COMPLETE: Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects by Hermann Helmholtz - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

williamjones wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:51 pm Problem is fixed with the links to the audio for sections 1 and 2.
Got it.
williamjones wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:51 pm Strange stuff going on!
Neutrinos.
I'll be away April 16-22.
Voy a estar fuera el 16-22 de abril.

Cheers, VERLA
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

"Said the lady to the bishop," is the early 20th Century [British] version of "That's what she said," from The Office.

I've only heard that expression used in person by my godmother's 2nd husband, who was a hoot - and Dotty would always give him "that look" whenever he said it.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:12 am "Said the lady to the bishop," is the early 20th Century [British] version of "That's what she said," from The Office.

I've only heard that expression used in person by my godmother's 2nd husband, who was a hoot - and Dotty would always give him "that look" whenever he said it.
Thanks, Owlivia.
I first heard the expression from an actress friend who now lives in Toronto. She said it should be "...said the ACTRESS to the Bishop". But, I forgot that along the way. My friend's name: Marcia Bennett, lives on MacDonnell Street. She and I were high school classmates.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Section 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/popularlectures_15_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
18:31.17

For a new wrinkle in the story of the lady and the bishop; mentioned it to a friend who says he heard it as "as the duchess said to the bishop." Now this makes sense if it came about in relation to Wallis Simpson (aka Duchess of Windsor) as she had <ahem> quite a reputation.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: September 21st, 2021, 7:25 pm Section 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/popularlectures_15_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
18:31.17

For a new wrinkle in the story of the lady and the bishop; mentioned it to a friend who says he heard it as "as the duchess said to the bishop." Now this makes sense if it came about in relation to Wallis Simpson (aka Duchess of Windsor) as she had <ahem> quite a reputation.
The plot thickens!

Thanks for section 15. Will PL it tomorrow, but later in the day. I have some remedial recording to do first.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Helmholtz Section 1 PLNotes by vviera sent via PM
section 1:
vviera wrote:September 20th, 2021, 10:24 pm
Silence at end 9 sec - cut to 5
15:35 - you say "movement OF our third dimension" rather than "movement TO our third dimension" - it's a tiny word, but the movement TO is the point - your call on whether to redo
19:38 sentence beginning "They would maintain..." has a couple of words changed, one of which changes the meaning of the sentence
25:01 text: represented, heard: representeted
31:08 text: dilitation, heard: dilation
32:39 tongue trip on "magnitudes"

I should get to section 2 tomorrow

Corrections made and file uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/popularlectures_01_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
37:47
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 02
popularlectures_02_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
39:28
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

vviera wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:04 pm Section 8

Duration 25:25

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/popularlectures_08_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
Vviera,
I'm a little puzzled. I was going along PLing your Section 08 when all of a sudden, at there was a bump in the road:
20:47 - Immediately after (a) "...measured by Fraunhofer, and are hence known as Fraunhofer’s lines." I hear (b) "Kirchhoff's investigation of the solar spectrum..."

But immediately after (a) is WRITTEN "Far more powerful apparatus was afterwards used by Kirchhoff, and then by Angstrom, to push the de- composition of light as far as possible. Fig. 6 re-presents an apparatus with four prisms, constructed by Steinheil for Kirchhoff."

but I cannot find this WRITTEN text in the verbal recitation.
In fact I cannot find where the verbal text (b) comes from either.
Gimme a clue?
Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
vviera

Post by vviera »

williamjones wrote: September 25th, 2021, 5:49 pm

In fact I cannot find where the verbal text (b) comes from either.
Gimme a clue?
Thanks.
Hi William -

We discussed this in PM, where I asked how to I should handle the diagram of the two-telescope, four-prism apparatus and spectral displays given that the listener wouldn't have access to the drawings.

I said:
On the solar spectrum apparatus, there's a two-page section that includes three figures. What Helmholtz is getting across boils down to (and it would be boiling, because it's the sun, after all) is that Kirchhoff used spectral analysis to ascertain what elements there were. I've developed two versions, one which just gives the boiled-down sentence, and one where I've worked in a brief description of the apparatus. This is pages bottom of pdf 162 through most of 164.

Of the two different ways to deal with it, one was more verbose, and one simpler. You said you thought the simpler one was clearer. Here is the one you chose:

Kirchhoff’s investigation of the solar spectrum thus revealed the presence of iron, calcium, sodium, and lead.

That is presumably the text you hear that isn't on the page.

The other one, which you said you thought would be less clear for the reader/listener (though it was attempting to describe the drawings they can't see:

[Steinheil constructed for Kirchhoff an apparatus that passed a fine slice of light into one telescope, through four prisms, and into a second telescope, through which it was viewed. Kirchhoff mapped small portions of the resulting solar spectrum, and in the green, yellow, and golden-yellow portions, found iron, calcium, sodium, and lead.]

So what you're hearing is bottom of 162 through most of 164 with its apparatus diagram and three examples of Fraunhoffer's lines, replaced by the one sentence, in bold above. That's what I understood our discussion to result in. Let me know if you'd like me to handle it differently.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

williamjones wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:51 am Helmholtz Section 1 PLNotes by vviera sent via PM
section 1:

Corrections made and file uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/popularlectures_01_helmholtz_128kb.mp3
37:47
Thanks. Will be able to PL tomorrow (Sunday).
V

Cheers, VERLA
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

vviera wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:38 pm
williamjones wrote: September 25th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Without seeing both your abridgement and the full source, it all makes good sense. So, let's go with your version, please. That being said, section 08 is PL OK!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
vviera

Post by vviera »

Please PL section 9. I had to change equipment and place since last time, so hopefully it's ok. My Audacity skills are minimal - noise reduction and that's about it - so if you have any suggestions after listening as to how to improve the sound quality, I'd welcome them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/popularlectures_09_helmholtz_128kb.mp3

11:05

Shouldn't have promised your section 1 PL for today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

vviera wrote: September 26th, 2021, 8:01 pm Please PL section 9. I had to change equipment and place since last time, so hopefully it's ok. My Audacity skills are minimal - noise reduction and that's about it - so if you have any suggestions after listening as to how to improve the sound quality, I'd welcome them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/popularlectures_09_helmholtz_128kb.mp3

11:05

Shouldn't have promised your section 1 PL for today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Verla
Verla, your sound qualities are just fine! and your accuracy is stellar, too.

These "planetary" sections are VERY difficult and you're handling them extremely well.

This section in PL OK, right out of the box. :clap:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Status check, please. :)

Owlivia
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: September 27th, 2021, 7:17 am
Status check, please. :)

Owlivia
Me <== tied up for a while.
Will PL this at about 2pm EST
i apologize for the tardiness.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison