Podcasts: call for contributions

Non-reading activities need your help too!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

ETA:

LibriVox 9th Anniversary podcast call for contributions here.

First World War Centenary podcast call for contributions here.

The time has come to start thinking about a 9th Anniversary podcast. I am willing to host it, but currently am a little devoid of ideas. In the past I have revisited the history and development of LibriVox, but this can get a bit repetitive. I'd like it to be a little different this time.

So, ideas, please!

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

Maybe a People theme for part of it? I'm thinking that I know we've had LibriBabies, GrandLibriBabies, house moves (perhaps with woes or wins about the recording setup before and after), some people have changed jobs (a few based in part on their LibriContributions) ... left school, left college, and so on. Tell Us About Your Last 9 Years (in 2 mins or less) could be fun.

And/or maybe some questions that people could record answers to as they liked. I'd suggest not doing all of them! But choosing one or two and developing the answers a little. (2 mins or less again, I think it'd be possible to make a full-length podcast out of any one of these, but brevity is the soul of something or other. :P Keeping the audience listening perhaps.)

* How do you introduce LibriVox when you talk about it with new people?

* Which LV books do you try to make friends or family listen to? Or find yourself recommending over and over?

* What do you think LibriVox will be like in another 9 years? We might have 15-20,000 books complete. :shock:

* Why do you think LibriVoxing is so addictive? (Or, if you can take or leave it personally, why do you think other people are hooked on it? Be nice though. :mrgreen: )
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I'm please to hear that you're (Ruth) willing to do a podcast. I know you've already got a full plate and then some, so appreciate your efforts.

Perhaps there could be some comments about some of the projects in LibriVox that have "surprised" readers, listeners, etc. When I began volunteering, I expected to just PL or record things that I was specifically interested in. I've done that, but have also helped with projects that I never would have considered on my own. For instance, the variety of subjects with a "9" or "nine" in the title for the 9th anniversary project is quite amazing - at least to me. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ah, some excellent ideas! Thank you Cori and Mary. I will have a little think over the weekend and amend my top post to a proper request for contributions, and we'll get this show on the road.

Ruth
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We most certainly need a "Librivox 9th anniversary song".
Maybe something easier to sing than last year... :oops:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hah! Well, now you say that, I remember that Vandermast wrote some rather good words last year for the 9th anniversary. Whether or not it will be easier to sing than last year's is a moot point... it is set to the music of Danny Boy (the Londonderry Air). I will try and get the music transcribed soon.

Oops thunder, got to go.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The only thing with Danny Boy is that it is the very devil to sing - very low to very high, and a top note that can be pulverising if you get it wrong. However, as with previous years, I will join lots of voices together, and as everyone should be able to sing at least some of it in one octave or another, I should be able to stitch together the good bits, and consign the ... um... slightly idiosyncratic bits to the cutting room floor without causing any offence ;).

Ruth
J_N

Post by J_N »

Danny boy is such a lovely melody... but OMG so hard to sing... I'd be happy to try, though :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You are right, Julia. It is very hard. I have transposed it into D major, and still cannot sing the whole thing without jumping around the octaves - singing one bit at the right pitch and another bit an octave lower. In D, the range is from the B below middle C to the second F above middle C :? .

Not sure what to do. Perhaps we'll have to have two 9th anniversary songs :lol:.

Ruth
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

RuthieG wrote:Not sure what to do. Perhaps we'll have to have two 9th anniversary songs :lol:.
we could rap it! not much trouble with a melody then :lol:
Carolin
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Re: the Song --
The accompanist at my church always transposes the hymns into keys that are easier for the congregation to sing. We have one hymn that's set to the tune of Londonderry Air -- and she always plays that one in A-flat, which has proven fairly easily singable for most people.

Re: Ideas for the Podcast --
What about some discussion of where we find our materials to record? Some of us browse PG and Archive with nothing particular in mind, some search for particular works they want to record, some have old books at home that they can't find online versions of, and so forth. Some LV-ers might have some unusual or interesting things to say on that subject. (And might give the rest of us some ideas we haven't thought of!)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh, so many good ideas for the podcast! I still haven't had time to think it out, been a busy day, and busier tomorrow. But hopefully I should get something posted by Tuesday.

Re Danny Boy, A flat would be perfect for me as it only goes up to the C above middle C, but it goes down to the F below middle C, which may be a struggle for the sopranos. I think I shall have to upload versions in a couple of keys and see what the majority of singers want. Again, that will be a couple of days. Or maybe find a 4 part harmony version somewhere - there must be one.

Ruth
AuraFedora

Post by AuraFedora »

These are some great ideas. I think focusing on the human interest aspect of such a community is always a great place to start. As was mentioned, you can only rehash the history of something so many times.
It would be great to hear a story or some stories from librivox listeners about how having access to these materials for free may have made a difference in their lives in some way. Maybe someone who went from listener to volunteer, someone who used it to help them learn a new language, find a new interest or job, or just have an outlet when resources were limited for them.
"I dwell in possibility; a fairer house than prose." - Emily Dickinson

Follow my Adventures in Storytelling & Sound http://aurafedora.tumblr.com
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, everyone!

I'm going for "LibriVox People" with suggestions of what people may like to talk about in their 2 minutes, choices such as:
  • Tell us about your last nine years!
  • How do you introduce LibriVox when you talk about it with people in real life?
  • Which LibriVox books do you recommend to new listeners, and why?
  • How do you decide what to record? Where do you look?
  • What do you plan to do at LibriVox in the next 9 years?
I will be posting in News and Suggestions later.

I will also be doing another flash podcast before the 9th Anniversary one. Details coming very shortly.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

LIbriVox 9th Anniversary podcast call for contributions here.

First World War Centenary podcast call for contributions here.

Ruth