Complete [SCI-FI/FANTASY] The Green Millennium, by Fritz Leiber-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

barleyguy wrote: July 11th, 2021, 6:52 pm Hi. I'd like to volunteer for Chapter 15, if it's OK.

I am returning to Librivox after a long break. I posted a new one minute test today just to make sure everything is working, but I already did many chapters here back in 2014 and 2015.

Thanks,

Harley.
Welcome back!
Glad to have you joining the project. :)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Hi. I'd like to volunteer for Chapter 18 as well, if it's alright.

Thanks,

Harley.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Chapter 16 for PL!

I've been fighting a mild cold since a few days after I joined Librivox. Let me know if the inhale sounds are distracting, and I can scrub through and mute them. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_16_leiber_128kb.mp3 26:03
:thumbs: Mira
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MW updated with all the above.
I should have PL reports for you tomorrow.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Miruvor88 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:13 pm Chapter 16 for PL!

I've been fighting a mild cold since a few days after I joined Librivox. Let me know if the inhale sounds are distracting, and I can scrub through and mute them. Thanks!

Oh, my!
This is an excellent recording, Mira.
I loved the little accent you gave Aphrodite. The pace was perfect and really got me absorbed into the story. :clap:

I predict a bright future for you here with LibriVox and look forward to hearing a lot of your voice.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

barleyguy wrote: July 13th, 2021, 4:22 pm Greetings. Here's Chapter 15, length is 21:55:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_15_leiber_128kb.mp3
Well, glad to have you back, Harley, and glad to mark this PL OK.

A few mispronunciations, but still a good recording.
~ Larry
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

silverquill wrote: July 14th, 2021, 9:13 am
Miruvor88 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:13 pm Chapter 16 for PL!

Oh, my!
This is an excellent recording, Mira.
I loved the little accent you gave Aphrodite. The pace was perfect and really got me absorbed into the story. :clap:

I predict a bright future for you here with LibriVox and look forward to hearing a lot of your voice.
Aw, shucks! Thanks, Larry :9:

Looks like Chapter 20 is still open. Mind if I claim it, and we can wrap this bad boy up?
:thumbs: Mira
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Miruvor88 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 9:45 am
Looks like Chapter 20 is still open. Mind if I claim it, and we can wrap this bad boy up?
Accolades well deserved, and I'm delighted to have you wrap up this classic Fritz Leiber story. :D

That means we can go to Readers Found. :thumbs:
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Over to Readers Found.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Hi. Here's Chapter 18, Length is 18:54

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_18_leiber_128kb.mp3

Oh, if the mispronunciation in Chapter 15 was character names, I unfortunately pronounced them the same in Chapter 18.

(If it was other things, I am curious what they were. Edumacating me about my pronuncification may help me pronounce things better in the future. :P )

Cheers,

Harley.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great! I may not get to the PL on this until Friday, but it is in the MW.

I didn't get time stamps on the two places, but since you asked, here they are from the text:

Paragraph:

"As you are aware," Frobisher was saying, "the exact nature of thought waves is unknown. It may be that they move instantaneously, or at least at speeds far greater than that of light. We have yet to get a figure on them, although we have carefully timed thought-casts between here and Montevideo—but the human or physiological factor confounds us. They may not be waves at all. On the other hand it is possible that they are reflected and refracted like ordinary light."

Montevideo is the capital of Uruguay and is pronounced with accent on the penultimate syllable - Mont-e-vi-DE-o. Other wise we're in someone's video world. :lol:

The other paragraph:

"At that moment another voice behind them, languorous and scornful, said, "Stay where you are, gentlemen. It would be dangerous to move your hands."

I heard an extra syllable in there so it sounded like "lan-glor-i-ous" Instead of LANG-or-us.
Funny because I was doing PL on a solo book of poetry and the reader made exactly the same mistake.

We usually don't comment on pronunciation under "standard PL," because there are so many variations and accents. And when it comes to character names, it is often anybody's guess, unless it is something well-known. We are particular about the author's name on this one though. :lol:

So, no need to correct these unless you're inclined to do so.
~ Larry
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Hi. So.... I recorded another take of Chapter 18. I decided I don't like the first one.

(I realize I should have made that decision before uploading, but I got in a hurry.)

I should have the new one edited in the next day or two. Can you please "un-upload" that first one for me?

Thanks,

Harley.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

barleyguy wrote: July 14th, 2021, 11:49 pm Hi. So.... I recorded another take of Chapter 18. I decided I don't like the first one.

(I realize I should have made that decision before uploading, but I got in a hurry.)

I should have the new one edited in the next day or two. Can you please "un-upload" that first one for me?

Thanks,

Harley.
Oh, well glad I saw this before I got to the PL this morning. :roll:

All you need to do is upload your new recording just as you did the first, and post the link and file length here again. The system will just rename the original file, so it's not totally erased. We do this all the time when corrections need to be made. Thanks for you good reading!

I've updated the MW for clarity.
~ Larry
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Here's chapter 18, for real this time... Length is 20:40.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/greenmillennium_18_leiber_128kb.mp3

Thanks,

Harley.