[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 16 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 5:14 am I forgot I was supposed to put how long my recording is! Section 2 is 8:27 minutes. Thanks!
Faithann
thank you so much...I will try to PL today still, but maybe I'll only get to it tomorrow morning. But I will give you feedback on it, promised, in case you want to wait before you record the second section. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 12:56 pmHere is my first section (section 2):
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_2_various_128kb.mp3
thank you for this lovely little story about the origin of the blush, quite sweet and your young voice is excellently fitting to the tale. :clap: I really enjoyed it.

Most of the reading was very good, although a tiny bit on the quiet side, but it's still inside our accepted volume, so nothing to change there. Maybe for future recordings you could try to boost the volume of your microphone from the start. If you use Audacity, check the microphone icon on top of the waves-window. Is the slider bar all the way up to the plus sign ? If not, move it there ;)

There are a few cuts you still have to do, it seems to me you may have accidentally uploaded the unedited file maybe ? :hmm: There were a few repeats in there that you must have noticed in the editing phase.

Here is what needs to be cut. Best to start with the last PL note, then the time stamps won't change for you and you don't have to search for the correct spot. ;)

> at the beginning: we recommend a silence between 0.5 and 1 second, you have almost 2 seconds, which feels a bit long for a listener. I would shorten a bit there

> from 0:33 to 0:46: (p. 241) repeat of the first 4 lines, can be cut

> from 3:50 to 5:19: (p. 241) repeat of a whole paragraph can get cut, starting at "true lord" and ending with "hast thou not all that Eve"

> from 7:40 to 7:46: (p. 242) repeat of "the spirit departed. The gift he bestowed" can get cut

> at the end: you leave over 7 seconds of silence, please cut down to the standard 5 seconds required

> the file name is a bit incorrect: since there are over 10 sections, you need to include a leading 0 in your section number: 02

thank you, and I am looking forward to your second story as well :)

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Hi,
Thank you! I enjoyed recording it -my voice is not as young as it sounds, though :P ! I thought I trimmed all those repeats out when I stitched the pieces together. They should be gone now. I took almost 1 second off the front and about 2 off the end. I have trouble telling how many seconds of silence I have, especially at the end. I think I will trying trimming a little extra next time, and maybe I will get it right. Here is the fixed recording. Hopefully, it's right now:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_02_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 6:35.
Thanks,
Faithann
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:32 amI have trouble telling how many seconds of silence I have, especially at the end. I think I will trying trimming a little extra next time, and maybe I will get it right.
are you using Audacity ? What I do is simply let the recording run for about 5-10 seconds after I finish speaking. This end silence is also good to take a sample for the ambient noise while noise-cleaning.
When you then magnify the audiowave-window, you can see the time-ruler on top of it. I always magnify to see each second in the ruler, that way I can accurately trim the silence in the end.

Excellent edits this time and all is PL ok now. I hope you had fun and I'll be hearing you in the next story soon :)

Have a nice weekend

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sonia, I am going to listen today. Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Bravo! Wonderful performance and wonderful selection. You are PL 0K! Have a good day. Jim :clap:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: June 25th, 2021, 9:56 am Bravo! Wonderful performance and wonderful selection. You are PL 0K! Have a good day. Jim :clap:
thank you so much, Jim, I'm happy you liked it. I enjoyed the story immensely.

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Hi,
Here is my second recording, section 14. I checked it carefully, so I don't think it has any repeats! I love how this little story reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress.
I hope the volume is good- I ran it through the checker and I tried to read louder. I do have a soft voice, though. Here is the recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_14_various_128kb.mp3
The time is 12:13.
Thanks!
Faithann
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: June 26th, 2021, 10:59 amHere is my second recording, section 14. I checked it carefully, so I don't think it has any repeats! I love how this little story reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress.
I hope the volume is good- I ran it through the checker and I tried to read louder. I do have a soft voice, though. Here is the recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_14_various_128kb.mp3
The time is 12:13.
thank you so much, Faithann, for another lovely narrative. And I see what you mean with Pilgrim's Progress, indeed this allegorical dream was also quite unsettling.

And you may be happy to hear that this time it was indeed flawless recording :thumbs: and can go straight to PL ok. Great job. And I hope I'll hear you again one day soon, (in one of the future Rovers or in any other project I am prooflistening.) :mrgreen:

Have a nice day still

Sonia
serimaluna

Post by serimaluna »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

serimaluna wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 9:12 pmHello!
Here is my part for The Table: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_12_various_128kb.mp3
Gaby
hello Gaby, and thank you for your section :) I was already looking forward to hearing your voice as new reader. It was nicely narrated, and at some points you definitely gave it your all to "sell the magazine" to the public :mrgreen: :thumbs: made me smile. Well done.

I do have a few PL notes for you to correct though before this can be marked ok. :? I was wondering whether you maybe uploaded the unedited file because some things might have been caught already in the editing phase :hmm:

Now don't worry, and please don't re-record it all from scratch. Most of it is very easy to edit and it will always take less time to edit than to re-record, both for you as reader and for me as listener. If you need help on the editing process, I can give you a step by step, just let me know.

So here is what you need to do. I would recommend starting with the last PL note, that way the time stamps stay the same for you and you don't have to look for the correct spot:

> the volume is a bit above our accepted limits (86 to 92 dB maximum). Could you please decrease the whole with -2 dB maybe, to get closer to an average of 89 dB ?

> the intro silence of 6 seconds is much too long. We recommend half a second to one second maximum, anything more, the listeners will wonder whether there is any audio on the file at all ;)

> at 0:33: the title of the section is "Our table" - you say "The table"

> at 0:34: "read by Gabrielle Rodriguez" - could you please put this in between the two intro parts (see first post for details), so here, exactly at time stamp 0:22

> from 0:38 to 5:16: from "the more numerous part of our complany" to "and in terror I awoke" - I am so very sorry, but all this text belongs to the previous story "Allegoric vision", so it needs to be cut for this section. Your chapter only starts in the final column, with the title "Our table". I especially wrote in the Magic window that it should be the 4 small sections of the final column. So sorry if that was confusing you, I was hoping it would make it easier.

> at 5:17: "the engravings of the Rover" - you say "gravenings"

> at 5:46: "induced the publishers" - you say "included"

> at 5:53: stumble and repeat: "how well" - can be cut once

> from 6:27 to 6:28: between "original and selected" and "all for three dollars" - I would cut the silence a bit here, as it's the same sentence, 1.5 seconds feel to long

> from 6:33 to 6:39: repeat "the features of the rover. there are two features in the plan of this work." - can be cut once

> at 6:55: "having no necessary connection" - you say "connoction"

> at 7:00: "so that the purchaser" - you say "poacher"

> at 8:01: "giving a view of the ruins at Fort Ticonderoga" - you say "of the forts at fort"

> from 8:04 to 8:06: between "Ticonderoga" and "in this state" - also here, the pause is too long, please cut it significantly. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener usually maximum 1.5 seconds is fully enough

> from 8:11 to 8:13: between "New Jersey" and "the plate is" - also here, please cut lengthy silence

> at 8:16: "specimen of the art" - I think I hear something like "secamin" which sounds a bit odd

> at 8:48: "that what he says" - you say "that he says" which makes the sentence strange

> from 9:04 to 9:10: between "like favours from him" and " End of Section 15" - also here, maximum 1.5 seconds of silence is enough. Also please insert "End of Section 15" before the final end-of-project disclaimer

> at the very end, we want a standard of 5 seconds of silence, yours is over 7 seconds, also here you could cut off 2 seconds

> please reupload with the correct file name, careful with the section number, yours is section 15, but you named your file section 12, which overwrote the correct section 12 in the process. I managed to retrieve the correct section 12, but it's very important to name the file correctly, so nothing gets deleted by accident. :?

Thanks

Sonia
serimaluna

Post by serimaluna »

Kitty wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:47 am
serimaluna wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 9:12 pmHello!
Here is my part for The Table: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_12_various_128kb.mp3
Gaby
hello Gaby, and thank you for your section :) I was already looking forward to hearing your voice as new reader. It was nicely narrated, and at some points you definitely gave it your all to "sell the magazine" to the public :mrgreen: :thumbs: made me smile. Well done.

I do have a few PL notes for you to correct though before this can be marked ok. :? I was wondering whether you maybe uploaded the unedited file because some things might have been caught already in the editing phase :hmm:

Now don't worry, and please don't re-record it all from scratch. Most of it is very easy to edit and it will always take less time to edit than to re-record, both for you as reader and for me as listener. If you need help on the editing process, I can give you a step by step, just let me know.

So here is what you need to do. I would recommend starting with the last PL note, that way the time stamps stay the same for you and you don't have to look for the correct spot:

> the volume is a bit above our accepted limits (86 to 92 dB maximum). Could you please decrease the whole with -2 dB maybe, to get closer to an average of 89 dB ?

> the intro silence of 6 seconds is much too long. We recommend half a second to one second maximum, anything more, the listeners will wonder whether there is any audio on the file at all ;)

> at 0:33: the title of the section is "Our table" - you say "The table"

> at 0:34: "read by Gabrielle Rodriguez" - could you please put this in between the two intro parts (see first post for details), so here, exactly at time stamp 0:22

> from 0:38 to 5:16: from "the more numerous part of our complany" to "and in terror I awoke" - I am so very sorry, but all this text belongs to the previous story "Allegoric vision", so it needs to be cut for this section. Your chapter only starts in the final column, with the title "Our table". I especially wrote in the Magic window that it should be the 4 small sections of the final column. So sorry if that was confusing you, I was hoping it would make it easier.

> at 5:17: "the engravings of the Rover" - you say "gravenings"

> at 5:46: "induced the publishers" - you say "included"

> at 5:53: stumble and repeat: "how well" - can be cut once

> from 6:27 to 6:28: between "original and selected" and "all for three dollars" - I would cut the silence a bit here, as it's the same sentence, 1.5 seconds feel to long

> from 6:33 to 6:39: repeat "the features of the rover. there are two features in the plan of this work." - can be cut once

> at 6:55: "having no necessary connection" - you say "connoction"

> at 7:00: "so that the purchaser" - you say "poacher"

> at 8:01: "giving a view of the ruins at Fort Ticonderoga" - you say "of the forts at fort"

> from 8:04 to 8:06: between "Ticonderoga" and "in this state" - also here, the pause is too long, please cut it significantly. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener usually maximum 1.5 seconds is fully enough

> from 8:11 to 8:13: between "New Jersey" and "the plate is" - also here, please cut lengthy silence

> at 8:16: "specimen of the art" - I think I hear something like "secamin" which sounds a bit odd

> at 8:48: "that what he says" - you say "that he says" which makes the sentence strange

> from 9:04 to 9:10: between "like favours from him" and " End of Section 15" - also here, maximum 1.5 seconds of silence is enough. Also please insert "End of Section 15" before the final end-of-project disclaimer

> at the very end, we want a standard of 5 seconds of silence, yours is over 7 seconds, also here you could cut off 2 seconds

> please reupload with the correct file name, careful with the section number, yours is section 15, but you named your file section 12, which overwrote the correct section 12 in the process. I managed to retrieve the correct section 12, but it's very important to name the file correctly, so nothing gets deleted by accident. :?

Thanks

Sonia
Hello!

My apologies for my words, I have a bit of a lisp. I tried to clean this up to the best of my ability.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0116_15_various_128kb.mp3

I had to record some parts using my laptop's mic since I did not have access to my usual one.

Let me know if this one is better!
Gaby
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

serimaluna wrote: July 26th, 2021, 9:17 pmMy apologies for my words, I have a bit of a lisp.
hm no I didn't hear much of a lisp, it sounded fine to me. The thing is that a few words were really wrong, or too wrongly pronounced to be understood, those are the only ones I mentioned.
I tried to clean this up to the best of my ability.
Please always include the length of the file, so I can update the Magic Window fully. See other posts in this project for examples.

Ok, many parts of your recording are cleaned and the re-recording of Fort Ticonderoga sounds nice. The silences are trimmed a bit, but I noticed that many words remain unchanged. Did you maybe not find the spots back after you cut the lengthy part in the beginning that was wrong ? That's why I mentioned it's best to start with the last PL notes, that way the time stamps stay the same for you ;)

Ok, I re-listed all the words that are still wrong, with the new time stamps this time, you should be able to find them easily:

> at 0:16: please paste "read by Gabrielle Rodriguez" at this space (you have it at 0:20 - the time stamp I gave you initially changed after you cut the intro silence)

> at 0:30: "the engravings of the Rover" - I still hear "gravenings"

> at 0:58: "induced the publishers" - I still hear "included" - still unchanged

> from 1:36 to 1:37: between "original and selected" and "all for three dollars" - forgot to cut the silence a bit

> at 1:58: "having no necessary connection" - still unchanged, still "connoction"

> at 2:02: "so that the purchaser" - still unchanged, you say "poacher"

> at 3:13: "specimen of the art" - I still hear "secamin"

> at 3:44: "that what he says" - forgot to edit this part as well

> at the end: now you only have 2 seconds left. Maybe my explanation was confusing, we need a standard of 5 seconds, so please add 3 more again

So you re-recorded the sentence with Fort Ticonderoga, so I know that you know how to spot edit, there should be no problem finding the spots now and re-recording these bits of sentences and inserting them. The new microphone is fine too, I would only recommend listening to the sentence before and after your new recording after you pasted it in the right spot, then you will notice that the volume is probably a bit lower than the rest. You could highlight the new part then and amplify a little bit, for Ticonderoga 4 dB would make it sound a little bit more similar to the rest of the reading.

If you need clearer explanations, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you

Sonia
serimaluna

Post by serimaluna »

Kitty wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:04 am
serimaluna wrote: July 26th, 2021, 9:17 pmMy apologies for my words, I have a bit of a lisp.
hm no I didn't hear much of a lisp, it sounded fine to me. The thing is that a few words were really wrong, or too wrongly pronounced to be understood, those are the only ones I mentioned.
I tried to clean this up to the best of my ability.
Please always include the length of the file, so I can update the Magic Window fully. See other posts in this project for examples.

Ok, many parts of your recording are cleaned and the re-recording of Fort Ticonderoga sounds nice. The silences are trimmed a bit, but I noticed that many words remain unchanged. Did you maybe not find the spots back after you cut the lengthy part in the beginning that was wrong ? That's why I mentioned it's best to start with the last PL notes, that way the time stamps stay the same for you ;)

Ok, I re-listed all the words that are still wrong, with the new time stamps this time, you should be able to find them easily:

> at 0:16: please paste "read by Gabrielle Rodriguez" at this space (you have it at 0:20 - the time stamp I gave you initially changed after you cut the intro silence)

> at 0:30: "the engravings of the Rover" - I still hear "gravenings"

> at 0:58: "induced the publishers" - I still hear "included" - still unchanged

> from 1:36 to 1:37: between "original and selected" and "all for three dollars" - forgot to cut the silence a bit

> at 1:58: "having no necessary connection" - still unchanged, still "connoction"

> at 2:02: "so that the purchaser" - still unchanged, you say "poacher"

> at 3:13: "specimen of the art" - I still hear "secamin"

> at 3:44: "that what he says" - forgot to edit this part as well

> at the end: now you only have 2 seconds left. Maybe my explanation was confusing, we need a standard of 5 seconds, so please add 3 more again

So you re-recorded the sentence with Fort Ticonderoga, so I know that you know how to spot edit, there should be no problem finding the spots now and re-recording these bits of sentences and inserting them. The new microphone is fine too, I would only recommend listening to the sentence before and after your new recording after you pasted it in the right spot, then you will notice that the volume is probably a bit lower than the rest. You could highlight the new part then and amplify a little bit, for Ticonderoga 4 dB would make it sound a little bit more similar to the rest of the reading.

If you need clearer explanations, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you

Sonia
Thank you! Next week, I will have access to my mic and I will fix it by then

Gaby
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

as I haven't heard back from the reader and the two-month deadline has expired, I will orphan, and take Section 5 myself.

I hope I get the two remaining sections corrected still, then we can catalogue this issue 16 soon.

Sonia