[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 18 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Being a lover of Wordsworth, I guess I ought to claim him. May I visit him in Section 4? And if you grant me that favor, am I to translate W-- as Mr W. or as Mr. Wordsworth? Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:56 pmBeing a lover of Wordsworth, I guess I ought to claim him. May I visit him in Section 4? And if you grant me that favor, am I to translate W-- as Mr W. or as Mr. Wordsworth?
thank you, Jim, it's yours. And please read the text as it is written. If he only writes an initial, just say "W". It's often done in diaries or letters. In the context we will know it's Wordsworth.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 8 - Summer

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0118_08_various_128kb.mp3

I had to guess a few words, let me know what you think :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

May I have section 11, Singular Instance of Sudden Death?

Short, but just my second post-1-minute test reading. Thanks, Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 11th, 2021, 4:32 pmMay I have section 11, Singular Instance of Sudden Death?
Short, but just my second post-1-minute test reading. Thanks, Mike
hi Mike, welcome to the Rover project 8-) Thank you for claiming, and yes you are right, shorter sections are perfect to start out with as new volunteer. Please always read carefully through the first post, where you can find all the details on how to correctly say the full librivox disclaimer intro and outro, the title of the section and how to name the file correctly.

If there are any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :) Have fun with your section, I'm looking forward to hearing your voice.

Sonia
lakshmij

Post by lakshmij »

hi
can I have section 9 and section 10.
regards
Lakshmij
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lakshmij wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:55 amhi
can I have section 9 and section 10.
regards
Lakshmij
hello Lakshmij, and also welcome to the Rover magazine. Thank you for claiming, I will reserve sections 9 and 10 for you. All details on how to correctly read the intro/outro/title and how to name the file can be found in the first post.

Have fun !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: July 11th, 2021, 1:41 amSection 8 - Summer
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0118_08_various_128kb.mp3
I had to guess a few words, let me know what you think :hmm:
:lol: this poem was certainly not to be meant too seriously, and I loved your ironic way of narrating it. :thumbs: Enjoyable, thank you, Alan. And I think all the words are correct from what I could see.

PL ok

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

eveningwarmth

Post by eveningwarmth »

Hello! Could I claim section 13 please?
-Aidan "Evening Warmth"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:09 am Here is section 11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0118_11_various_128kb.mp3
that was fast ! thank you, Mike. Will PL tomorrow morning. Updating MW now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eveningwarmth wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:21 am Hello! Could I claim section 13 please?
Aidan ! Hi, happy to see you back in another Rover :9: Section 13 is yours. Compared to the length of your two previous stories, this must be a breeze ;)

Have fun !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:09 amHere is section 11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0118_11_various_128kb.mp3
all right...this was a tragic incident :shock: but you made it agreeable to listen to, thank you, Mike. I like your voice and your way of narration, it's perfect to follow along, not too fast and not too slow. :thumbs: Already looking forward to hearing you in other sections one day.

I have a few small PL notes for your consideration though, all are quickly and easily corrected, so no need to re-record it all. We always encourage Spot editing, otherwise the workload for both reader and prooflistener would be too much. So it's crucial to get into the practice of editing right away. If you need help on how best to edit, just ask away.

> at the beginning we recommend between 0.5 and 1 second maximum of silence. You have 2 seconds here, which feels too long for a listener to be waiting for the action to start ;) Could you cut off one second here please ?

> at 1:26: (p. 287) "I did but turn his head very gently to use the razor" – you say "ease the razor" if I'm not mistaken. In such cases I would recommend re-recording this entire part of the sentence, as you may find it easier to record a bigger chunk than just simply insert a word. Others I know can accurately punch in only the corrected word (I'm not one of them). But you'll find your best method of editing with practice, I'm sure.

> from 2:35 to 2:39: also here between the end of the text and the end disclaimer, please reduce the silence. I always recommend staying throughout under 2 seconds. Even between paragraphs, 1 to 1.5 seconds maximum of silence is fully enough. Only exception is the end-of-file silence, which should be a standard 5 seconds, which you had correct.

Simply reupload with the exact same file name, then the new recording will overwrite the old one.

Thanks

Sonia
wizardDr

Post by wizardDr »

Re: initial attempt at section 11

FWIW, I spent about an hour editing the original recording, making quite a few changes. I too paste in phrases rather than single words. I need that length of flat line to cut and paste. I simply missed the substitution of "ease" for "use." That's been corrected, which gave me an opportunity to improve my volume-matching skills! Maybe I need to reconsider my practice of turning all the pre-amp knobs back to zero before putting it away...

I didn't know about the standards surrounding length of silence. The changes you suggested were made. Adjusting silence is easy!

Upload done, same file name, with new length 2:42.

Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wizardDr wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:27 amFWIW, I spent about an hour editing the original recording, making quite a few changes.
I so sympathize...my editing time also still takes 3-4 times as long as the recording itself took. That's why I prefer shorter sections :lol:
I simply missed the substitution of "ease" for "use." That's been corrected, which gave me an opportunity to improve my volume-matching skills!
:thumbs: it's perfectly inserted, I see you have no trouble editing, which will be very helpful for future recordings.

It's absolutely PL ok now ! Thank you again for lending your voice to the Rover magazine. :)
I didn't know about the standards surrounding length of silence.
well, let's say there are no hard-and-fast rules of course, but I convey my feelings as a listener and for me personally, waiting over 2 seconds for a text to continue, it breaks me out of the story, it feels too long. Others may differ in their opinion.

In any case, your section is absolutely fine now. 8-)

Sonia