Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lgreene1

Post by lgreene1 »

robarb

Post by robarb »

I would like to do Section 21.

This will be my first recording -- I would like to be credited as Lucas Chang in the catalog.

-Lucas
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Lucas! You're in for 21. It's somewhat long; it'll probably be about 35-40 minutes of finished recording. That's just a forewarning. ;)

Please read the one footnote mentioned in the Magic Window - footnote 62. The usual way to do this is where the notation is, say "Footnote," read the note, then say "end of footnote." Then continue with the rest of the text.

Post if you have any questions. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 9 - PL OK!
robarb

Post by robarb »

What is the convention for reading a quotation? For example, in the following, do I say "quote... end quote" ?

General Sumner testifies as follows: "General Hooker's corps... thrown into the confusion." The testimony...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For long quotes, I'd do that, sure. For just "a few words," used "in such a way as this," I wouldn't bother, unless it seems really important that the listener know that those 3 or 6 words are a quote. :)
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

Here is section 30: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/riseandfall2_30_davis.mp3

Size: 28.3 MB
Duration: 30:55

Thanks,

Dan
ON THE NATURE OF THINGS is complete.:)
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you!
kdstephens

Post by kdstephens »

Hi there! I would like to take Section 18 Part 4, Chapter 32 if I may. The Civil War was my favorite war to study. To this day, I still study it even though I've graduated high school. It is so fascinating to me. I have my 2nd test for my recording done if you need to look at it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll pencil you in!

How would you like to be credited in the catalog? There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname or forum name, some their real name) and a personal web site or blog, if you have one. CLICK HERE for an example of what I'm talking about. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 30 - PL OK! You seem pretty passionate about your topic. :P
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

TriciaG wrote:Section 30 - PL OK! You seem pretty passionate about your topic. :P
I was hoping it would come across that way! :wink:

Personally, I think that this chapter holds some of the greatest examples of unintended irony that I've ever read. :shock: But, given it's historical significance (a chance to directly get inside the head of the leader of the Confederacy), it seems important to approach it from his point of view (which obviously was very passionate) -- even (and especially) in those sections in which you are vigorously saying to yourself, "I can't believe this guy is actually saying this!". :roll:

In fact, I feel my next blog entry coming on: "The Challenge of Giving Voice to Ideas with Which You Vehemently Disagree."
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha ha! I agree. There are some things he says which I think are very much right - the government is by the will of the people, etc. - but then he talks about the government taking away their property (slaves), and I think, "Those are PEOPLE!!" :roll:

Nowadays we cannot imagine the federal government having as little power as Davis says it should.
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

TriciaG wrote:Nowadays we cannot imagine the federal government having as little power as Davis says it should.
Yep -- Davis seems to actually be hearkening back to the Articles of Confederation when he speaks of the U.S. Constitution. Indeed, if the Constitution had never been written, and the only thing loosely binding the states together was the Articles of Confederation, then all of Davis's constitutional rhetoric might have some validity.

But for every logically questionable idea he pens regarding federalism and states' rights, he writes many genuinely reprehensible ideas, such as when he obliquely refers to slavery as a "wise and useful institution"!

Now, if this book were the work of some third-tier Klansman with a loose grasp on reality, I don't think I would have taken part in this LV project. But since it's the work of the former President of the Confederacy, it makes it very worthwhile -- bringing history potently to life. Thanks for MC-ing this one, Tricia!
---