[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 16 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Rover Vol. 01 No. 16, edited by Seba Smith (1792 - 1868) and Lawrence Labree

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/rover-01-16-by-various/
"The Rover: A weekly magazine of tales, poetry and engravings, original and selected" was a magazine started in 1843 by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. The editors aimed at a high quality standard in their selection of short stories and poetry. Every half-year, the 26 weekly issues were also published under a bound compilation. This current issue another interesting mix of short stories and poems, as well as shorter columns. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/rover02labrgoog/page/n299/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Rover Volume 1 Number 16. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Rover Volume 1 Number 16, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. Section [Number and Title]." (see MW for exact title/author)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Rover Volume 1 Number 16, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rover0116_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. rover0116_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And the next Rover is launched, this time with a bunch of shorter sections interspersed. Some of these are a perfect start for new volunteers to test the waters.

I'm sure we'll all have fun. 8-)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Sections 6 & 9 please :D

These are coming thick and fast :)
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
kathleenx

Post by kathleenx »

Hi Sonia, back again :)

May I have Sections 1 and 5 please? My French is a bit dusty but would love to give it a go.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:22 amSections 6 & 9 please :D
These are coming thick and fast :)
:lol: yes, the sections are so rapidly filling up, that it's really a fast turn-around. Thank you for claiming again :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kathleenx wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:47 amHi Sonia, back again :)
May I have Sections 1 and 5 please? My French is a bit dusty but would love to give it a go.
oh hello again ! I'm thrilled to have you read in another Rover :9: So happy that you found something to your liking in this section. There's French in one of the stories ? Well, I let myself be surprised. And if you need help in a pronunciation, I speak French fluently and can give you hints if you wish.

And yes, one of the perks of LV is that you can practice languages in small stories. I've done it on several occasions as well. 8-)

Thanks, and have fun !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I claim 13? Jim :)
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

May I have

3, the bald eagle
and
12, the idiot

Thank you
Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: June 6th, 2021, 12:34 pm May I claim 13? Jim :)
of course, Jim, thank you for taking part yet again :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:40 pmMay I have

3, the bald eagle
and
12, the idiot
excellent, thank you, Scott ! Looking forward to those two.

Sonia
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Here is section 12, the idiot. At first, it sounded like it was going to be about Jiddu Krishnamurti’s childhood — the dull boy picked to be the future world teacher of the theosophical society.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_12_various_128kb.mp3
5:50

I’ll try to record section 3 tomorrow

Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: June 8th, 2021, 6:22 pmHere is section 12, the idiot. At first, it sounded like it was going to be about Jiddu Krishnamurti’s childhood — the dull boy picked to be the future world teacher of the theosophical society.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_12_various_128kb.mp3
what a sad little anecdote :? this nearly moved me to tears. The fate of the boy will not be rosy.

Didn't know anything about Krishnamurti...I suspect he wasn't that far gone though, otherwise he couldn't become a teacher and mentor for anything.

A perfect narration again, with a haunting "pal-lal". Thank you, Scott, it's PL ok :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

And section 3, the bald eagle. It is like a little tableau of 19th century, small town americana

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_03_various_128kb.mp3
29:16

Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:24 amHere is 13--wonderful!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_13_various_128kb.mp3
thank you, Jim, and yes, it was a lovely encounter. I'm not so sure whether Mary's song was so appropriate, blaming the whites for the bloodshed ;) maybe she could have chosen a more peaceful song. :lol:

Totally PL ok, and wow it was a long section. Kudos for not getting a knot in your tongue with all the Indian names.

Sonia