COMPLETE: Billy Whiskers' Travels, by Frances Trego Montgomery -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loon

Post by loon »

dustman33 wrote: September 11th, 2021, 8:24 am OK. Here is the corrected chapter 8. I hope I have it right now. The duration is 12:04

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/billywhiskerstravels_08_montgomery_128kb.mp3
Chapter 8 is now PL OK and nicely read.

So you know, your overall volume for this chapter is near the high end of the LibriVox range. If you make future chapters around 2 dB quieter they will be right in the middle of the volume range.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Thank you Rich. I’m a newbie and still feeling my way around. I use the automated non-destructive normalizing when bouncing my tracks in Logic Pro. It has no variable for loudness but is fixed. There is a per track normalization routine as well but it is destructive so I hesitate to use it in case I get it wrong. Any suggestions?
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Hello again Rich. I have done some reading and experimenting with Logic Pro and I think I have the problem worked out. There were features I was not aware of and I was able to hit the target of 89db as the final volume using a destructive -0.02 db normalization target. Hopefully this will be consistent with future projects. Thanks for the heads up regarding this volume issue.
loon

Post by loon »

dustman33 wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:24 am Thank you Rich. I’m a newbie and still feeling my way around. I use the automated non-destructive normalizing when bouncing my tracks in Logic Pro. It has no variable for loudness but is fixed. There is a per track normalization routine as well but it is destructive so I hesitate to use it in case I get it wrong. Any suggestions?
One thing you can do is save you file just before you use a destructive routine under a different file name - then if the non-reversible change turns out to be a mistake you can go back to the previous saved version. I typically have a few versions of a chapter I'm working on from various stages of completion. It's important to have some systematic plan about what the saved files will be named so you'll be sure which version you're editing (and uploading).

Unless I misread the documentation for Logic Pro, the normalization adjusts the level of your track to put the very loudest peak at some volume. LibriVox and many others are concerned with perceived volume - sort of the average volume. Fortunately, when you find a normalization setting that works for your voice it should work for all your tracks. Another person's voice might have a larger or smaller peak-to-typical range and would get a different volume as measured by Checker.
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Thanks. I just found a Youtube video that illustrates a different non destructive method for normalizing audio (by region). At least I can play around with that without harm and it seems to work. I am not too technical and find that these DAWs all have many ways to do the same thing and the documentation is often incomplete. The best way to learn is by experienced third party individuals. Cheers. :D
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

I am trying to reach Magic Window page in order to submit chapters 12 & 13. Can't find it. Help. Tom M
loon

Post by loon »

TommyMer wrote: September 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm I am trying to reach Magic Window page in order to submit chapters 12 & 13. Can't find it. Help. Tom M
Just upload your chapters according to the instructions in the first post, note the link the uploader provides, and post that here. Jo, Larry, or I can fill the Magic Window with that information.
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

The problem is that I am not able to find Billy on the board index, therefore I am unable to get to the upload information I need.
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

I did find it in the readers found section, but the link doesn't take me to MW page.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TommyMer wrote: September 11th, 2021, 2:18 pm I did find it in the readers found section, but the link doesn't take me to MW page.
The MW is in the first post in the forum.

Also, see my response to your PM
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

loon

Post by loon »

Proof listens coming up soon on chapters 12 & 13, thanks.
loon

Post by loon »

I'm happy to see you got your files delivered.

Chapter 12 - Billy Earns His Name - PL OK.

Be careful about the beginning silence however - it's .4 second and it really should be .5 second (or up to one full second). I think we can let this slip by this time.
loon

Post by loon »

At ~ 4:36 I hear "But neither one of them" two times. One of those should be edited out.

At the very end you should read
End of chapter 13.
End of Billy Whiskers' Travels, by Frances Trego Montgomery.
(Yes, it gets both the end-of-chapter and the end-of-book wording.)

Could you make those two edits and upload the chapter again please? These two chapters will make a fine ending for this book.