[COMPLETE][EDUCATION]Improvement of the Mind by Isaac Watts and Stephen Norris Fellows - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Improvement of the Mind, by Isaac Watts (1674 - 1748) and Stephen Norris Fellows (1830 - 1908)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/improvement-of-the-mind-by-isaac-watts/
"No man is obliged to learn and know everything; this can neither be sought nor required, for it is utterly impossible; yet all persons are under some obligation to improve their own understanding; otherwise it will be a barren desert, or a forest overgrown with weeds and brambles. Universal ignorance or infinite errors will overspread the mind which is utterly neglected and lies without any cultivation.<br><br>
The common duties and benefits of society, which belong to every man living, as we are social creatures, and even our native and necessary relations to a family, a neighborhood, or government, oblige all persons, whatsoever, to use their reasoning powers upon a thousand occasions; every hour of life calls for some regular exercise of our judgment, as to time and things, persons and actions: without a prudent and discreet determination in matters before us, we shall be plunged into perpetual errors in our conduct. Now, that which should always be practiced must at some time be learned."<br><br>
This version has been abridged from Watt's original by Stephen Norris Fellows as follows:<br>
"In endeavoring to adapt it to the needs of the present, the following changes have been made: First — Nearly one-third of the book has been eliminated, as being too theological or too closely related to the age and country of the author. Second — A brief but comprehensive analysis has been prepared, which appears as a table of contents. Third — Prominence is given to some of the more essential doctrines by stating them in large type, while explanatory and illustrative matter is given in smaller type.<br>
But few changes have been made in the text other than those mentioned above, as it seemed desirable to preserve the unique and forcible style of the author. The original work was first published in 1727, and although it is over one hundred and fifty years old, yet its teachings are in substantial harmony with the truest pedagogical doctrines of today. It is believed that in its present form and dress it is adapted to private reading, and reading circles, and also as a text-book in Secondary and Normal Schools." (Summary by Introduction and Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/improvementofmind00watt/page/n7/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Improvement of the Mind.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Improvement of the Mind, by Isaac Watts and Stephen Norris Fellows.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)

Special notes:
  • Read I, II , III, IV as 'First, second third fourth'
  • Read the sections in a different font in the same way as the normal text.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Improvement of the Mind, by Isaac Watts and Stephen Norris Fellows."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: improvementmind_##_watts_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. improvementmind_01_watts_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on June 14th, 2022, 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I will DPL this. I have added Stephen Norris Fellows as a second author because he abridged this in such a way that it should be considered a new work.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi :) this sounds like an interesting project. I will MC it for you, MW is coming up soon.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok MW is ready to be filled in. I suggest we go with "section" instead of "chapter" in the intro, just in case one chapter needs to be split in two because of the length. Makes it less messy that way.

You are in as DPL and as soon as the MW is completed, I can move us to Readers Wanted. :)

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: April 29th, 2022, 12:18 am ok MW is ready to be filled in. I suggest we go with "section" instead of "chapter" in the intro, just in case one chapter needs to be split in two because of the length. Makes it less messy that way.

You are in as DPL and as soon as the MW is completed, I can move us to Readers Wanted. :)

Sonia
Thankyou! We are all set up.

My preference is that we use chapters to follow the book structure - From the word-counts I've posted, (max ~7000) I think it's very unlikely that it will be longer than one section. But if you'd like to be on the safe side, I'm happy to use section.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: April 29th, 2022, 1:38 amMy preference is that we use chapters to follow the book structure - From the word-counts I've posted, (max ~7000) I think it's very unlikely that it will be longer than one section. But if you'd like to be on the safe side, I'm happy to use section.
you are the BC, you can decide. And yes, if the chapters won't be split, it doesn't matter. You can change the wording back to Chapter if you wish. :)

I'll move us to Readers Wanted then.

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I have added some special notes to the first post for guidance of any readers with questions now that I've read my first section :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I see you recorded a section yourself, and since you are the DPL, I can PL your sections. :) Very nicely narrated and flawless. :thumbs: Some interesting ideas here.

It can be marked PL ok, the only thing that I personally find a little bit off are some lengthy pauses. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener, so I personally would have cut those three breaks a bit shorter:

> 4:06-4:08 (before 7th) / 5:16-5:18 (before 9th) / 5:51-5:53 (before 10th)

But it's a minor detail, so let me know if you want to change it and I can Spot PL.

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2022, 11:43 pm > 4:06-4:08 (before 7th) / 5:16-5:18 (before 9th) / 5:51-5:53 (before 10th)
Sure! I recently changed my macro so it only truncates from 2.5 seconds of silence or longer but I've changed it on your advice. :) Spot checks at 4:05, 5:14, 5:48.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:08 amSure! I recently changed my macro so it only truncates from 2.5 seconds of silence or longer but I've changed it on your advice. :) Spot checks at 4:05, 5:14, 5:48.
:thumbs: yes it's better now, thanks. Absolutely PL ok.

Good start

Sonia
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

May I claim
Section 9: Of Disputes and Debates?

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Done!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and section 20 is also PL ok. Could you please always make a note in the thread when you upload a section ? That way I get notified of any new action. Otherwise I may overlook it.

Thanks

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 2:06 am and section 20 is also PL ok. Could you please always make a note in the thread when you upload a section ? That way I get notified of any new action. Otherwise I may overlook it.

Thanks

Sonia
Affirmative!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kitty wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 2:06 am and section 20 is also PL ok. Could you please always make a note in the thread when you upload a section ? That way I get notified of any new action. Otherwise I may overlook it.

Thanks

Sonia
My last section is now up :)