[COMPLETE] The Gentle Persuasion: Sketches of Scottish Life , by Alan Gray - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

BrizeCrize wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:11 pm Attached is section 8, running 16.25:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/gentlepersuasion_08_gray_128kb.mp3

Hate to see this title finish up...I THINK I'm getting better at phonetically spelled Scot speech. Am anxiously looking forward to hearing the attempts of others, especially those who can converse in it or have heard it more directly than myself.
Thank you,
Brize
Thank you. I've Marked it Ready for PL.

So, are you ready for some Robert Burns now? I had a bit of trouble with pronouncing some of the words, I must confess.

M
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Oh yes, bring on 'The Burns". I recently did one of his, something about a field mouse, and enjoyed it greatly. (It had been footnoted to death, which made it a bit of challenge, but I still got to pronounce all those words in 'Scotch')
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.1 and 12 PL OK :thumbs:
Nice brackets for the "Gentle Persuasion" :-)
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.8 is a pleasure to listen, Brize :clap:, just one suggestion.
The Scottish accent is optional, of course, but their capital, Edinburgh is pronounced /ˈɛdɪnbərə/ everywhere. Its wiki page even has a sound file for perfectionists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Edinburgh.ogg :D
Mentioned four times at 6:25, 10:15, 11:47, and 11:55 :D
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

The Scottish accent is optional, of course, but their capital, Edinburgh is pronounced /ˈɛdɪnbərə/ everywhere. Its wiki page even has a sound file for perfectionists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Edinburgh.ogg
Well, well, that one never even crossed my mind! (I'm near Pittsburgh, so that's my excuse) And I'm going to have to practice, too, that whole ending syllable, or pair of syllables is not currently in my repertoire of sounds, at least not the way your link does it. Websters gives a plain old 'ed-in-bara', but of course I want to get as close to the actual, more guttural, Scottish way of saying as I can, so will do some sit-ups, et al, till i am able to get it close. I don't think he's even using his vocal cords, the sound is from deep in the abdomen somewhere. Thanks for the tip, and I'll try not to get carried away...
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Attached is section 8, revised for proper pronunciation of cities. Scots will still instantly tag me as a 'far'ner' upon hearing me say 'Edinburgh', but they should know now what I am saying. The extra syllable times four took me a second longer, at 16:26. BTW, I re-do whole sentences, rather than words or even phrases, as I don't have the 'blending' skill needed for that, if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the listening AND for the geography lesson. (I learned a new way to irritate Pittsburghers too!)
Brize
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

BrizeCrize wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:54 am Attached is section 8, revised for proper pronunciation of cities. Scots will still instantly tag me as a 'far'ner' upon hearing me say 'Edinburgh', but they should know now what I am saying. The extra syllable times four took me a second longer, at 16:26. BTW, I re-do whole sentences, rather than words or even phrases, as I don't have the 'blending' skill needed for that, if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the listening AND for the geography lesson. (I learned a new way to irritate Pittsburghers too!)
Brize
Thank you.

I've marked it as Ready for Spot PL.

M

I have fun pronouncing Edinburgh like Pittsburgh to my father who is an Anglophile. :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Section 10 is open. I'll take it if no one else wants it in the next few days.

M
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

BrizeCrize wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 6:54 am Attached is section 8, revised for proper pronunciation of cities.
Sorry, Brize, I am afraid the revised version did not get uploaded. Would you mind, please, to upload your revision again?
Thank you!
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Sorry, Brize, I am afraid the revised version did not get uploaded
Oops. That wasn't the uploader's fault, rather it was...uh...operator error. Must've asked me if I wanted to overwrite and I hurridly answered incorrectly. Luckily, the Audacity file had been saved, so I didn't have to dig out my 'Scot' voice again :roll: , just re-import and upload.

Thanks for the patience,
Brize
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

BrizeCrize wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:27 am
Sorry, Brize, I am afraid the revised version did not get uploaded
Oops. That wasn't the uploader's fault, rather it was...uh...operator error. Must've asked me if I wanted to overwrite and I hurridly answered incorrectly. Luckily, the Audacity file had been saved, so I didn't have to dig out my 'Scot' voice again :roll: , just re-import and upload.

Thanks for the patience,
Brize
Marked Ready for Spot PL.

Thanks,

M
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

mleigh wrote: September 6th, 2021, 5:09 pm Section 10 is open. I'll take it if no one else wants it in the next few days.
Let me know if you'd like to move this thread to Readers Wanted.

Michael
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Kazbek wrote: September 8th, 2021, 3:34 pm
mleigh wrote: September 6th, 2021, 5:09 pm Section 10 is open. I'll take it if no one else wants it in the next few days.
Let me know if you'd like to move this thread to Readers Wanted.

Michael
Go ahead and move it back to Readers Wanted.

Thanks,

M
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

mleigh wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:58 am Go ahead and move it back to Readers Wanted.
Done. 8-)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.8 is PL OK :thumbs:
I knew this project is going to be fun :D