[COMPLETE] The Story Of My Life - Part 3 (Supplementary Material), ed. by John A. Macy - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sections 8 and 9 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

and Soooo funny!!!! :lol: "Did father shoot him? . . . I will eat grandfather for dinner." :lol: :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

msfry wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:53 am Section 8 is uploaded. Thanks Victoria and Wayne for your additions, and Lynette for listening.
I am really liking Anne Sullivan. She is unpretentious, funny, and has that pioneer spirit. Aren't we lucky she had a confidente to write to! :)
Helen sounds like she was a difficult and willful child at first, and Anne Sullivan would have to be very willful herself to stick with her mission. She must have been a remarkable person, and without her there would be no Helen Keller as we know her today.

Got my bit for section 17: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/kellerlife3_17_vn.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teabender wrote: May 7th, 2022, 6:41 pm Helen sounds like she was a difficult and willful child at first, and Anne Sullivan would have to be very willful herself to stick with her mission. She must have been a remarkable person, and without her there would be no Helen Keller as we know her today.
Agreed. Tough love is much tougher on the teacher/parent than on the kid, which is why it's so hard to do. But that is the real love. BUT, there is a difference between tough love and just being mean, or strict for no good reason. Kids know the difference, too. Anne had the formula down, IMHO. She never forgot that joy and fun were the greatest motivators, and that her pupil was just "in formation". She was keenly observing what Helen was learning as she went along, and learning herself as well.

Thanks for 17. I'm working on 10, just blown away by the revelations. For example, no, Anne DID NOT USE shorthand spelling (i.e., dg hngry), and she explains why she spelled out every single letter in every word!!!!!
msfry

Post by msfry »

10 is uploaded.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 10 is PL OK :thumbs:

So hard to conceive of being able to judge emotions as she did - and even judging with strangers! remarkable

I have been within 6 feet of a male lion when it fully roared - it is physically astonishing. I can imagine what an experience it was for Helen!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
msfry

Post by msfry »

11 is uploaded.

Deciding when to use Helen's voice and when to just say what Anne remembers Helen saying, was a bit tricky. Lemme know if anything sounds unnatural.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I have no idea how long ago I recorded this, but just now noticed that I hadn't posted it here, so here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/kellerlife3_15_wc.mp3

:oops: :oops:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

11 is PL OK :thumbs:

Talking to her through morse code on the floor - wow!
~Lynette * -
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

And here is Section 16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/kellerlife3_16_wc.mp3

The next two will make me feel like you two. LONG (for me) :D

One can get spoiled. :roll:
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:51 pm And here is Section 16:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/kellerlife3_16_wc.mp3

The next two will make me feel like you two. LONG (for me) :D

One can get spoiled. :roll:
I know what you mean. I try to divide up long chapters to under 4000 words each. Alas, sometimes more can't be helped. :(
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 12 uploaded at last.

This was a difficult read. Anne's long, weighty, convoluted sentences, were hard to make flow in any smooth way. Also, I had many interruptions, plus head and chest conjestion part way through, and had to re-record many snippets. Helen's frequent interjections are the only thing that gives it "lift", IMO. Yeah, Victoria!
msfry

Post by msfry »

13 is uploaded.

Much easier chapter to read. Whew!

Wayne, at about 21:39 in this completed section,
This idea will be vigorously combatted, I hear rigurously. Might not matter. Up to you. Otherwise, all ab-fab! :thumbs:
I didn't want Lynette to have to wait for that one possible edit to listen to the whole chapter. I'll add it in if you submit it.

What a testament to home schooling! I'm adding that to the summary.

NOTE: It might be interesting to look up the reports mentioned in the last paragraph for possible recording.
Miss Keller's later education is easy to understand and needs no further explanation than she has given. Those interested may get on application to the Volta Bureau, Washington, D. C., the reports of the teachers who prepared her for college, Mr. Arthur Gilman of the Cambridge School for Young Ladies, and Mr. Merton S. Keith.
Last edited by msfry on May 21st, 2022, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

NOTE: I might be interesting to look up the reports mentioned in the last paragraph for possible recording.
Miss Keller's later education is easy to understand and needs no further explanation than she has given. Those interested may get on application to the Volta Bureau, Washington, D. C., the reports of the teachers who prepared her for college, Mr. Arthur Gilman of the Cambridge School for Young Ladies, and Mr. Merton S. Keith.

I thought of that too. :D
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

msfry wrote: May 21st, 2022, 12:20 pm
Wayne, at about 21:39 in this completed section,
This idea will be vigorously combatted, I hear rigurously. Might not matter. Up to you.
What a testament to home schooling! I'm adding that to the summary.
I just listened to it and what happened I think us that I said vigorously, but but put in an extra "r" :oops: . But I think I will let it go. It doesn't really sound that bad. :hmm:

And I agree to your home schooling comment. That is why my daughter has/is home schooling all her kids. All 14 of them. There are so many different levels of intelligence and ways of learning in children, it seems to be the best way for the child. In my daughters family they have such a range. A 17 year old junior in college (with a 3.95), to a 13 year old who composes classical music on the fly, with no piano lessons in his life, to what one might call 'average', to Down Syndrome.
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: May 21st, 2022, 1:09 pm That is why my daughter has/is home schooling all her kids. All 14 of them.
Me, dumbfounded!. :shock: