chinese Union Bible, Traditional Script (Chinese)
Darby Translation [SEARCH]
Darby Translation (French)
Douay Rheims
Douay Rheims 1899 American Edition
Ferrar Fenton Translation [SEARCH]
Inspired Version (aka Joseph Smith Translation)
Jakub Wujek Bible (1593 new testament) (Polish)
Jakub Wujek Bible (1599 whole bible) (Polish)
João Ferreira de Almeida Atualizada (Portuguese)
João Ferreira de Almeida Atualizada (Portuguese)
King James Bible Clarified New Testament
King James Version [SEARCH]
Louis Segond (1910) (French) [SEARCH]
Louis Segond (1910) (French) [SEARCH]
Luther Bibel (1545) (German)
Luther Bibel (1545) (German)
Luther Bibel (1912) (German)
New Heart English Bible
Open English Bible
Reina-Valera New Testament 1862 (Spanish)
Reina-Valera 1865 (Spanish)
Reina-Valera Antigua (1909) (Spanish) [SEARCH]
Reina-Valera 1909 (Spanish) [SEARCH]
Revised Version (1895)
Russian Synodal Bible (Church Slavic)
Russian Synodal Bible (Church Slavic)
A Sancta Biblia (translated by António Pereira de Figueiredo in 1821) (Portuguese)
Twentieth Century New Testament [ADAPTED]
Updated King James Version
Updated King James Version
Weymouth New Testament [SEARCH]
World English Bible [SEARCH]
World English Bible: British Edition
World Messianic Bible
World Messianic Bible: British Edition
Wycliffe Bible
Wycliffe Bible
Young's Literal Translation [SEARCH]

Books in the Apocrypha, and which of them appear in the above-mentioned versions
CPDV: Catholic Public Domain Version
DRA: Douay Rheims 1899 American Edition
KJV: King James Version
LV: Biblia Sacra Vulgata (Latin Vulgate)
LXX: Brenton Septuagint
RV: Revised Version
WEB: "World English Bible", and "World English Bible British Edition"

Tobit/Tobias CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
Judith CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
Esther (Greek) CPDV; DRA; KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
Wisdom CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
Sirach/Ecclesiasticus CPDV; DRA; KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
Baruch CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
Letter of Jeremiah/Epistle of Jeremy KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
Daniel with additions (The Prayer of Azariah, Susanna, and Bel and the Dragon) CPDV; KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
1 Maccabees CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
2 Maccabees CPDV; DRA; KJV; LV; LXX; RV; WEB
1 Esdras KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
Prayer of Manasseh/Prayer of Manasses KJV; LXX; RV; WEB
2 Esdras KJV; RV; WEB
3 Maccabees LXX; WEB
4 Maccabees LXX; WEB
Psalm 151 LXX; WEB
Last edited by glennobrien on May 20th, 2021, 5:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

stinssd wrote:
Keywatcher wrote:I haven't been able to find any PD verisons of 3 and 4 Maccabees either. I did find the other projects you mentioned. In fact, I proof-listened what you've done with 1 Maccabees. I'm glad to know that you plan to record 1 and 2 Esdras and 2 Maccabees. I'd be glad to help prooflisten them as well. :)
I'm glad to take you up on your offer. :-)

Sam
The Brenton Septuagint and World English Bible are in the public domain and contain 3 and 4 Maccabees.
glennobrien

Post by glennobrien »

The Book of Tobit from the KJV is now completed: http://librivox.org/book-of-tobit-king-james-version/