[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 19 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: July 20th, 2021, 3:46 pmSection 1, duration 19:18
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_01_various_128kb.mp3
:lol: this section was so funnily written and you acted it out funnily as well :thumbs: highly enjoyable, Mike, thank you so much.

Could I just ask you to trim a few longish pauses in between some sentences ? They made me as listener jump out of the flow because it took so long. I would recommend trimming them to under 2 seconds.

Here they are:

> 9:58 - 10:00: here follows prose / if this fall into thy hands
> 13:29 - 13:31: and take it for a great favour / the countess was sitting
> 14:06 - 14:08: the man is tainted in his wits / Malvolio approaches
> 14:48-14:50: what is the matter with thee / not black in my mind

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:59 pmSection 11 revised
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_11_various_128kb.mp3
thank you, excellently patched and now PL ok :)

Sonia
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: July 21st, 2021, 4:52 pmSection 1 corrected, duration 19:12
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_01_various_128kb.mp3
thank you, Mike, sounds perfect now :thumbs: PL ok

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

I would like to claim 10 "Vanity of the World" to finish this off.

Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:29 amI would like to claim 10 "Vanity of the World" to finish this off.
hey Mike ! great to hear you in this Rover as well 8-) and thank you for making us fully claimed. Moving us to Reader Found now.

And I will launch the next Rover soon !!! Watch this space for the link once it's up and running.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is the link to the next issue ! (wow, 20 issues already and we only started this year :shock: )

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=88338

Sonia
Lily1326

Post by Lily1326 »

Kitty wrote: July 21st, 2021, 1:21 am
Lily1326 wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:54 pmSection 5 please :)
hello Lily, welcome to LV :)

I can certainly reserve you section 5 for now, but beware it's quite a long section for a brand-new reader. I could fully understand if you wanted to choose a shorter section to start out with.

What's more, before you start recording, we strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

I see the BC in the Bee-Keeping journal already gave you the same advice ;) And I quickly checked the technical settings on your "Beggar King" section, and the bitrate is wrong, so the test is definitely the place where it would be recommendable to start, to sort out these initial problems before launching into any official recording.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the sections officially. For that I would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell me which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever.

For the moment, I will reserve the section for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test !

Sonia
Thank you! I went ahead and posted my 1 minute test and will get back to you with the results! I should have the reading done rather soon after I am given clearance. Thanks! <3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lily1326 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 10:12 amThank you! I went ahead and posted my 1 minute test and will get back to you with the results! I should have the reading done rather soon after I am given clearance. Thanks! <3
thank you, Lily, I see you got the technical settings right now. Only careful with the volume it seems (I read the review of your test file). But volume can be easily amplified in the editing process. :)

The section is now officially reserved for you for 2 months and I see someone else already opened your personal reader page.

So I wish you good luck and fun with the recording of this story. Please have a careful look at the first post of the project, you can find all the details there on how to read the intro/outro/title correctly and how to name the finished file.

If there are any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :) looking forward to your narration.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Alan, another lovely poetry recital :9: all PL ok :)

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Just FYI-- using new microphone and new DAW. Went through Checker fine and paid really close attention, so should be good to go, but always welcome comments.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_10_various_128kb.mp3

1:21

Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 24th, 2021, 6:56 amJust FYI-- using new microphone and new DAW. Went through Checker fine and paid really close attention, so should be good to go, but always welcome comments.
thank you, Mike. I took the liberty to move your post to the correct Rover Number 19 (you posted in 18). Will try to PL today still, but tomorrow at the latest.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 24th, 2021, 6:56 amJust FYI-- using new microphone and new DAW. Went through Checker fine and paid really close attention, so should be good to go, but always welcome comments.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_10_various_128kb.mp3
the sound is absolutely fine and pure, good microphone :thumbs: what did you buy ? It's got a full sound, I like it.

The poem was lovely read, gave me almost a shudder (in a positive way). A few small adjustments needed though:

> at 0:30 and 0:33: repeat "Vanity of the world" - one version can be cut. Also please shorten the lengthy silence between title and start of poem. Over 2 seconds is really much too long

> at 0:39: "sad or gay" - you say "and or gay" (I know, the script is rather hard to read, I had to magnify it quite a bit, but "sad" makes more sense too)

> from 1:06 to 1:09: between "and pure" and "end of section 10" - also here, the pause could be under 2 seconds

> the end silence should be our standard 5 seconds, you have 10 seconds here. Please cut 5 seconds there as well

thanks

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Sonia,

The new mic is the Rode NT1A. The new DAW is Cakewalk. Discovered that their ruler is NOT in seconds- hence the longer-than-they-should-be pauses. Also, with a new recording setup since I recorded this, I'm not sure I'll be able splice in a suitable replacement for the first line. I'll give it a go in the morning, when my voice is not my end-of-day voice. If i can't get it to match, I'll have to re-record. Not a big deal for this small poem.

Mike