[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 6 March 1897 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:09 am this is the 18th issue already and so far I LOVED ALL THE STORIES. It's a great magazine and I'm thrilled that I found it.

We have plenty of issues still to do.

Sonia
That's good to hear. Hopefully, I can record in future issues as well.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
lordy

Post by lordy »

section 4, Monsieur Angot....22m35s

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_4_various_128kb.mp3

Hope all is ok. Thankyou, Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lordy wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:03 pm section 4, Monsieur Angot....22m35s
thank you, Alan, looking forward to this. I will try to PL over the weekend. Stay tuned for feedback :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lordy wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:03 pmsection 4, Monsieur Angot....22m35s
Hope all is ok. Thankyou, Alan
:shock: wow what a treat !!! I was delighted when I noticed that you were supposed to be a parrot. Now this is ingenious idea to have as narrator for a story. 8-) And you did it so well in character, it was wonderful to listen to. Maybe you were a parrot in your previous life (maybe you are a hundred thousands years old :lol: ) A bit of a braggart, our good parrot.

Absolutely enjoyable, and I definitely hope to hear you in any project (maybe even a Black Cat) I am DPLing. :9:

A perfect narration. I have an optional note, though, if you like to correct this still, but it is not too distracting if you don't. Just let me know what you prefer.

> at 4:23: (p. 38) "came M. Montmorin" - since this is a French parrot, I think what he means to say is "Monsieur Montmorin"
> at 7:02: (p. 39) "and M. Montmorin came not" - same here

Thank you

Sonia
lordy

Post by lordy »

Thankyou for such wonderfully kind words...I had thought that it should be read as monsieur but then thought that these texts have to be read exactly as written so I left it as written. happy to put it right. Thanks again, Alan

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lordy wrote: July 31st, 2021, 10:26 pmThankyou for such wonderfully kind words...I had thought that it should be read as monsieur but then thought that these texts have to be read exactly as written so I left it as written.
ah ok, I see what your dilemma was. Well, you are right, we have to "read what the author wrote", but this was a case of abbreviations, which usually are read out in full (even in your head as you read quietly for yourself, I think). Just like you would not say "e - t - c" but the full word "et cetera" or you would not say "f - e" but "for example" if you encounter those words in the text. "M." and "Rev." (for reverend) or "the Hon." (for the Honourable) are such titles that also are usually abbreviated in writing but read out in full for clarification of the text. And it doesn't change what the author meant actually, because the word is the same meaning than the abbreviation.

So thank you for correcting it :thumbs: perfectly inserted, wouldn't hear a difference in sound. All PL ok now, definitely.

Sonia
lordy

Post by lordy »

Kitty wrote: August 1st, 2021, 1:36 am
lordy wrote: July 31st, 2021, 10:26 pmThankyou for such wonderfully kind words...I had thought that it should be read as monsieur but then thought that these texts have to be read exactly as written so I left it as written.
ah ok, I see what your dilemma was. Well, you are right, we have to "read what the author wrote", but this was a case of abbreviations, which usually are read out in full (even in your head as you read quietly for yourself, I think). Just like you would not say "e - t - c" but the full word "et cetera" or you would not say "f - e" but "for example" if you encounter those words in the text. "M." and "Rev." (for reverend) or "the Hon." (for the Honourable) are such titles that also are usually abbreviated in writing but read out in full for clarification of the text. And it doesn't change what the author meant actually, because the word is the same meaning than the abbreviation.

So thank you for correcting it :thumbs: perfectly inserted, wouldn't hear a difference in sound. All PL ok now, definitely.

Sonia
Thanks for the advice...sure that will help prevent future errors
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Section 3 - The Parchment Slave:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0206mar1897_3_various_128kb.mp3

Run time is 32:35

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:05 pmHere is Section 3 - The Parchment Slave:
thank you, Greg, now what an unusual addiction :shock: it was a very mysterious story, I really really enjoyed it and you narrated it wonderfully and engagingly. :thumbs:

I only found two small things to correct:

> at 24:13: (p. 33) "into a yellow MS" - this is the abbreviation of "manuscript" and it sounds strange to me to hear only those two letters. Would you mind recording it as "manuscript" ?

> at 31:19: (p. 36) repeat "all can be made straight for the poor lady" - one version can be cut

thanks

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: August 13th, 2021, 11:25 am
GregGiordano wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:05 pmHere is Section 3 - The Parchment Slave:
thank you, Greg, now what an unusual addiction :shock: it was a very mysterious story, I really really enjoyed it and you narrated it wonderfully and engagingly. :thumbs:

I only found two small things to correct:

> at 24:13: (p. 33) "into a yellow MS" - this is the abbreviation of "manuscript" and it sounds strange to me to hear only those two letters. Would you mind recording it as "manuscript" ?

> at 31:19: (p. 36) repeat "all can be made straight for the poor lady" - one version can be cut

thanks

Sonia
Sonia,

I agree that the paper-eating was a very strange behavior indeed!

Regarding the "MS" I struggled with that a bit. I do understand that MS is an abbreviation for "manuscript." The only reason I did not say the full word is that I could not find other words in the piece that were abbreviations. I took the chance that, for some reason unknown to me, the author wanted the abbreviation read as is. It will be an easy fix.

I will also remove the repeat and repost.

Thank you!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: August 13th, 2021, 11:42 amRegarding the "MS" I struggled with that a bit. I do understand that MS is an abbreviation for "manuscript." The only reason I did not say the full word is that I could not find other words in the piece that were abbreviations. I took the chance that, for some reason unknown to me, the author wanted the abbreviation read as is.
hm no I think it's an abbreviation just like "Mr" for "mister" for example. You would also have used the full word and not only those two letters. I think MS can be dealt with in the same way.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: August 13th, 2021, 12:09 pm
GregGiordano wrote: August 13th, 2021, 11:42 amRegarding the "MS" I struggled with that a bit. I do understand that MS is an abbreviation for "manuscript." The only reason I did not say the full word is that I could not find other words in the piece that were abbreviations. I took the chance that, for some reason unknown to me, the author wanted the abbreviation read as is.
hm no I think it's an abbreviation just like "Mr" for "mister" for example. You would also have used the full word and not only those two letters. I think MS can be dealt with in the same way.

Sonia
Understood! It is an easy fix!
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Section 3 with corrections:

New run time is 32:33

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: August 13th, 2021, 2:57 pmHere is Section 3 with corrections:
thank you, Greg, definitely PL ok now. Nice edits :)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: August 14th, 2021, 5:41 am
GregGiordano wrote: August 13th, 2021, 2:57 pmHere is Section 3 with corrections:
thank you, Greg, definitely PL ok now. Nice edits :)

Sonia
Many thanks!