(Complete) Ring for Nancy: A Sheer Comedy by Ford Madox Ford - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Hello!

Might I claim Part 1 Chapter 3?

Also, how are we pronouncing "Basildon" (p 63), so I can keep it consistent? Long A as in "way" or short A as in "bat" are the two pronunciations that come to mind.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:19 pm Hello!

Also, how are we pronouncing "Basildon" (p 63), so I can keep it consistent? Long A as in "way" or short A as in "bat" are the two pronunciations that come to mind.
Jumping in here…
Also, how are we pronouncing "Basildon
Basildon is an actual place in Essex, England (just north of London). It is pronounced Baz-il-dun 8-)
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:19 pm Hello!

Certainly! Welcome (back) to LV, and thank you for claiming! :) Let me know if you have questions about anything.

Looks like Lynne's got your Basildon question covered, but thanks for checking about that!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Lynne!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Lynnet wrote: August 7th, 2022, 2:48 pm Basildon is an actual place in Essex, England (just north of London). It is pronounced Baz-il-dun 8-)
Thank you! I appreciate the confirmation!

(Since this post, I found the Pronunciations megathread and the recommendation of Dictionary.com for place names and other proper names - super helpful!)
Scarbo wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:12 pmCertainly! Welcome (back) to LV, and thank you for claiming! :) Let me know if you have questions about anything.
And thank you too! Glad to be back, and looking forward to reading!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Section 3 (Part 1, Chapter 3) - 52:13
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ringfornancy_03_ford_128kb.mp3

Would love to continue - do I need to wait for this section to clear PL before requesting to claim others? If not, I'd like to claim Part 1, Chapters 6-8, and plan to upload those next week.
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: August 8th, 2022, 12:32 am Section 3 (Part 1, Chapter 3) - 52:13

Would love to continue - do I need to wait for this section to clear PL before requesting to claim others? If not, I'd like to claim Part 1, Chapters 6-8, and plan to upload those next week.
Thank you for section 3! Since this one's pretty long, it may take me a few days to PL, but I'll aim to have it done as soon as I can.

In the meantime, you're welcome to claim additional chapters. 6-8 are all yours - thank you for claiming, and no rush!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thanks, Scarbo, and no hurry!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Er, turns out I have a question, this being my first time submitting a section. Or just seeking clarification so that I get it right the first time...

About making requested edits: the Newbie Guide says to edit the recording and resubmit the new version. That sounds like the process is to make changes to the original raw recording (delete out whatever needs deleting, paste in replacement recordings of whatever needs re-recording), then process and upload again under the same name, just as though I were uploading for the first time. Is that correct?

I got nervous about my understanding of the process after watching one of Adrian Stephens' wonderful videos, specifically the one on Editing Marked Speech, where it looks like he's responding to a requested edit by recording an entirely new file, rather than a track in the original file.

Thanks again!
Say hi on Mastodon!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MC jumping in here… you do not have to re-record the whole file! I think in 10 years I have asked one person to re-record!
Just delete any repeats, stutters etc. and patch in any new sections. We do recommend re-recording a sentence or even paragraph rather than just one or two words. It just sounds more natural.
Of course, if there are technical issues, you need to address them.
I recommend saving the raw file and edited file separately ( I label mine, for example, _01_ and _01edited_ )
When you reupload, use the same file name unless you have been told otherwise.
Then post in the thread that you have reuploaded 8-)
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: August 8th, 2022, 12:32 am Section 3 (Part 1, Chapter 3) - 52:13

Thanks again for this chapter! It sounds great, and I enjoyed your expressive style. I have just a few notes:

- At 5:30, after "'the sort of cigars the major will like?'" could you include the line "'Well, you can never be quite certain what a gentleman will like, ma'am,' Miss Jenkins answered"? (p. 66-67)
- At 27:13, "the major said amiably," could you pronounce the "ami-" in "amiably" like the name Amy? (p. 85)
- At 46:40, "as if she'd been a balloon," you say "as if she'd been on a balloon" (p. 101)

I'll add to Lynne's comment above (thanks, Lynne!) that redoing just the phrase or sentence noted instead of re-recording the entire chapter makes it easier for PLers as well, since they'll just need to do spot-checks for the edited file instead of PLing the entire recording again! :lol:

Sarah
penelopepresents

Post by penelopepresents »

Section 1, Chapter 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ringfornancy_01_ford_128kb.mp3
Duration: 21m20sec

Also, I would like to narrate Part 2, chapters 1 & 2, please! :D
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

penelopepresents wrote: August 9th, 2022, 2:58 pm Section 1, Chapter 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ringfornancy_01_ford_128kb.mp3

Thank you for section 1! It will be tomorrow before I'll be able to finish PLing it, but in the meantime, Part 2, chapters 1 and 2 are all yours. Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
penelopepresents

Post by penelopepresents »

Scarbo wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:14 pm
penelopepresents wrote: August 9th, 2022, 2:58 pm Section 1, Chapter 1 https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ringfornancy_01_ford_128kb.mp3

Thank you for section 1! It will be tomorrow before I'll be able to finish PLing it, but in the meantime, Part 2, chapters 1 and 2 are all yours. Thank you for claiming!
Thanks! :D
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Lynnet wrote: August 8th, 2022, 9:04 pm MC jumping in here… you do not have to re-record the whole file! I think in 10 years I have asked one person to re-record!
Just delete any repeats, stutters etc. and patch in any new sections. We do recommend re-recording a sentence or even paragraph rather than just one or two words. It just sounds more natural.
Of course, if there are technical issues, you need to address them.
Thank you! This is very clear. Between the video I watched and the Newbie Guide's mantra of "Don't stop for anything!!!" I did wonder a little!
I recommend saving the raw file and edited file separately ( I label mine, for example, _01_ and _01edited_ )
Oh, good call! I thankfully knew enough to save the raw recording before processing (duplicated the track and did noise reduction etc. only on the duplicate) but I hadn't thought to save a copy before edits too. Will do!
Scarbo wrote: August 9th, 2022, 2:46 pm Thanks again for this chapter! It sounds great, and I enjoyed your expressive style. I have just a few notes: [...]
Thank you for the kind words and your keen ear! I'm a little embarrassed about the omission at 5:30 - I guess my eye must have skipped a line. Anyways, I've got a few minutes to see to these corrections now, so I should be able to upload the new file shortly.
I'll add to Lynne's comment above (thanks, Lynne!) that redoing just the phrase or sentence noted instead of re-recording the entire chapter makes it easier for PLers as well, since they'll just need to do spot-checks for the edited file instead of PLing the entire recording again! :lol:
That makes ALL the sense!
Say hi on Mastodon!