[COMPLETE] [1700s memoir] The Journal of Nicholas Cresswell - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AimingUp

Post by AimingUp »

Please credit me as AimingUp. Thank you.

Piotrek81 wrote: August 21st, 2021, 4:34 am
AimingUp wrote: August 21st, 2021, 3:30 am Hello,

Hope you are well! I would like to read sections 12-15 (15 included).

Thank you.
Thank you for your interest in this project. Please, let me know under what name you'd like to be credited in the catalogue. It can be your forum name, or anything else you can think of. Also, please notice the points we've established in the recent posts. (that is, 1. if you encounter words written backwards by the author, you should read them as they are written and then we're asking you to insert "note...[actual word]...end note" 2. if you enocounter unfamiliar two-or-three letter abbreviations like those mentioned a few posts above, please read them as letters. We don't know what they mean.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

AimingUp wrote: August 21st, 2021, 6:59 am Please credit me as AimingUp. Thank you.

Piotrek81 wrote: August 21st, 2021, 4:34 am
AimingUp wrote: August 21st, 2021, 3:30 am Hello,

Hope you are well! I would like to read sections 12-15 (15 included).

Thank you.
Thank you for your interest in this project. Please, let me know under what name you'd like to be credited in the catalogue. It can be your forum name, or anything else you can think of. Also, please notice the points we've established in the recent posts. (that is, 1. if you encounter words written backwards by the author, you should read them as they are written and then we're asking you to insert "note...[actual word]...end note" 2. if you enocounter unfamiliar two-or-three letter abbreviations like those mentioned a few posts above, please read them as letters. We don't know what they mean.
You have been added to the database of readers. Here's your catalogue page where you'll be able to see the details regarding the projects you've subscribed to. https://librivox.org/reader/16575
Your claim has been added to the Magic Window in the opening post.
Have a good time reading :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 8 PL OK!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Sections is 4 are up (thanks for your patience).

Section 4 is 34:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_04_cresswell_128kb.mp3
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

mattm

Post by mattm »

Section 11 ready for PL:
33:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_11_cresswell_128kb.mp3

To follow up, may I please claim sections 16, 17, and 18?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

JenniferFour wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:15 pm Sections is 4 are up (thanks for your patience).

Section 4 is 34:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_04_cresswell_128kb.mp3
mattm wrote: August 21st, 2021, 11:19 pm Section 11 ready for PL:
33:16
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_11_cresswell_128kb.mp3

To follow up, may I please claim sections 16, 17, and 18?
Thank you both! Your sections have been put in the MW.

Sections 16,17 and 18 have been reserved for you, Matt :)

And we're fully claimed :D
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 9 PL OK!
Colleen McMahon

AimingUp

Post by AimingUp »

Hello,

I hope you are well. Here is the recording for section 12! It's length is 45:51.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_12_cresswell_128kb_mp3.mp3

Thank you.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Moving the thread to Readers Found.
mattm

Post by mattm »

I re-uploaded Section 11 after noticing I repeated an entry. New length 33:10.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

AimingUp wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am Hello,

I hope you are well. Here is the recording for section 12! It's length is 45:51.

Thank you.
Hi AimingUp! Welcome to Librivox!

I haven't listened to all of this section yet, but I was downloading it to do a quick check on the technical specs. I noticed that it begins kind of abruptly at the beginning of a diary entry. Please make sure to use the section introduction that includes the Librivox disclaimer at the beginning of each section you record. You can find it under the "magic window" (list of the sections of the book) in the first post. Make sure to read it from there because each book coordinator in different projects may have slightly different ways of phrasing the intro. Also, leave a half-second to one second of silence before you begin speaking (when I record I usually start the recording and then end up with several seconds as I switch over to the tab to read the intro -- after I finish recording and begin editing, I cut that down to a half second making sure to cut out the mouse clicks, throat clearing etc!

Also at the end, I noticed that you leave about 5 seconds of silence between the end of the text and then the "end of section" announcement, but then no space after this. The five seconds should be left after "end of section 12" and only a second or two between the end of the text and the end of section announcement.

In checking the technical specs, Checker noted a very high level of background noise (50.2) - I usually try to get it down to between 24.2 (the lowest the software goes) and 30 dB. You can reduce the background noise using the Noise Reduction function in Audacity; you may need to run it more than once to lower it sufficiently, but beware, the sound can become rather tinny or like you are at the bottom of a well if you noise clean too heavily.

The best way to reduce the background noise is to record in as quiet a setting as possible, then less use of Noise Reduction is needed. I noticed a high-pitched whine noise in some of the recording as I sampled it -- if you have a noisy laptop fan, it may be good to run on battery power while recording, or move the laptop further away from the microphone. You can also cut down on echo and background noise by recording in an area that has a lot of fabric surfaces, like a bedroom with bedding/carpeting/curtains. Some people record in walk in closets because the clothes tend to block and absorb echoes and outside noises!

Finally, in my quick listen to small segments of the recording, I noticed a fair amount of clunking and thumping noises, which can be distracting to listeners. Microphones, especially if the gain is turned up high, can pick up even the smallest movements and rustles and make them sound enormous! I have learned to set up my recording area beforehand, get situated, and hold very still while recording. If I shift positions or have to turn a page or fiddle with my tablet, click the mouse, take a drink or cough, I leave a stretch of several seconds that is easily visible in the recording graph. Then when I finish the recording, one of my first steps is to quickly look back through and cut out all the larger stretches of "silence" so I don't even have to listen back to those noises when I do my full edit.

This all sounds complicated but these are all steps that are in pretty much any section you record, and they quickly become routine and automatic! If you want to try cleaning and reuploading the file, and adding the correct intro and outro, you can go ahead and do it; it will be a day or two at least before I get to do the full listen. Just let me know in the thread if you reupload, and what the adjusted length of the recording is.
Colleen McMahon

AimingUp

Post by AimingUp »

Hello. I hope you are well. Thank you very much for your feedback! I have re-recorded it with little to no background noise and kept myself still while recording. The new time is 38:36. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/journal_12_cresswell_128kb.mp3

ColleenMc wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 11:36 am
AimingUp wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am Hello,

Thank you.
Hi AimingUp! Welcome to Librivox!

I haven't listened to all of this section yet, but I was downloading it to do a quick check on the technical specs. I noticed that it begins kind of abruptly at the beginning of a diary entry. Please make sure to use the section introduction that includes the Librivox disclaimer at the beginning of each section you record. You can find it under the "magic window" (list of the sections of the book) in the first post. Make sure to read it from there because each book coordinator in different projects may have slightly different ways of phrasing the intro. Also, leave a half-second to one second of silence before you begin speaking (when I record I usually start the recording and then end up with several seconds as I switch over to the tab to read the intro -- after I finish recording and begin editing, I cut that down to a half second making sure to cut out the mouse clicks, throat clearing etc!

Also at the end, I noticed that you leave about 5 seconds of silence between the end of the text and then the "end of section" announcement, but then no space after this. The five seconds should be left after "end of section 12" and only a second or two between the end of the text and the end of section announcement.

In checking the technical specs, Checker noted a very high level of background noise (50.2) - I usually try to get it down to between 24.2 (the lowest the software goes) and 30 dB. You can reduce the background noise using the Noise Reduction function in Audacity; you may need to run it more than once to lower it sufficiently, but beware, the sound can become rather tinny or like you are at the bottom of a well if you noise clean too heavily.

The best way to reduce the background noise is to record in as quiet a setting as possible, then less use of Noise Reduction is needed. I noticed a high-pitched whine noise in some of the recording as I sampled it -- if you have a noisy laptop fan, it may be good to run on battery power while recording, or move the laptop further away from the microphone. You can also cut down on echo and background noise by recording in an area that has a lot of fabric surfaces, like a bedroom with bedding/carpeting/curtains. Some people record in walk in closets because the clothes tend to block and absorb echoes and outside noises!

Finally, in my quick listen to small segments of the recording, I noticed a fair amount of clunking and thumping noises, which can be distracting to listeners. Microphones, especially if the gain is turned up high, can pick up even the smallest movements and rustles and make them sound enormous! I have learned to set up my recording area beforehand, get situated, and hold very still while recording. If I shift positions or have to turn a page or fiddle with my tablet, click the mouse, take a drink or cough, I leave a stretch of several seconds that is easily visible in the recording graph. Then when I finish the recording, one of my first steps is to quickly look back through and cut out all the larger stretches of "silence" so I don't even have to listen back to those noises when I do my full edit.

This all sounds complicated but these are all steps that are in pretty much any section you record, and they quickly become routine and automatic! If you want to try cleaning and reuploading the file, and adding the correct intro and outro, you can go ahead and do it; it will be a day or two at least before I get to do the full listen. Just let me know in the thread if you reupload, and what the adjusted length of the recording is.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'm glad to see we're getting ever closer to the end :) I hope everyone has had a good time reading this one.