[COMPLETE] The Blue Poetry Book- icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

The Blue Poetry Book, edited by Andrew Lang (1844 - 1912)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-blue-poetry-book-by-andrew-lang/
(To be edited) Four voices read this anthology of poetry gathered by Andrew Lang and originally published in 1891. (Summary by )
Source text (Please read and proof-listen individual parts from the scripts. Please proof-listen finished sections only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/46515

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: hsEK7cMZ
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lang (Andrew Lang)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies; Poetry; Children's Fiction/Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, Robert Burns, William Wordsworth, William Blake, William Cowper, ben jonson, Charles Lamb, john milton, John Bunyan, andrew lang, Percy Bysshe Shelley, anthology, thomas moore, sir walter scott, William Shakespeare, thomas nashe, mary lamb, lord byron, children's poetry, thomas hood, edgar allen poe, christopher marlowe, andrew marvell, anonymous poetry, richard barnefield, ellizabeth barrett browning, william cullen bryant, minstrel burn, thomas campbell, samuel taylor coleridge, william collins, charles dibdin, michael drayton, john dryde, jane elliott, oliver goldsmith, thomas gray, robert herrick, thomas haywood, james hogg, john keats, walter savage landor, lady a. lyndsay, henry wadsword longfellow, richard lovelace, lord macaulay, william julius mickle, lady nairne, thomas love peacock, winthrop mackworth praed, james shirley, sir philip sydney, robert surtees, charles wolfe, sir henry wotton

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording: (This applies only to the sections compiled by the editor. On individual recordings, no intro/outro is needed.)
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section 1 of The Blue Poetry Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "The Blue Poetry Book, edited by Andrew Lang."
For the second and subsequent sections, say:
"Section #. of The Blue Poetry Book, edited by Andrew Lang. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Blue Poetry Book, edited by Andrew Lang."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename for recording sections: bluepoetry_division_color_128kb where ## is the section number. (e.g. bluepoetry_1st_purple_128kb)
Filename for finalized sections: bluepoetry_##_lang_128kb where ## is the section number. (e.g. bluepoetry_01_lang_128kb)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by LCaulkins on July 1st, 2022, 2:08 pm, edited 18 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I, Ciufi, JVoxMachina, and SilverQuill wish to record this poetry anthology. We have editing in hand, but will seek a DPL.
Last edited by LCaulkins on September 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I'm game! I will MC this one for you all! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is up! The one change that I recommend is adding the words, "edited by" in from of Andrew Lang's name, since he assembled all the poems into one book instead of writing them. We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks so much, Ann!
~Lynette * -
erieston

Post by erieston »

Hi! I am looking for works to PL and this looks so cool! I would love to be the DPL if that’s okay 🙂
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

OK, LV friends,

We're set up to go, when you're ready.

:lol: I couldn't resist "waxing poetic" in the notes with the script links!

Let me know if I didn't make things clear for us all.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

erieston wrote: September 15th, 2021, 1:46 pm Hi! I am looking for works to PL and this looks so cool! I would love to be the DPL if that’s okay 🙂
Would love to have you!

Have you already PL'd for anything like Plays or Dramatic Works? This quartet is running similar to that. If you look at the 1st Script, you'll see that we're going to rotate voices with each poem.

It'll be easier for you to PL the reader files using those scripts. But when we start assembling finished sections, those have to be PL'd from the source.
~Lynette * -
erieston

Post by erieston »

LCaulkins wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:00 pm
erieston wrote: September 15th, 2021, 1:46 pm Hi! I am looking for works to PL and this looks so cool! I would love to be the DPL if that’s okay 🙂
Would love to have you!

Have you already PL'd for anything like Plays or Dramatic Works? This quartet is running similar to that. If you look at the 1st Script, you'll see that we're going to rotate voices with each poem.

It'll be easier for you to PL the reader files using those scripts. But when we start assembling finished sections, those have to be PL'd from the source.
I have not PL'd any plays or Dramatic Works, however I have volunteered for 1-2 in the past so I'm familiar with the basics of how it works :) I'll keep that in mind and read the reader files from the scripts and then the assemblies from the source :thumbs: super excited to hear these!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks for joining us :)
~Lynette * -
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Looks good. The docs accessed from these links seem to work better than accessing them from the folder. I still can't enlarge the font, but I think I can work with it.

Could you clarify what you want for any intros and outros? Should we do the regular short poetry intro for each poem, or what?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, I think that, since we now have a DPL, we can move on to Readers Found!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

silverquill wrote: September 15th, 2021, 8:20 pm Looks good. The docs accessed from these links seem to work better than accessing them from the folder. I still can't enlarge the font, but I think I can work with it.

Could you clarify what you want for any intros and outros? Should we do the regular short poetry intro for each poem, or what?
Hi, Larry :)

After this note, I'll go see if I can set the font size larger for us without messing things up. Edit: It does mess up the lines since Gutenberg had weird tab markers everywhere that respond in abnormal ways when I try to manipulate them back into correct orientation. Let me know if using the document zoom feature to 125 or 150% doesn't help. That's not my own favorite work-around, because then my reading window is larger than I like it (keep it positioned next to my Audacity window), but let's try it.

Intros and outros will be pointless on our individual recordings, so we don't need to do those right now. The way the book just streams one long line of poems, it was impossible to know where to make breaks for the "official" audiobook sections. I'll be doing our editing as we go along. As I'm splicing the poems together from our four tracks, I'll break them off around 30 minutes. Then I'll just make intro/outros for them as they're finished.

Which means we can just record our divisions the same way we do roles for Plays and DRs. (Except we don't need, "Purple, read by Larry" on the first one.)

I do wonder, Ann - If we classify this project as a Quartet, even though we're preparing it the same way as a DR, we still just present it like a regular book, right? As in, we don't make a cast list or anything - just put the four names on each finalized section?
Last edited by LCaulkins on September 16th, 2021, 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And thanks, Larry! I had forgotten to customize the intro-outro and file name portion of our main post. Now we have those cues. :)
~Lynette * -
JVoxMachina

Post by JVoxMachina »

Hello!

I'm really excited to start this project! Since I'm brand new to all of this, I do have a couple of questions:

1) Since we don't need to do intros/outros, what would be the most helpful way for me to record considering the editing process? Would I just record one file for each section/script and introduce each poem by saying something like "[Poem Title], by [Poem Author]"? (Sorry, I've not yet had a chance to do a DR on librivox yet, so this is all quite new)

2) I noticed I will have the honor of reading a poem by Robert Burns. Seeing as how the poem is in Scots, should I attempt to read it with the corresponding accent? Or just stick to what's natural?

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this! I'm looking forward to sharing it with my kiddos when it's done.
- J.T.