COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri-leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-divine-comedy-version-2-dramatic-reading-by-dante-alighieri/

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (1265 - 1321). Translated by Courtney Langdon (1861 - 1924)

NOTE: This project is part of Dante at 750: An Audio Collection, which aims to get the complete works of Dante into the catalog by the end of 2015. For more information and updates on the other projects involved, check out the blog: http://danteat750audio.wordpress.com/
or this forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51650
The Divine Comedy (Italian: Divina Commedia) is an epic poem written by Dante Alighieri between c. 1308 and his death in 1321. It is widely considered the preeminent work of Italian literature, and is seen as one of the greatest works of world literature. The poem's imaginative and allegorical vision of the afterlife is representative of the medieval world-view as it had developed in the Western Church by the 14th century. It helped establish the Tuscan dialect, in which it is written, as the standardized Italian language. It is divided into three parts: Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso. The poem is written in the first person, and tells of Dante's journey through the three realms of the dead, lasting from the night before Good Friday to the Wednesday after Easter in the spring of 1300. The Roman poet Virgil guides him through Hell and Purgatory; Beatrice, Dante's ideal woman, guides him through Heaven. (Adapted from Wikipedia by HoosierMary)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline. The roles of Dante, Virgil, and Beatrice are exceptions to the 2-month rule, since these parts are likely to take more time.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/alighieri-the-divine-comedy-in-3-vols-langdon-trans
      The google docs containing the prepped text can be found here:
      https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0RChmc5lhCQSXNLR2FXR1Q4TFE&usp=sharing
      OR linked in the MW (scroll all the way down to the editor's sections).
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per canto.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Canto [#] of The Divine Comedy, by Dante Alighieri. Translated by Courtney Langdon. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Canto [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      divinecomedy_[role]_[###].mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number in the google doc for that canto.
      Please note that section number is not necessarily canto number, as it refers to the WHOLE Comedy. For instance, Inf 34 is section 034, but Purg 1 is section 035, and NOT 001. If you're not sure what the section number is for your canto, check the google doc. Because there are 100 sections, please remember to use three digits.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Casting is gender neutral. Claiming multiple roles is allowed and encouraged, as long as they do not overlap or fall very close together (one in the canto immediately before or after the other). Exceptions to this made for singing parts, very small roles, and readers willing and able to do different voices.

There is a pronunciation guide! Please use it! Make sure you know how to pronounce your character's name and any others that you need to say. Feel free to ask Mary (HoosierMary) for help. Please find below a link to the list of words and names included (it's a long one, so they're in alphabetical order):
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YKyM4nv-vPu21638nJ8AdZnN31DdKLjIJTKmXBWjdFI/edit?usp=sharing

And the guide itself:
      https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/divinecomedy_alighieri_pronunciationguide.mp3

If you are interested in one of the roles that involves singing, you may choose an appropriate public domain tune, or ask me to find one. The "singing souls" and "singing angels" could easily be one person recording his/her voice several times, and in fact that would probably be easiest.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by HoosierMary on June 22nd, 2015, 6:29 am, edited 14 times in total.
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

The following people have already volunteered for the following roles:

Dante: unreadpages
Virgil: Martin Geeson
Beatrice: HoosierMary
narrator (intros/outros only): HoosierMary
Statius: Leni
PLing (parts) and editing: wib66
EDIT: Since Michele (wib66) is editing, I will PL finished sections. (MIchele is still DPL for parts.)

Leni, a bit of info regarding the MW: 101 is the number of sections in the finished work (1 for a dramatis personae and 100 cantos). I estimate that the total number of sections in the MW, if we use Todd's 1-section-per-recording method will be 634. We'll be pushing it, I know. :)
Last edited by HoosierMary on May 29th, 2014, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mary

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Oh, and if you want to browse available roles before I get the MW set up (I hope soon), you can check out this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u81nMjQhsakvCcsKoLqZEtw3bnnfQMSZufnFzfVLTS8/edit?usp=sharing
Mary

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Just got a message from someone wanting to claim Count Ugolino, pending 1 minute test. Consider this role reserved.
Mary

JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I'll read Francesca!
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

JoFriday21 wrote:I'll read Francesca!
Excellent choice. :) I'll note that on the spreadsheet, and assign it officially once we have an MW. Thanks for claiming.

EDIT: Here's the prepped text for that canto, in case you want to look at it now. All of these will be linked in the MW.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1neEjoj3Dr-UBrXdwLg10d4Z0DBYiBkiKOpi9fE2V7Ok/edit?usp=sharing
Mary

wib66

Post by wib66 »

Signing on as Editor and PL er of parts thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

wib66 wrote:Signing on as Editor and PL er of parts thanks
:thumbs: Glad to have you on board, Michele!
Mary

Shakira

Post by Shakira »

I would gladly take on one or more of the singing roles - Matelda, the Singing Souls, the Angel of Purity, etc - as things come together. I'm no stranger to multitrack vocal layering, nor to singing in harmony with myself. ;)
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Shakira wrote:I would gladly take on one or more of the singing roles - Matelda, the Singing Souls, the Angel of Purity, etc - as things come together. I'm no stranger to multitrack vocal layering, nor to singing in harmony with myself. ;)
Yay, that's awesome. :)

Just tell me which ones you want. You can take as many as you'd like as long as they aren't in the same canto (unless you think you can make them sound different enough to avoid confusion).
Mary

Shakira

Post by Shakira »

In that case, put me down for:

- The Angel of Purity (Purg 27)
- Matelda (Purg 28-29, 31-33)
- Singing Angels (Purg 30)
- Singing Souls (Purg 2, 12, 15, 23, 25, Par 8, 23-27)

Unless I've missed something, there are no overlaps there. :thumbs:

I'm assuming, after a quick glance through the text, that most of these (barring Matelda) are small parts. However, I'm happy to not hog so many singing bits if there are other who want some! :wink:
Shakira S. - Verbose, vivacious, versatile vocalist.
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs
LV Reader Page

My health is utterly pants, but I'm getting things done.

https://soundcloud.com/shakira-s/
https://soundcloud.com/shakira-speaks/
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Shakira wrote:In that case, put me down for:

- The Angel of Purity (Purg 27)
- Matelda (Purg 28-29, 31-33)
- Singing Angels (Purg 30)
- Singing Souls (Purg 2, 12, 15, 23, 25, Par 8, 23-27)

Unless I've missed something, there are no overlaps there. :thumbs:

I'm assuming, after a quick glance through the text, that most of these (barring Matelda) are small parts. However, I'm happy to not hog so many singing bits if there are other who want some! :wink:
Sounds good! Matelda does quite a bit of speaking and only a little singing, but the others are mostly sung one-liners. I used "singing souls" to indicate pretty much anywhere there was a group of souls singing, thinking it will be fine if they're the same voices. Are you ok finding PD tunes?
Mary

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

The monster has been unleashed!

I mean, the MW is in place. Let the fun begin! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Thanks, Leni! That description seems rather apt. :) General note about claiming parts (which I will add to the first post): Claiming multiple roles is great and encouraged, but please try not to claim roles that overlap (in the same canto) or that are too close together (in the canto right before/after each other). I'm making an exception to the latter rule for the singing parts because, well, I'm just glad someone wants to do them. :)
Mary

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Alright, guys, a pitifully small portion of the MW is done, and real life calls me away for the evening. Will finish it either later tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, claim away!
Mary