[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 15 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Rover Vol. 01 No. 15, edited by Seba Smith (1792-1868) and Lawrence Labree

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/rover-01-15-by-various/
"The Rover: A weekly magazine of tales, poetry and engravings, original and selected" was a magazine started in 1843 by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. The editors aimed at a high quality standard in their selection of short stories and poetry. Every half-year, the 26 weekly issues were also published under a bound compilation. This current issue another interesting mix of short stories and poems. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/rover02labrgoog/page/n279/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Rover Volume 1 Number 15. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Rover Volume 1 Number 15, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. Section [Number and Title]." (see MW for exact title/author)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Rover Volume 1 Number 15, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rover0115_#_various_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. rover0115_1_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the next Rover is launched ! Looking forward to this new collection of short stories. 8-)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 1 please 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:15 amSection 1 please 😺
thank you, Alan ! I guess the poem should be fitting with the painting they present on the frontispiece.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:20 am
alanmapstone wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:15 amSection 1 please 😺
thank you, Alan ! I guess the poem should be fitting with the painting they present on the frontispiece.
The odd thing about this poem is that there is no reference to an author, nor have I found anything about it online.
Judging by the note at the end of this issue it may be that further issues will be longer.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote:The odd thing about this poem is that there is no reference to an author, nor have I found anything about it online.
Judging by the note at the end of this issue it may be that further issues will be longer.
I don't think they are significantly longer but they may include more original material.

The one thing I don't like in this magazine is that they don't give adequate credit to the authors :evil:

Sonia
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

May I have section 7, about brawny uncle Pete?
Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 6:11 amMay I have section 7, about brawny uncle Pete?
yes I was curious about the antics of Uncle Pete as well :lol: looking forward to hearing your version. Thank you, Scott !

Sonia
adamjs602

Post by adamjs602 »

Hi,
Could I please have section 3?
Thanks!
Adam
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Here is section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0115_7_various_128kb.mp3
14:22

Old Pete is so funny! If he doesn’t come off that way it is only because I cannot do him justice. I’m sorry

Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adamjs602 wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 10:39 amHi,
Could I please have section 3?
Thanks!
Adam
hello Adam, and a warm welcome to our forum :) thank you for your interest in the Rover project. I can certainly reserve you section 3 for the time being. But seeing that you are a brand new reader, please be aware that this story is going to turn out very long. 7 pages with 2 columns on each page in this magazine will probably run on for a good 3/4 hour if not even more. So I'm not saying you cannot do it, but I wanted to warn you that for a first section this is a lot of work involved. Editing can often take up to 4 or 5 times as long as the recording will run, so you can do the maths how much time you may have to spend on this section. I would fully understand if you want to start out with a shorter section first to test the waters, so you can let me know if you changed your mind. ;)

However, before you start recording, we strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in a new thread in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the sections officially. For that I would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell me which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever.

For the moment, I will reserve the section for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test !

Sonia
kathleenx

Post by kathleenx »

Hello :)
Can I do Section 8 please?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kathleenx wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 11:45 pmHello :)
Can I do Section 8 please?
hello Kathleen and also a big welcome to you. Two new readers in this project, how nice, I always like to hear new voices.

I see you just passed your test, so your settings should be good to go. And you also chose a very short section as first try, so this is a perfect way to test the waters. :thumbs:

I assigned you Section 8 officially and here is your personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/16302. If you prefer another reader name, like your real name or another pseudonym, just let me know and I can still change that.

Since you are new to recording, please read the first post very carefully, you will find all the details on how to say the full intro disclaimer, the outro and how to correctly name the finished file. Please be also aware that you have the final section in the project, so you also need to read the end-of-book disclaimer. ;)

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy recording and thank you for your interest in this project.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 6:03 pmHere is section 7
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0115_7_various_128kb.mp3
Old Pete is so funny! If he doesn’t come off that way it is only because I cannot do him justice. I’m sorry
:lol: no I agree, this story was very funny (and highly unbelievable). Old Pete may have had a bit of a stiff drink before setting out on the lake maybe ;) I love the energetic voice you gave him in the direct speech :thumbs: Very well narrated and all PL ok. Thank you so much, a great start !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I have Section 4? Jim