[Complete] The Yarn of Old Harbour Town by William Clark Russell - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cymo

Post by Cymo »

Cymo wrote: October 7th, 2021, 9:44 am
brownrottger wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:02 pm
Cymo wrote: October 6th, 2021, 12:39 am
Thank you I did not how to name the file appropriately. Thank you for understanding
Hi Cymo, Great handling of a chapter that has the most slang and accents in the whole book!

Here are the notes for Chapter 12:
File Name needs correcting - see first page of this project which tells you how to name the file. You can copy and paste from there but put in 12 instead of ##.
bit rate in Audacity needs to be 128 kbps and constant instead of variable. I would google how to correct this or look in "Newbie Guide to Recording" link which is on the first page of this project. Lynnet may chime in here with suggestions as well.

The Db level needs to be within 89-91. I can help with this after you correct the file name and reupload.

at:00 Redo the intro in accordance with the instructions on the first page of this project.

at 3:32 remove repeated words. Here are two links to you tube instructional videos on how to edit in Audacity: 1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&ab_channel=PhilChenevert 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJ2VyYkmaA&ab_channel=KevinStratvert

at 3:32- 3:43 remove repeated words

at 17:59- 18:09 remover repeated words

20:41 shorten silence

21:32 -21:59 remove repeated words

22:18 -22:20 remove repeated words

23:13 -23:26 shorten silence

25:30 - 25:41 shorten silence

25:51 remove repeat

26:54 remove repeat

27:22 -27:27 shorten silence

28:39 remove verbal stumble

29:53 -29:57 shorten silence

36:03 - 36:11 shorten silence

37:05 add 5 seconds of silence at the end

Although this seems lengthy, once you get used to editing after watching the videos, it is an easy matter to remove those few repeated words and shorten up the silences a little.
Thank you for your efforts in bringing this book to audio!
Christine
Thank you. Let me start working on it

Here is the edited file. It is 35 minutes and 25 seconds long
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/oldharbourtown_12_russell_128kb.mp3
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you,
In future, please be sure to upload to the correct MC. It just makes less work 8-)
Cymo

Post by Cymo »

Lynnet wrote: October 11th, 2021, 5:38 am Thank you,
In future, please be sure to upload to the correct MC. It just makes less work 8-)
:? Am sorry for that. Am not sure how the MC thing work. I am assigned one when am assigned a chapter? :help:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cymo wrote: October 11th, 2021, 6:51 am
Lynnet wrote: October 11th, 2021, 5:38 am Thank you,
:? Am sorry for that. Am not sure how the MC thing work. I am assigned one when am assigned a chapter? :help:
It tells you in the first post who the MC is. There are about 40 of us (some more active than others) and we do the behind the scenes stuff. Each MC has a "folder" and all sections of a project go in that MC's folder. Here, you uploaded to Ann's folder (icequeen). I can sort it out,but it does take extra work.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

njgorgen wrote: October 9th, 2021, 10:04 am Chap 10 - 36m37s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/oldharbourtown_10_russell_128kb.mp3
Chapter 10 is PL Ok!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Chapter 12 Notes. There are just a few more things to edit in this Chapter. Hang in there!
Here they are:

The volume level of the recording is below the required range in order that Librivox listeners can hear the Chapter well.
So please go back into audacity fill, double click the track to highlight your whole recording then click on the tab named Effects then in the drop down list select Amplify choose to increase by 6. Click ok.

Reduce silence in beginning to between .5 and 1 second.

:21 Add the words "The Yarn of Old Harbour Town by William Clark Russell" before "Mr. Lawrence Reflects" so as to include the name of the author in the introduction.

21:36 remove "it will be time enough to speak up when we know what Captain Acton's instructions to him." which is a repeat.

35:20 Add the words "End of Chapter 12"

That's it!
Cymo

Post by Cymo »

brownrottger wrote: October 11th, 2021, 7:00 pm Chapter 12 Notes. There are just a few more things to edit in this Chapter. Hang in there!
Here they are:

The volume level of the recording is below the required range in order that Librivox listeners can hear the Chapter well.
So please go back into audacity fill, double click the track to highlight your whole recording then click on the tab named Effects then in the drop down list select Amplify choose to increase by 6. Click ok.

:21 Add the words "The Yarn of Old Harbour Town by William Clark Russell" before "Mr. Lawrence Reflects" so as to include the name of the author in the introduction.

21:36 remove "it will be time enough to speak up when we know what Captain Acton's instructions to him." which is a repeat.

That's it!
Here is the link. I hope i have done a better job this time. Its length is 36 minutes 16 seconds
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/oldharbourtown_12_russell_128kb.mp3
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Cymo wrote: October 12th, 2021, 4:10 am
brownrottger wrote: October 11th, 2021, 7:00 pm Chapter 12 Notes. There are just a few more things to edit in this Chapter. Hang in there!
Here they are:

That's it!
Here is the link. I hope i have done a better job this time. Its length is 36 minutes 16 seconds
Excellent job with all the edits except the introduction.
I apologize for not being as clear as I could.
Please insert at beginning:
1 second of silence followed by the following words:
"Chapter 12 of The Yarn of Old Harbour Town. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." Read by George S. Williams. The Yarn of Old Harbour Town, by William Clark Russell. "

This should replace everything before you state "Mr. Lawrence Reflects" at 0:18.

Highlight everything before 0:18 and hit delete. Hit the red record button and record the above intro which is in quotes. This will appear at the end of your recording. Go to the end of your recording and highlight this added material. Hit control x. then go to the beginning of your recording and place the cursor there. Then hit control v which will insert the above intro bit there. listen and make sure there is between .5 and 1 second of silence before this inserted intro and that the intro is followed shortly by your words "Mr. Lawrence Reflects". I hope this is more clear. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?
Best,
Christine

If you have any questions please let me know.
Last edited by brownrottger on October 13th, 2021, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speaker987

Post by speaker987 »

Here is Section/Chapter 13..
I hope I won't get keelhauled - or tossed into the briney drink.. if it does not pass muster. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/oldharbourtown_13_russell_128kb.mp3

Length 40 min 33 secs
Darrell
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

speaker987 wrote: October 13th, 2021, 9:15 am Here is Section/Chapter 13..
I hope I won't get keelhauled - or tossed into the briney drink.. if it does not pass muster. :lol:

Length 40 min 33 secs
Darrell
Thank you
Cymo

Post by Cymo »

brownrottger wrote: October 12th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Here they are:

That's it!
"Chapter 12 of The Yarn of Old Harbour Town. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." Read by George S. Williams. The Yarn of Old Harbour Town, by William Clark Russell. "

This should replace everything before you state "Mr. Lawrence Reflects" at 0:18.

Highlight everything before 0:18 and hit delete. Hit the red record button and record the above intro which is in quotes. This will appear at the end of your recording. Go to the end of your recording and highlight this added material. Hit control x. then go to the beginning of your recording and place the cursor there. Then hit control v which will insert the above intro bit there. listen and make sure there is between .5 and 1 second of silence before this inserted intro and that the intro is followed shortly by your words "Mr. Lawrence Reflects". I hope this is more clear. Will you please let me know if you have any questions?
Best,
Christine

Am very sorry for giving you a very hard time. I hope i have done a better job this time. Here is the revised file. It is 35 minutes 17 seconds long. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/oldharbourtown_12_russell_128kb.mp3
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Cymo wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:23 am
brownrottger wrote: October 12th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Best,
Christine

Am very sorry for giving you a very hard time. I hope i have done a better job this time. Here is the revised file. It is 35 minutes 17 seconds long. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/oldharbourtown_12_russell_128kb.mp3
No worries. Audacity challenges everyone at first.
Just one more edit:
Record the words "by William Clark Russell". This will appear at the end of your recording. Go to the end of your recording and highlight this added material. Hit control x. then go to : 0:18 just before the Chapter Title ("Mr. Lawrence Reflects")and place the cursor there. Then hit control v which will insert the authors name into the intro.
Thanks for your diligence here. It will get easier!
Kind Regards,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

speaker987 wrote: October 13th, 2021, 9:15 am Here is Section/Chapter 13..

Length 40 min 33 secs
Darrell
Hi Darrell, Excellent, enthusiastic recording of a tricky Chapter. Here are your notes for edit.
Section 13:
6:38 should be "it seemed like all the world to a very little"; I heard "it all seemed like a world to a very little"
8:45 should be "started"; I heard "stared"
8:53 should by "lady"; I heard "body"
10:46 should be "pallor"; I heard "parlor"
11:58 remove the words "you say"
12:17 should be "looking"; I heard "looked"
16:20 should be "roguishness"; I heard "roughness"
16:36 should be "a"; I heard "any"
26:18 should be "sprit-sail and sprit-topsail"; I heard "spirt sail and spirit topsail"
31:11 should be "unusual"; I heard "usual"
34:28 should be "with"; I heard "without"
40:29 add "End of Chapter 13" with five seconds of silence following.
This was an unusually long Chapter. Also, I would like to mention that I have found it best to replace the sentence in which the edit lies. Hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Kind Regards.
Christine