COMPLETE National Geographic Magazine Vol. 10 - September 1899 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Larry and Betty!

Sections 2 and 11 are PL OK!

I seem to be giving you a lot of trouble with section 12, Betty :oops: Your runtime of 25.3 doesn't match the uploaded file 24:30 which recording is missing the paragraph on page 354. I am going to mark it PL OK regardless so as not to trouble you any more with this, unless you already have a recording which includes it and has the 25.3 runtime?

It sounded like a new recording, different from the first one, so I wanted to mention that in cases where you need to re-record the whole section because your original recording was lost/deleted from the computer, you can always download the one in the Magic Window to use for editing.
mungojerry311

Post by mungojerry311 »

Section 3 (West Indian Hurricane) now ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_09_03_128kb.mp3 10:14

Keep in mind that at the time this was written, no one knew what a hurricane actually looked like. It wasn't until the advent of satellite technology that people got their first look at a hurricane from above. It's interesting to see how hurricanes were tracked before satellites were invented.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

That's true! Thank you for Section 3, Mark! PL OK!
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

The runtime on the re-submitted file should read 24.29 according to Checker. I must have mis-copied it from my notes.

Betty
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

24:29 makes more sense! Thank you, Betty! :thumbs:
amulli09

Post by amulli09 »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 18th, 2022, 12:16 pm Thank you, Ahana! I've signed you up. It sounds like an interesting section! Let's see :D
Hey there- please find my recording. Most of it was greek to me but seems some exciting new research was about to be revealed at a later day. :)

Link to recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_09_05_128kb.mp3
Duration: 11:12

Let me know if ok? Thanks!

Ahana
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Perfect! Thank you Ahana! :clap: There's just one short cough sound at around 3:57 in case you'd like to edit it out. It's quite discreet so up to you :)
amulli09

Post by amulli09 »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm Perfect! Thank you Ahana! :clap: There's just one short cough sound at around 3:57 in case you'd like to edit it out. It's quite discreet so up to you :)
Ohh- i have never edited before (still newbie at LV- not because im perfect lol!) so can you let me know steps please . If i feel i may risk ruining it, with your permission, I will probably pass :0
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Give this a try and if it doesn't work, we can pass.

Open your file in Audacity, select the bit around 3:57, by highlighting with your mouse; let's say a bit before the 4 minute mark and a bit after it, then zoom in from menu View-> Zoom to Selection, so you can see the waveform clearer. Give it a listen to locate the cough sound (zoom in closer if needed) then select just the cough sound (highlight with your mouse), and you can delete it by pressing the delete key on your keyboard. Then it's ready to re-export and upload again.

Let me know if that covers it, or if anything is unclear, or if we just pass :)
amulli09

Post by amulli09 »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 8th, 2022, 4:57 am Give this a try and if it doesn't work, we can pass.

Open your file in Audacity, select the bit around 3:57, by highlighting with your mouse; let's say a bit before the 4 minute mark and a bit after it, then zoom in from menu View-> Zoom to Selection, so you can see the waveform clearer. Give it a listen to locate the cough sound (zoom in closer if needed) then select just the cough sound (highlight with your mouse), and you can delete it by pressing the delete key on your keyboard. Then it's ready to re-export and upload again.

Let me know if that covers it, or if anything is unclear, or if we just pass :)
Thanks for the detailed, helpful suggestions. Gave it a shot- fingers crossed! :?
Re uploaded file with same name: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_09_05_128kb.mp3
New duration: 11:11
Let me know!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Excellent! :thumbs: Thank you, Ahana.
amulli09

Post by amulli09 »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 8th, 2022, 9:02 am Excellent! :thumbs: Thank you, Ahana.
Yay! Thanks for the encouragement and coaching- thanks to you learnt a new skill. Hope to collaborate again soon!
Pcolyar

Post by Pcolyar »

Hi Repunzelina!
I apologize for not posting this earlier but I have been rather busy. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew choosing a longer recording like and so I don't think I have time to do this recording. Again, sorry for not posting this earlier. I hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience.
Thanks,
Parker
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Parker! That's understandable, and thank you for posting. Don't let the long articles in the national geographic scare you away from recording; browse the rest of the projects in the forum for something short and sweet! :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here is section 1, at 30:41, and with more numbers than I had bargained for. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm10_09_01_128kb.mp3
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com