Post by Owlivia »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/greatevents8_12_horne_128kb.mp3
20:39.16

None of the "nobles" behave nobly ....
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
louishehman

Post by louishehman »

Just requesting a little more time on Section 11 -- the reading is a bit more challenging than I anticipated!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Owlivia wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 2:34 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/greatevents8_12_horne_128kb.mp3
20:39.16

None of the "nobles" behave nobly ....
Do they ever? :lol: Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

louishehman wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 5:30 pm Just requesting a little more time on Section 11 -- the reading is a bit more challenging than I anticipated!

No problem! I totally understand, a long section and with the Russians involved, that is understandable.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'm about to start recording my section on the Cabots and while pre-reading I came across an interesting problem. Much attention is being given in one portion of the text to the area of Newfoundland, whose name, contrary to the actual spelling of the word, is apparently pronounced as "newfunland" these days (because, you know, English spelling weird :roll: ). The thing is the author actually goes over the meaning of the "newfound" part as an evidence that this may have been the place where the Cabots first landed. Which makes me wonder if I should spell the name differently depending on the context.

For example in the following fragment:
The name "Newfoundland" lends itself to this view; for in the letters-patent of 1498 the expression "Londe and iles of late founde," and the wording of the award recorded in the King's privy-purse accounts, August 10, 1497, "To hym that founde the new ile £I0," seem naturally to suggest the island of Newfoundland of our day; and this impression is strengthened by reading the old authors, who spell it, as Richard Whitbourne in 1588, "New-found-land,"
the name should probably best be spelled as "new found" rather than "new fun" (lol) but not so in the fragments where the ethymology of the name is not mentioned.... Thoughts?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Piotrek81 wrote: September 5th, 2021, 2:07 am I'm about to start recording my section on the Cabots and while pre-reading I came across an interesting problem. Much attention is being given in one portion of the text to the area of Newfoundland, whose name, contrary to the actual spelling of the word, is apparently pronounced as "newfunland" these days (because, you know, English spelling weird :roll: ). The thing is the author actually goes over the meaning of the "newfound" part as an evidence that this may have been the place where the Cabots first landed. Which makes me wonder if I should spell the name differently depending on the context.

For example in the following fragment:
The name "Newfoundland" lends itself to this view; for in the letters-patent of 1498 the expression "Londe and iles of late founde," and the wording of the award recorded in the King's privy-purse accounts, August 10, 1497, "To hym that founde the new ile £I0," seem naturally to suggest the island of Newfoundland of our day; and this impression is strengthened by reading the old authors, who spell it, as Richard Whitbourne in 1588, "New-found-land,"
the name should probably best be spelled as "new found" rather than "new fun" (lol) but not so in the fragments where the ethymology of the name is not mentioned.... Thoughts?
I think that you are correct in your assumption, that when you are reading the parts talking about where the name comes from, to pronounce it as "New-Found-Land" instead of the modern (?) pronunciation. But, when reading the name in the other parts, you might want to stay with :New-Fun-Land." (And, yes, English is just weird all around!)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 22 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
jenno

Post by jenno »

Here is section 25

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/greatevents8_25_horne_128kb.mp3

duration 40.05

Cheers

Jennifer
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

jenno wrote: September 6th, 2021, 6:41 pm Here is section 25

duration 40.05

Cheers

Jennifer

Thank you, Jennifer!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 12 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

icequeen wrote: September 6th, 2021, 7:43 pm
jenno wrote: September 6th, 2021, 6:41 pm Here is section 25

duration 40.05

Cheers

Jennifer

Thank you, Jennifer!
This one should be section 23, so the intro and outro need to be changed to "section 23." Otherwise, everything else is great!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

Hello, I would like to join this project by claiming:

19 Conquest of Granada (A.D.1490), by Washington Irving, part 1 4427 words, stop reading at the paragraph ending, "...glory of the Catholic sovereigns." Open

and

20 Conquest of Granada (A.D.1490), by Washington Irving, part 2 4090 words, starting reading at, "In the mean time the besieged city..." to the end. Open

Kind regards
Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

yourbookvoice wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:07 am Hello, I would like to join this project by claiming:

19 Conquest of Granada (A.D.1490), by Washington Irving, part 1 4427 words, stop reading at the paragraph ending, "...glory of the Catholic sovereigns." Open

and

20 Conquest of Granada (A.D.1490), by Washington Irving, part 2 4090 words, starting reading at, "In the mean time the besieged city..." to the end. Open

Kind regards
Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice

Sections 19 and 20 are yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

icequeen wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:50 pm
yourbookvoice wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:07 am Hello, I would like to join this project by claiming:

and

Kind regards
Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice

Sections 19 and 20 are yours, thank you!
Thank you!