COMPLETE - American Indian Fairy Tales - CL/kr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kayray

Post by kayray »

Well, here's the catalog page -- I know the proofing isn't done yet, but since I forgot and uploaded everything anyway, I went ahead with the catalog page :) Don't worry, though, if you find any errors that REALLY need to be fixed, we can still replace files. I won't make the catalog page public until I hear back about how the proof-listening went.

http://librivox.org/american-indian-fairy-tales-by-william-trowbridge-larned/

Chip, want to check that page for errors? I couldn't find a wikipedia url for the poor author.

Thanks!

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
AiYume

Post by AiYume »

I finished proofing this morning on my way to work. I consider it ready to go. Excellent job, Chip.

I also took a stab at correcting the two minor glitches I found in file 6. I added "b" after the file name so it wouldn't collide with the original. If you want to d/l the file from http://we-live.to/read/aloud/american_indian_fairy_tales_06b.mp3 and check it out the time points in question (about 1:30 and 11:10 as mentioned in a prior message) for approval and then submit it for reposting, that would be great. Let me know when you're done with it so I can take it down.

I added the end of a different "moons" and a little bit of silence to the first glitch. I can tell its there because I remember the original, but hopefully it sounds better. And the loud "unless" I leveled pretty much as I suggested earlier.

I guess this puts me firmly in the "Hey. He can do sound editing!" category. :)

Glad to be of help, and hopefully I'm not being too nit-picky.

AiYume
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Kara, though I can't fine anything in Wikipedia for WT Larned either, the stories were collected by Henry R Schoolcraft, who does have a Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Schoolcraft

Perhaps we could say "Collected by Henry R. Schoolcraft and retold by WT Larned" which is actually the phrase I use at the beginning of each chapter.

Thanks to AiYume for both the prooflistening and for the digital editing. I'm not going to be able to listen to it until I get back to the high speed line at work, so I'll leave it in your hands Kara. If you think it's an improvement, then by all means use AiYume's version!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ok, I've finally had a chance to listen to both versions of ch. 6. That was some FANCY editing, AiYume! Wow, I never would have known there was ever a problem.

Now, here's the thing. Those were very very minor errors. Ordinarily, I'd just let the file go as-is... but you fixed it up so slick that I can't resist trying to get the improved version uploaded :)

Cross your fingers and hope that archive.org doesn't break...

kara
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Well my fingers are crossed! Toes too!

While I understand that some errors can't be helped, I really appreciate anyone who makes the effort to get these things as perfect as possible. Thanks, AiYume!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ok, I think all went well! The catalog page is "live" :)

http://librivox.org/american-indian-fairy-tales-by-william-trowbridge-larned/

Thanks, Chip and AiYume!
Kara
--------
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Oooo, goody! Even my Cherokee dad who hates to read is excited about getting this on his iPod. Going to download.....
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
suburbanbanshee

Post by suburbanbanshee »

Oh, interesting!

I should note that, recently, scholars have noticed that some of Schoolcraft's informants were trying to make points as well as tell a story. (The versions of Shawnee stories told by Tecumseh's brother The Prophet are particularly interesting.) It's not known how much of this went over Schoolcraft's head, or if he just didn't care to incorporate political points and his understanding of them into his work on stories.
suburbanbanshee

Ch. 1 has BIG problems. (I got them off the catalog page.)

The 64K file breaks off at "robin" at about 2:08.

We start again at "all his life long". We then get about four words past "robin" and end in mid-sentence at 3:31.

The 128K file repeats "all his life long" about four or five times, also ends in mid-sentence, and is 5:34 long!

What the heck's going on??
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

I just checked, and get the same problems on the 128. Didn't check the 64 yet.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

LibraryLady wrote:Oooo, goody! Even my Cherokee dad who hates to read is excited about getting this on his iPod. Going to download.....
This is very cool - you'll have to come back and tell us what he thought of them! I'd really like to get the opinion of someone with closer ties to the work than a whitebread computer geek reading his long-dead uncle's old book.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

suburbanbanshee wrote:Ch. 1 has BIG problems. (I got them off the catalog page.)

The 64K file breaks off at "robin" at about 2:08.

We start again at "all his life long". We then get about four words past "robin" and end in mid-sentence at 3:31.

The 128K file repeats "all his life long" about four or five times, also ends in mid-sentence, and is 5:34 long!

What the heck's going on??
Ouch! I've got the original and it doesn't have those issues. I'll happily re-upload it, but let's see if Kayray's local copy has the same problem, or if the problem is with the validator or somesuch. Thanks for the heads-up!

Incidentally, thanks too for the background on Schoolcraft. Until your note, I had assumed that Tenskwatawa was a fictional character created by Orson Scott Card. Now I've got more research to do that I don't have time for... ;)
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
suburbanbanshee

Both the 64K and 128K versions of Ch. 3 end in mid-sentence at 8:48.

Chs. 2 and 4 seem perfectly perfect. (And very listenable, too!)
Last edited by suburbanbanshee on February 1st, 2006, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

It strikes me that something happened during the final upload. It's unlikely that both AiYume and I would have missed such egregious errors. The originals are all still on my site, so they can be nabbed conveniently if Kayray doesn't already have them.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

I have no files locally anymore :(

Do send me everything that needs to be fixed.

Can we get a listen through the entire book (AGAIN) so we can get everything fixed all at once? (the more often we re-derive the files on archive.org, the more likely they are to become corrupted)

*gnashes teeth*

This means our torrents are out there in internetland with bad files in them and there's nothing we can do about it.

Oh, well, we'll just do our best to get them fixed up in the catalog.

thanks, everyone.

Kara
Kara
--------