Complete [SCI-FI/FANTASY] The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JayS wrote: July 26th, 2021, 10:56 pm Hi,
Here it is again.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillenniium_12_leiber_128kb.mp3
This is 89.5 on the LV checker. It is the only file I have since I sent the other to the trash. I still have the master wav file if needed.
If this one isn't what you get, perhaps the old file with the same name is what you are getting. I can alter the name just slightly if needed. 12b for instance. I don't know if that would work.
Or the old file needs to be deleted.
A mystery...........!
Ah! Didn't see this before.
The issue is that you have altered the name slightly by adding and extra "i" in the penultimate syllable. It needs to be uploaded exactly as the original, which will then be automatically renamed, and the link will point to the revised file.

I always download from the link in the MW, which is why it is the same, and I didn't catch the name change.
So, just correct the file name and upload it, and I think we'll be good to go. (I did check the altered file and volume is fine).
~ Larry
JayS

Post by JayS »

Sorry for all that confusion, but thanks for spotting that error.
Here is Ch 12, hopefully spelled right this time.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_12_leiber_128kb.mp3
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JayS wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:50 am Sorry for all that confusion, but thanks for spotting that error.
Here is Ch 12, hopefully spelled right this time.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_12_leiber_128kb.mp3
Hey, we're good to go!
Thanks for sticking with this. :)
~ Larry
Roger

Post by Roger »

-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
blondon

Post by blondon »

Hi -

Here's Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_02_leiber_128kb.mp3

Time: 24:27

Thanks!

Becky
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Roger wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:26 am Chapter 14 has been uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_14_leiber_128kb.mp3

Time - 21:52
Well done!
PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

blondon wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:07 am Hi -

Here's Chapter 2:

Time: 24:27

Thanks!

Becky
Well, thank you for this nice recording!
Just a couple or technical issues

First, the volume is quite a bit too high at 95.4 dB
Our target is 89dB with a range of 86-92 dB.

You can use the Amplification feature in Audacity to bring this down about 6db
But I think you can crank down the audio input gain, so that your raw recording is closer to the target.

Second, the bit rate is incorrect at 192 kbs. All LV recordings must be at 128 kbs.
When you export your file, look for the Quality setting and select 128

Finally, trim about a half second from the opening silence.

Upload the corrected file under the same name, and post the new link here so we can check it.

++++++++++++++++++=

Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
~ Larry
blondon

Post by blondon »

Thanks so much; sorry for the mistakes. I'm still getting the hang of this. Unfortunately, I don't use Audacity, I use Adobe Audition, in which I think the dB's are displayed differently than in Audacity, so I went by LV's stated LUFS measurements. Are those not a usable unit? I'll reprocess the raw file and try to get the volume down where it belongs, and also fix the other two issues.

Thanks for your help.
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Blondon,
I had a bit of the same issue with volume on my chapter. Because I used the LUFS measurement as well. First let me say that I am a professional editing and mastering engineer and only read for fun. (and I am not very good at doing that) However I have a LOT of audiobooks on Audible with real narrators and have never had an issue with volume. Nobody measures volume today the way the Checker does. In today's digital world, volume is measured in DBFS which is db relative to full scale or in LUFS. which is Loudness Units relative to full scale. Full scale is 0 db. No exceptions. If your Adobe Audition has a way to check the RMS on a complete file, (Audacity does) they you can solve your problem by adjusting to about -23 db RMS. That will come out pretty close to the 89 db Librivox insists upon. If you use the lowest LUFS on shown on the Librivox recommendation you will be at about the general (89) db allowed. You may be close with -23 LUFS. It is all rather confusing and LV is a bit behind the times, but it is a very worthy endeavor and that is one reason I try to help.
By the way I heard a bit of your reading, and I must say, "Well done." Keep it up.
Jay Salam
blondon

Post by blondon »

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help - you saved me hours trying to figure out how to fix it. I'm VERY new to editing and obviously I have a lot to learn. Your information is greatly appreciated. And thanks for your comment on the reading; so glad you liked it.

All the best,

Becky
blondon

Post by blondon »

Hi -

I've re-posted the file for Chapter 2, hopefully fixed! Let me know if there's anything else I need to correct. And thanks again for your help!

Time: 24:26
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

blondon wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:43 am Hi -

I've re-posted the file for Chapter 2, hopefully fixed! Let me know if there's anything else I need to correct. And thanks again for your help!

Time: 24:26
Perfect!

And, I'll add my thanks to yours for the professional advice from JayS!
Most of us here are amateurs, and it shows. :roll:
~ Larry
JayS

Post by JayS »

Everyone is most welcome for any way I can help. I do believe in Librivox and the purpose of the organization. I know I don't read well from a pro standpoint, or even a gifted amateur, but I will always try to help in any technical sense that I can.
So thank you all for the opportunity to help.
Jay Salam
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

JayS wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:46 pm Hi Blondon,
I had a bit of the same issue with volume on my chapter. Because I used the LUFS measurement as well. First let me say that I am a professional editing and mastering engineer and only read for fun. (and I am not very good at doing that) However I have a LOT of audiobooks on Audible with real narrators and have never had an issue with volume. Nobody measures volume today the way the Checker does. In today's digital world, volume is measured in DBFS which is db relative to full scale or in LUFS. which is Loudness Units relative to full scale. Full scale is 0 db. No exceptions. If your Adobe Audition has a way to check the RMS on a complete file, (Audacity does) they you can solve your problem by adjusting to about -23 db RMS. That will come out pretty close to the 89 db Librivox insists upon. If you use the lowest LUFS on shown on the Librivox recommendation you will be at about the general (89) db allowed. You may be close with -23 LUFS. It is all rather confusing and LV is a bit behind the times, but it is a very worthy endeavor and that is one reason I try to help.
By the way I heard a bit of your reading, and I must say, "Well done." Keep it up.
Librivox was founded in 2005, and the standards were established in 2008. This goes for the audio standards as well as most of the critical documents on the Wiki like the reasoning behind the project. Changing the standards now would make them different than what was established, and different than the ~16000 files created so far. IMO there would have to be a really compelling reason to do so. Also, since humans generally perceive RMS loudness as opposed to peak loudness, Librivox's way is actually pretty analogous to how listeners will perceive the loudness of audio.

My two cents....
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

silverquill wrote: July 24th, 2021, 6:21 pm
AricReed wrote: July 24th, 2021, 3:20 pm Here's chapter 17, with the help of my lovely wife : ) 10:51

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_17_leiber_128kb_mp3.mp3
Thank you!
This project is on my list next for PL while on my trip.
So, sorry for the delay. Somehow I didn't actually get it on my list.
Really excellently rendered -- professional quailty.

But, I'm checking with our MC to see if we need to have your wife create an LV profile in order to be included.
I'll let you know but in the meantime I've marked this PL OK
~ Larry