COMPLETE: How To Have Bird Neighbors, by S. Louise Patteson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

docdlmartin wrote: August 30th, 2021, 4:10 pm May I claim Chapter 9?
Of course. Enjoy yourself.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, Doc, welcome to Librivox! :D

I see that these are your first recordings for Librivox. You did a very good job for a first timer!! In fact, your reading was word perfect and very easy to listen to. And I could tell that the more you read, the more comfortable you were doing it. :thumbs:

However there are a couple of minor technical things that you should fix before I can give you a PLOK.

On Chapter 8:

At the very beginning there should be a silence of .5 to 1 second. Yours is something over 2 seconds, if you could cut that down it would be great. The reason for this short time period is so when someone starts to listen to your recording, they don't think there is a problem with the recording.

And at the end of the recording, be sure and say “End of Chapter 8” or whatever the number of the chapter. Also, be sure and leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Right under the Magic Window, just before and after where it shows what to say in the “intro” and “extro” are the comments about the silent stretches and what to include in the 'Outgo'. You might want to reread the 'first post' again just to remind yourself of everything.

In Chapter 10:

Again, on this one there is more than six seconds of silence at the beginning.

2:22 “Yes,” he answered, This phrase was much quieter than the rest of the reading. What it sounds like is that you had to go back in and rerecord this phrase after you had saved this as an MP3. If you have to do that, be sure and listen to it and try to make it as close as possible to the volume of the rest of the recording. One fairly easy way to do this is to 'import' the recording into Audacity, 'select' that phrase (just before 2:22 to about 2:23.25). Then click on Effect at the top of Audacity. Then select Amplify at top of the drop-down menu. A box will come up and near the top will be a box highlighted in blue with numbers in it. Just type the number 3 there then click on OK. That will help with the volume. (I worked with it a little, and that is how I came up with the number 3. In a different case you would have to experiment to get the best number) Then save it again as an MP3 file and repost it here (along with any other corrections).

7:05.5 She sang The same situation we had above, volume wise.

And at the end, remember to say “End of Chapter 10”

One other hint. When you have multiple corrections in a recording, especially when there are words you forgot (it happens) or said something that wasn't there (it happens), start with correction nearest the end of the recording, that way the 'time stamps' stay correct.

It seems like there is a lot to learn with LV (and there is), but we were all there once, and the joy one gets from reading, listening (PLing) and giving others the opportunity to listen to something either they have always wanted to read but didn't have the time, or something they had never heard of but sounded interesting makes all the work worthwhile.

Good luck,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Doc,
Great job on your corrections. Timing right on the money and the increasing of the volume was perfect. :clap:

Chapters 8 and 10 are absolutely PLOK :thumbs:

There is one little bit of 'housekeeping'. When you upload a reading and post it in the Forum, could you please note the time of the reading i.e. Section 8 time: 12:53 Section 10 time: 10:04. These times will be included in the information which the listeners will see so they can kind of tell what kind of time commitment they are giving for a particular story or chapter. Thanks.

I am looking forward to Chapter 9. :D

Wayne
Wayne
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

Wayne: Thanks for all of your helpful tips and housekeeping notes to recording on Audacity and Librivox. I'll probably start Chapter 9 tomorrow (and I'll try to remember your tips and notes). diane
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

Greetings,
I'd like to claim Section 6 please, thank you.
Margaret
Peas and Lovage
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

LangeM wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 9:16 pm :D
Greetings,
Margaret
Margaret,

Welcome to our little bird house, and helping us to finish it up.

Section 6 is all yours. :D

Enjoy!

Wayne
Wayne
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

Kalamareader wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 11:37 pm
Greetings,
Margaret
Margaret,

Enjoy!

Wayne
Thank you! I'm so glad to be part of the neighborhood, so happy I could chirp.
Peas and Lovage
LangeM

Post by LangeM »

Greetings,
Margaret
Margaret,

Enjoy!

Wayne
Question: when it comes to vocalizing the bird song, would you like us to attempt to imitate the call or to just read it straight as text?
M
Peas and Lovage
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

LangeM wrote: September 4th, 2021, 1:48 pm
Greetings,
Margaret
Margaret,

Enjoy!

Wayne
Question: when it comes to vocalizing the bird song, would you like us to attempt to imitate the call or to just read it straight as text?
M
How about I say "reader's choice"? I, personally, have done it both ways depending on my familiarity with the bird song.

Thank you for volunteering to read this last, lonely chapter. :)

M
docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdneighbors_09_patteson_128kb.mp3

I'm not sure where to find the length of the reading that goes in one of the cells of the Magic Window.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

docdlmartin wrote: September 5th, 2021, 1:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdneighbors_09_patteson_128kb.mp3

I'm not sure where to find the length of the reading that goes in one of the cells of the Magic Window.
If you are using Audacity, you can get the length from the bottom right of the window (the Audacity selection toolbar) or from the time listed at the end of the track.

Another option is to download the Checker Validator from Librivox. It will give you the file length, volume, and also check other required settings.

I've put the time in for the recording and marked the file as ready for PL.

Thanks,

M
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

docdlmartin wrote: September 5th, 2021, 1:00 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdneighbors_09_patteson_128kb.mp3

Diane,

M took care of your question on where to find the time. As you probably know now the Chapter 9 was 17:06 in length.

However: At the beginning, where there should be .5 to 1 second of silence, on this recording there is a little less than .01 seconds. So if you could fix that, re-upload it, it will be perfect.

Wayne
Wayne