[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 19 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 27th, 2021, 2:00 pmDiscovered that their ruler is NOT in seconds- hence the longer-than-they-should-be pauses.
usually there must be a way to magnify the timing ruler, isn't there ? :hmm: That would be handy, also to more accurately highlight bits that need replacing or cutting.
Also, with a new recording setup since I recorded this, I'm not sure I'll be able splice in a suitable replacement for the first line. I'll give it a go in the morning, when my voice is not my end-of-day voice. If i can't get it to match, I'll have to re-record. Not a big deal for this small poem.
while we of course always prefer editing to re-recording, for obvious time and work involved, and there is always the chance that there will be another error in the new recording, which then needs to be edited ;) and so on... but I agree, the poem is very small so if you prefer redoing, I'm ok with relistening. But if you re-record, let me know, because then I know I have to relisten from scratch.

Thanks

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Sorry- there was no way to get the same sound. To start out the poem with a line that sounded so different would, IMHO, lead listeners to straightaway click off. As you might notice in the re-recording I uploaded, the sound is vastly different, to my ear, far superior. I also didn't think I could recreate the same sound conditions. For what it's worth, I now have a stable setup- good sound-deadening area, DAW and equipment I'll be using for a long time.

In Cakewalk the ruler is not in seconds. Maybe there's a setting I have not yet discovered. There is a running digital timer. That's what I used this time around. I placed the play head at the start of a period of silence, noted the time, and then moved the play head to the end of that silence to see the time difference.

Sorry to cause you to spend extra time with this. I did measure every period of silence and listen to every word twice :wink: I am clearly learning a lot!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_10_various_128kb.mp3 1:10

Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 28th, 2021, 7:46 amthe sound is vastly different, to my ear, far superior.
the sound is excellent :thumbs:
In Cakewalk the ruler is not in seconds. Maybe there's a setting I have not yet discovered. There is a running digital timer. That's what I used this time around. I placed the play head at the start of a period of silence, noted the time, and then moved the play head to the end of that silence to see the time difference.
seems your method is working because the ending silence is ok :)

All PL ok now, once more, hauntingly read.

Thank you

Sonia
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: July 31st, 2021, 7:41 pmSection 4, duration 13:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_04_various_128kb.mp3
thank you, Mike, excellently narrated and flawlessly PL ok. Strange that the narrative ends so abruptly without telling us the real outcome of the battle. Didn't know Napoleon already declared himself the winner before the fact. That letter must have been embarrassing later on. :lol:

Sonia
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Kitty wrote: August 1st, 2021, 4:35 am
MManolakes wrote: July 31st, 2021, 7:41 pmSection 4, duration 13:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_04_various_128kb.mp3
thank you, Mike, excellently narrated and flawlessly PL ok. Strange that the narrative ends so abruptly without telling us the real outcome of the battle. Didn't know Napoleon already declared himself the winner before the fact. That letter must have been embarrassing later on. :lol:

Sonia
I assume the author stopped there because he knew the battle's outcome would be so familiar to the readers of his era. An interesting article -- now I'd like to go see Waterloo myself. I've visited many U.S. battle sites, especially from the American Civil War, but I haven't made it over to see Waterloo yet.

Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: August 1st, 2021, 7:49 amnow I'd like to go see Waterloo myself. I've visited many U.S. battle sites, especially from the American Civil War, but I haven't made it over to see Waterloo yet.
ah, Waterloo is practically in my backyard...well it's a two hour drive ;) but quite close to home. Napoleon probably crossed through my backyard to get to Waterloo :lol: I've been there once, many many years ago, can't remember much anymore, I think it was a big hill with a memorial :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Since I haven't heard back from the new reader and my PM has not been picked up, I will release the claim on section 8 again and actually record it myself, to keep us fully claimed.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is the very funny story with a happy ending and a good moral.

If any of my fellow readers from this project would like to PL my section (since I cannot PL my own recording), I would be very grateful. Please make a note in the thread before you start listening, so that the work won't be made double by more volunteers.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0119_08_various_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:18 min.

Thanks

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I did read the "introduction" before the first story I have claimed. It dawned on me that John Mackay is familiar to me, hmmmm... oh yeah! I have put one of his books on lv as a group project. "the Unvarnished Tales of William Mackay". :lol:
I did find upon looking that John William Mackay was a person.
:D
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,

I am editing section 02 & I do wonder just how you wish this part to be recorded.

1. The introduction first, than the lv intro followed by the section itself?
or
2. The intro followed with the introduction and the section?

Please do let me know & thank you in advance. :D
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:46 pm1. The introduction first, than the lv intro followed by the section itself?
or
sorry for replying so late...

yes always the LV disclaimer first, in any section of any project. Then read the intro, and then the story, just like it is in the magazine, in that order. When the real story starts, please say the title one more time, at the point where you can see the title in the text as well.

The intro is part of the article and story, so I didn't want to make it a special section.

I hope this helps, looking forward to your section. So interesting that you already did a group project about this author. It wasn't the exact same stories, was it ? :shock:

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
The tales with the section I had put up as a group project were not the same as the magazine article, just a multitude of different stories with my group project. Thank you for letting me know just how you would like for me to include the intro.
April
Kitty wrote: August 26th, 2021, 1:02 am
adr6090 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:46 pm1. The introduction first, than the lv intro followed by the section itself?
or
sorry for replying so late...

yes always the LV disclaimer first, in any section of any project. Then read the intro, and then the story, just like it is in the magazine, in that order. When the real story starts, please say the title one more time, at the point where you can see the title in the text as well.

The intro is part of the article and story, so I didn't want to make it a special section.

I hope this helps, looking forward to your section. So interesting that you already did a group project about this author. It wasn't the exact same stories, was it ? :shock:

Sonia
April
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Sonia
I have listened to your section 8 and it is textually PL OK!
I have not checked the tech specs as I assume you will have done that yourself :)
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:40 pmI have listened to your section 8 and it is textually PL OK!
I have not checked the tech specs as I assume you will have done that yourself :)
:9: thank you Alan !

But: never assume ;) actually it's best that the link in the MW is still checked once more, because we can all make mistakes. Yes, I check it as a routine before I upload, but you never know and who knows what happened in the uploader. But I re-checked it just now, it's all good.

Sonia